We rea leaving Friday on Airtran any recent problems

crazycruzer68

My airline of choice. Note the newness of thier aircraft and the friendliness of their crews. FAA ranks them "best of all for baggage handling" and second overall for service. Example: Delta ranks 11th.

AirTran is a financially healthy airline, no worries there.

Inflight service is the basic, drinks & pretzels only.

They do offer XM Satellite Radio for inflight entertainment - a nice choice if you ask me.

My only gripe with AirTran is that their seat pitch is only 30" (most arilines are 31"-33") which makes for a tight fit, especially if you are 5'10" or taller.

Oh oh - we have 3 men that are over 6 foot tall.

Does anyone know the on-time percentage? We have a connecting flight in Atlanta that gives us around 35 minutes to get to another gate. Hopefully it will be in the same terminal :eek:

We flew AirTran to Hawaii a couple of years ago. The aircraft itself was quite comfortable, but we had horrendous service on the way back. The flight attendents were rude and not at all accomodating.

In AirTran's defense, however, they did send us a couple of $100 vouchers after I wrote a complaint email The only problem is that the only flights out of Phoenix that we would use, would be to Hawaii again...LOL...and we couldn't afford that two years in a row.

Becky

Of all the airlines I've flown, Air Tran has been the most likely to hold a plane for passengers from another flight.

Last week, on the way to Florida for my Mom's surgery, I was happy they held the flight for about 3 minutes so I could make it.

On the way home, I wasn't as thrilled (after a 2+ hour layover in Atlanta) when they held the flight for an hour so passengers from three other delayed flights could make it.

How much does business class cost if there are seats available? Do you get them at the airport? Is the price based on length of the trip?

Sorry for the questions, but we've never flown AirTran before.

How much does business class cost if there are seats available? Do you get them at the airport? Is the price based on length of the trip?

Sorry for the questions, but we've never flown AirTran before.

The price ranges from $40-$80 depending on the length of the trip. They have a listing of the brackets on their website if you are interested (http://www.airtran.com/business_class.aspx). But everytime I've flown AirTran, this type of upgrade has never been available. I think part of it is due to the fact that there are only 12 business class seats on their planes and that their business class is priced so low to begin with that they are usually purchased out-right at time of booking.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh oh - we have 3 men that are over 6 foot tall.

Does anyone know the on-time percentage? We have a connecting flight in Atlanta that gives us around 35 minutes to get to another gate. