Stolen Hubcaps

kingfish78734

I also had a "Parking Lot Incident" not too long ago... We bought a new minivan the Wednesday before last Memorial Day. Then 3 weeks later we parked it at an Off-Site parking lot at LaGuardia Airport in New York for a week vacation to Jamaica.

When we came back after the vacation, there was a nice big dent on the rear bumper. Of course I was furious, but it was 1am, no manager on duty. The parking attendant on duty was helpful, he filled out some report and took polariod pictures of the damage.

On the Monday after, I called to talk with the owner, who wasnt there, he was on vacation. I spoke with some "Supervisor" who told me if I was sure the damage was not already there. I told him that the van was just 3 weeks old with 500 miles and yes I was sure. He then asked if I had the parking attendant do a damage-check when I dropped off the car to note any damage, and I said, No, that that was their job. Then he said because I didnt do that, that there was no proof that the damage had actually taken place at the parking lot.

Needless to say, I flew off the handle. Right off, I told him I would see them in Small Claims Court. He said there wasnt anything he could do as the owner was away. In the meantime, I got an estimate to have the damage repaired which turned out to be $400.

When the owner got back, he apologised for his Supervisor's behavior and that he would have the van fixed. But only if I used his friend's body shop in Queens. I'm in CT and it is quite a pain to get to Queens, leave the van with them for a few days and then go back there a second time to pick it up. Plus, how do I know if his friend's body shop is any good. Maybe they would completely botch up the van. The body shop near me where I got the estimate had done work for me before when my wife backed my other car into a dumpster. I told him this was unacceptable but he insisted on using his friend's body shop. His rational was that his friend could do the same job for $200 as opposed my body shop's $400. I offered to split the difference so in the end he sent me $300. I ended up $100 out of pocket but that was better than putting in an insurance claim or wasting time dropping off and picking up the van at the body shop in Queens.

Either way Kingfish, you have got to tell them that you will take them to Small Claims Court. Despite the "disclaimers" that these Parking Lots use, we still pay them to take care of our cars and that includes losing hubcaps and body damage.

I'm glad to hear some feedback on this lot since we are cruising out of Galveston in a couple of days. This lot has ads in the Dallas Morning News travel section every Sunday, and we considered parking there, too. We'll definitely reconsider that thought. Thanks for the info, and I hope you get your issue resolved sooner than later.

In response to the OP:

You say repeatedly this has nothing to do with the hubcaps and nothing to do with money, yet by your own account you originally called the owner to ask for reimbursement for your stolen hubcaps. When the owner replied that you should file it with your insurance, you immediately insinuated that you would file a lawsuit. Sounds like it was about the money from the get go.

That said, there's nothing wrong with admitting that this is about getting money back you believe you are due. If I put my car in a lot that advertised itself as "secure," I would certainly expect them to make good faith efforts to ensure they delivered. If they did not, I would expect to be reimbursed for damage that they did nothing to prevent.

Maybe this is all about semantics - you say it's about customer service, but from your original post, it seemed that customer service meant financial compensation. Or would you truly be satisfied with nothing more than an apology that your car was vandalized? I sure wouldn't!

As a happy prior user of EZ Cruise, I sought to hear the other side of the story before deciding where to park for my next cruise. Here is what Cindy said. I did not say I would not use EZ cruise again, I just said I was looking for input.

But, I am not sure that hanging up is the proper way to get satisfaction....if that's what the OP did.

"I am sorry to hear that you will not be using our facility. Yes,

unfortunately, we had a case of theft on our lot. The is first, since our

inception 2 years ago. Our lot is as secure as any other lot in Galveston-

more so in come cases; but incidences will occur. The best we can do is to

take measures to further guard against this particular problem. But of

course, no system is foolproof.

In the paricular incidence that you are referring to, the customer did not

give us the opportunity to come up with a viable solution. Rightfully so,

the customer was very upset at the time they presented the situation to

me; but before I could properly and thoroughly respond, she hung up.

I assure you that overall EZCruise has always had a reputation of being

responsive and professional with the handling of our customers: no matter

what the situation may be.

