Jump to content
  • Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Explorer 10/1 Bermuda Review


Recommended Posts

Just back today. I am uploading my pictures right now and will work on the review. I am here to answer your questions.


For all that want to know...


Deck 8 bedding was changed during the week and the mattresses were out in the hall this morning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did you notice whether or not they took any alcohol out of checked luggage?

Thanks and I hope you had a great time.


If you mean what we brought on then no. It was in our luggage as we packed it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am going to Bermuda on 10/21 on the Empress. How was the weather? Still warm enough for the beaches?


The first day in Bermuda was wonderful. We were able to wear shorts and go to the beach. We didn't go in the water but a lot of people did. Lots of swimming on the ship too. The second day was overcast and cooler. I thought it was chilly but many still went to the beach and the pools. On the last sea day is was very windy and cool.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We were on the Explorer for the 9 night cruise on 9/22 - 10/1

Yes, we had paint spray on our car...not bad though, came off easily.

We were on deck 6 - cabin 6222 - no new bedding for us! But we had no problems with the old bedding. Slept like a baby.

We packed an 18 pack of beer and a rather large bottle of pre-mixed Cosmos in our checked luggage and both were delivered to the room. We had the room stewart empty the mini-fridge and put our own beer & soda in it. We also brought a little 6 pack cooler and he would fill it with ice every day - we would put a couple of beers in it and sit on the balcony - made DH happy with his beer and me with my Cosmo!

It was a wonderful cruise - excellent service, great food and entertainment.

Enjoy!! :p

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We arrived at the port around 11:30. There was a short line for drop off/parking that took about 15 minutes. We got into the line on the right which took us to the parking lot. We walked our luggage over to the terminal and dropped it off with the porters. Once in the terminal we waited in line for 5 minutes. The check in was a breeze. We had printed out the docs from the website. We walked right up to get our sea pass pictures taken and then onto the shuttle. After getting off the shuttle we walked over to a table to get the kids their wrist bands and then onto the ship. From the car to the ship took about 20 minutes with a bathroom break in there somewhere.


Once we were on the ship we headed straight to our stateroom 8214. The room was ready so we dropped off our bags and headed up to the Windjammer. I bought the soda card for myself at the entrance of the Windjammer. There was also a table for the wine package. I got my money’s worth out of the card. I was able to get a diet sprite at most of the bars. After lunch we wondered around the ship. We had never sailed on a ship of this size. We absolutely loved the promenade. We returned to our cabin at about 3 and soon after our luggage arrived. We unpacked and set aside some clothes for pressing. We noticed the extra pillows smelled musty so we left a note and a tip for the stateroom attendent requesting new pillows and an egg crate mattress. We had a new bed frame but not a new mattress. The sheets were all new but the comforter was the old one. We wandered around some more and then attended the muster drill. After the drill we went up to the front of the ship to watch the sail away.



We decided to eat in the Windjammer every night of this cruise. We had never eaten anywhere other than the dining room before. The food in the Windjammer was very good. Always something we liked and most of the time we got seconds. We ate in the Windjammer every day for lunch and a few days for breakfast. We did order breakfast in our cabin every morning. The first morning we had filled out the card to be left on the door. Our breakfast was complete that morning. The other mornings we ordered it on the tv the night before. This is not the best way to do that. We did not get everything we ordered when we did this. There was always something missing and the cereal was usually wrong. We did eat lunch in the dining room on the last sea day. The food was excellent but the service was a little slow.



We did not see all the shows. The first night was the parade in the promenade. We really enjoyed that. Get there early so you can get a seat. We sat outside the Crown & Kettle. We were a little disappointed that there was only one parade. We went to the first night show which was pretty good. The cruise director was Ashley. She was good but we have enjoyed our previous cruise directors. She wasn’t as ‘lively’ as some of the others. The only other show we saw in the theater was the last night. We did not like the magician. We did like the other entetainers. It was a couple from Austraila that did an acrobatic/arial thing. We saw the ice show on the first sea day. It was good but not as great as I expected from what I heard on Cruise Critic.



I spent most of my time in the Crown & Kettle. The bar staff was great. It is amazing that they remember your name after being there only once. The music in there was good. We also liked the latin band in the Aquarium bar.



Our attendent was very good. We enjoyed our towel animals. The room was always very clean. We received the new comforter on the second or third day which was nice. We did notice that they had the new mattresses out in the halls the morning we were leaving so deck 8 should be complete now.



Can’t say enough about the staff. They were wonderful. The kids really enjoyed themselves. My daughters were in the 3-5 and 9-11 groups. They ate with the kids on day 2 and 3 for dinner and days 3 and 4 for lunch. They stayed until 1 AM one night. It was very hard to get them to do anything with us.



We took the salsa dance class which we enjoyed. The quest was great as usual. We watched the Love & Marriage on TV which is always entertaining. We went to the night club one night for the 70’s music and the Village People. We used the gym a couple of times. The equipment is good. There were a lot of family activities but we were always doing something else so we didn’t make any. We went ice skating, played mini golf and in line skating. We probably did many other things but I can’t remember it all now.



We woke at 7:30 and were out of our cabin by 8:15. We had purple tags. We ate in the Windjammer and then waited in the theater. The started calling colors around 9:30. The delay seemed to be people that didn’t show up for customs. We heard them calling names for about an hour. Once they started calling colors it went pretty quick. When we were on the shuttle we squished by a couple with their luggage. I understand that people like to take their own luggage instead of checking it but they should put a limit on how many pieces. They had 3 large suitcases and their carry ons. The baggage was easy to find. Customs look all of 1 minute. The porter took our bags to the pick up area and we were on our way in minutes.



We liked the promenade. The staff was wonderful in all areas of the ship. We have sailed on the Rhapsody and Majesty previous to this. I really missed the Solarium Café. I also missed the self serve beverage station that was located on the pool deck on the other cruises.


Overall the cruise was wonderful. We had a really great time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Welcome to Cruise Critic
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
  • Create New...