Sincerely,

Cindy

As a happy prior user of EZ Cruise, I sought to hear the other side of the story before deciding where to park for my next cruise. Here is what Cindy said. I did not say I would not use EZ cruise again, I just said I was looking for input.

But, I am not sure that hanging up is the proper way to get satisfaction....if that's what the OP did.

Sincerely,

Cindy

very interesting.....thanks for sharing....

I expect the owner of EZ thought this would go away quietly. I am wondering just what her "viable solution" might be? It sure seems the instant solution would have been to call the police (which the OP sttaes happened) and EZ Cruise would be cutting a check and filing this claim on THEIR insurance!!!

The $400 refund to make this right may just cost them more in the long-run, especially since most non-port facilities rely on word of mouth or thru internet message boards and advertising to utilize their facilities. Most folks not "in the know" from the internet/word of mouth/advertising just use the port facilities recommended by the cruiseline.

that's pretty much the same reply I received...see below

Dear ,

I am sorry to hear that you will not be using our facility. Yes, unfortunately, we had a case of theft on our lot. The is first, since our inception 2 years ago. Our lot is as secure as any other lot in Galveston- more so in come cases; but incidences will occur. The best we can do is to take measures to further guard against this particular problem. But of course, no system is foolproof.

In the paricular incidence that you are referring to, the customer did not give us the opportunity to come up with a viable solution. Rightfully so, the customer was very upset at the time they presented the situation to me; but before I could properly and thoroughly respond, she hung up.

I assure you that overall EZCruise has always had a reputation of being responsive and professional with the handling of our customers: no matter what the situation may be.

Sincerely,

Cindy

I then asked about security or the lack there of.....I'll post the reply if one is received.....I also linked this thread in my email

Boy people sure do get hostile.

Tim, I think you are right. (If that helps).

Being in customer service is not an easy job. I have had customers who were upset and ranting. I let them. Then I always say lets all think of a solution.

Cindy was rude to you. She should have let you vent. The best way was for her to ask you to step into her office and work things out. She did not appear to even want to work it out.

Just out of curiosty, was anything else messed with at the lot?

You did the right thing in telling us not to use EZ. I for one will not!!!

The others who have used them and are happy, thats great. The real problem is the customer service. Did they like riding in school buses, or walking to go pick up the car? Thats great. To each his own.

Linda

:)

I really don't have a dog in this race, but I will say the following:

EZ is cheaper, Lot 1 is elevated and much closer than any other lot. If you need luggage assist, you don't require two rides to the pier which is very time consuming in peak traffic. I can't imagine most folks not using two rides to/from the "official" lots.

On my last cruise, I used the self debark, walked to Lot 1, picked up my car and then picked up my family and bags. Hardly broke a sweat.

On a prior cruise, we just walked to the Lot and avoided the shuttle system entirely. Many do this. What is it....about four blocks away?

What weighs on my mind is that I have only used Lot 1 before. I have not used any "official" lot before, nor am I familiar with Lot 2.

Sincerely,

Cindy

The OP is a guy named Tim. Cindy refers to "she."

We parked at EZ Cruise when we sailed on the Conquest in March. I'm assuming that we parked in Lot 1, but I gotta tell you, it didn't give me a good feeling. I wouldn't and haven't recommended EZ Cruise to anyone. It seemed like it was very unorganized. We choose to walk to the port and then back to our car without using their shuttle service.

We will probably try Lighthouse on our next cruise out of Galveston, or have someone drop us off as we live very close.

With all due respect, your post, at least to me, is nonsensical. If you haven't a clue about what it means then how on earth can you doubt that a judge would do it?

As a criminal defense attorney, I am surprised that you would make a statement regarding something about which you proclaim you "haven't a clue". Very, very poor workmanship, counselor. Hmmm. (shaking my head with disappointment)

With all due respect to you . . . I still haven't a clue about what it means to "smack someone on their pee pee" . . . and I also have no doubt that there is not a judge, in any jursidiction, that would "smack" anyone anywhere . . . especially on one's "private parts."

You've made your point . . . you've also helped to alert others to the lack of security at this particular parking lot. Now take a deep breath and follow the suggestions given you. This is a cruise board and not somewhere for one to continute to vent one's frustrations over losing one's hubcaps.

Cindy was rude to you. She should have let you vent. The best way was for her to ask you to step into her office and work things out. She did not appear to even want to work it out.

Linda

:)

In all fairness, we really don't know Cindy's side of the story. We also don't know what kind of tone or manner the OP used when approaching her.

My husband says "no matter how flat the pancake is, it's always got two sides."

Hi All,

Just returned from Ecstacy cruise today. Parked at EZCruise in Galveston. Returned to lot to get my car and the hubcaps had been stolen. Spoke to the owner on our shuttle driver's cell phone and was told to call the police and get a police report. I then asked how they were going to compensate me for the hubcaps stolen from their supposedly "secure" lot and was told "that's what your insurance is for". I couldn't BELIEVE this response!!!! I said "no, that's what lawyers are for" and said goodbye. I then spoke to two different employees of theirs and they told me that they have been trying to get the owner to hire a security guard to no avail and that the "24 hour security system" consists of two cameras....HA!!! Don't get me wrong, I'm only mildly upset about the hubcaps...they could have been stolen anywhere. But the fact that EZCruise's website assures safety and security, I believe that the company assumes liability, and certainly, if nothing else, a better attitude towards customer service and satisfaction. (I have not yet begun to fight!!!! and I'll continue to update the results.) Thanks for listening and I would recommend to ALL to use a lot OTHER than EZCruise in Galveston.

You say it's not about the MONEY or THE HUBCAPS but it is. If you didn't care about it you would have parked somewhere else. I think it cost more to park at the Port parking lots and I think it is the same or a little more to park at the Lighthouse. If you did not care you would have parked some where else instead of parking there. We all park there because it is "CHEAP" it has cameras, and razor wire around it......who else has that?? Do you think when someone gets hit by a baseball, hockey puck or even a golf they sue the player? Do you think your comments are going to stop people from parking at a less expensive place? Am I going to quit going to baseball, hockey games, or see Tiger Woods!! NO, I don't think so miss whinnie pants. You are telling us if they were to have given you your $35 dollars back you wouldn't be here telling us; all you got was $35 dollars? You see missy it is about the money and you need to grow up and take responsibility. When I take my car or truck to be serviced I don't leave anything I don't want to mysteriously disappear. I looked up your hubcaps you must have had a few sets in the back of your truck a whopping $115. EzCruise has always done a great job for me and my friends, are they perfect, no they are not and neither is anyother business. You just had Hubcaps stolen they have stolen WHOLE CARS from the Port, Hotels, and The other parking lots I wish the nice officer would have told you this. That is probably why he was telling you how lucky you were. EZ Cruise owns their own Busses and they use the ones that help keep the cost to you and me down. I will continue to use them and I am glad we have a choice to where we can park. Did you know if it were not for EZ Cruise you wouldn't. They went thru hell to fight the Port and and because of there diligence and perseverance I can pay $35 instead of $50 or $55 instead of $75. Yes robbers and thieves will always be with us and I hope people like EzCruise will always fight for choice. By the way of all the parking lots EZCruise is the only member of the BBB. We are all sad for your $115 hubcap lost but we are not anymore safer in our ohomes or walking across the street. I will always use them not only because of the price but the customer service they have always given me, my family, and friends.

Okay, I'll try again. As I have said several times previously, it's not about the hubcaps...it's about a business promising "24 hour security""peace of mind that your vehicle will be safe and secure" and then when your car is damaged due to their non-security, they, in their arrogance, tell you to sit on it and spin.

I know that the following is an EXTREME analogy but during this trip we also boarded our dogs. I felt safe boarding my dogs with the business that we did because they had someone at the facility 24 hours a day, monitoring all of the dogs, and controlling access to the entry of the facility. Now, if my dogs had been stolen, would not the facility have responsibility for that? If they had allowed someone in to steal my dogs, after promising "24 hour security"and "peace of mind that your dog will be safe and secure", would that not be their fault? (rhetorical)

And even MORE extreme....what if it were a child?

As I keep saying....It's not about the hubcaps. It's about this business owner taking responsibility for and standing behind their promises.

I don't know how to make it any clearer.

Tim, I think that some of us understand where you're coming from and don't go around with blinders on.:) And yes if I left my vehicle in a "secured" lot then I would expect that business to make sure that nothing happened to it while it was parked under their care. I am not surprised by some of the comments made here. I guess we now have cheerleaders for parking lots!!!!!

And what makes you think you would have better service if they had been stolen from the Galveston port authority parking lot? Or a hotel parking lot.

I'm not sure if "informing" your clients to use alternative parking arrangements is in their best interest. It wouldn't be in mine.

Snoozeman, please know that I won't be advising anyone not to use this facility. I'll just be warning them not to assume it's totally secure, because I think that's what most cruise passengers expect when they leave their vehicles in a port garage. And, I'll be presenting them with several options, including less expensive options with the same less than perfect security.

Luckily Tim only lost hubcaps. What if the theif decided to go further....break into his vehichle and take his "factory" stereo and other personal belongings? It's still a violation of "his" personal property. (Put the shoe on the other foot) This is why insurance premiums go up, and I certainly wouldn't want to place a claim if another party is responsible. I'm certain EZCruise has liability insurance, but they'd be wise to settle in some way with Tim and continue to beef up security like they said.

And...check out all of post #90 Rickyf5's posts!! All have been praising EZ Cruise!!! Makes you wonder, huh??

I also wonder how someone who does not know anything about the OP vehicle could "look up" the cost of their stolen hubcaps. Sounds like maybe EZ Cruise posts to CC!!!

It makes NO difference how much the hubcaps cost $1 or $1000. If they were stolen while the vehicle was parked in a secured lot, then the owner of the lot should be responsible for replacing the hubcaps.

Hi All,

I would like to clarify a couple of points.

1) Yes, when the incident happened, I was certainly wanting my hubcaps replaced or compensation for them. Since that was not forthcoming by the owner and the tone and attitude that she displayed, the situation became much more than about hubcaps. It evolved: from a simple monetary fix that was dismissed by the lot owner with a "it's not my problem, it's yours" kind of answer that changed my feeling into "this person does not deserve my nor anyone else's patronage, if I can get the word out."

2) I did not call Cindy. When I arrived at the lot on the shuttle bus (about 20 minutes after getting through customs) I saw that my hubcaps were gone. The shuttle driver on whose bus I rode called Cindy on HIS cell phone. Also, I did not "hang up" on Cindy...hell, I didn't even look for a button on this unfamiliar cell phone, but I handed it back to the shuttle driver who then said a few words to her and then hung up. He then apologized to me over and over again and said that he couldn't believe her response to me.

3) I don't know who's "other side of the story" rchauv received from Cindy, but it certainly wasn't the other side of MY story, for the last time I checked, I am still intact and (much to my and my wife's relief) most decidedly MALE!! LOL

4) I don't believe, that if the poster actually talked to Cindy, that Cindy was being entirely forthcoming about the number or frequency of incidents at her "secure" parking lot. I mentioned in a previous post that Officer Rojas did a very good job. I also mentioned that Officer Rojas was forthcoming with information. SHE (for she was decidedly female, not male as some other poster said) told me that just about a week ago, she was called out to this very same lot because someone's car windows had been smashed with a brick. I find it hard to believe that this officer would make up a story like this just for grins, but I can see why the owner of this lot would want to keep a lid on it (if, in fact, that's what she actually said). The officer also pointed and said that the "projects" (her word, not mine, so don't flame me please lol) were only about a half a block away and that these criminals either cut a hole in the fence or climb over.

Thanks for listening.:)

With all due respect to you . . . I still haven't a clue about what it means to "smack someone on their pee pee"

If I can contribute nothing else to this discussion it is this

That is what it means to "smack someone on their pee pee"

If I can contribute nothing else to this discussion it is this

That is what it means to "smack someone on their pee pee"

That's funny.....base and childish, yes......but still funny:) .

When I said "smack her in her pee pee" I didn't think that anyone would take that as anything other than figuratively, but apparently some did. Who knew?

Archived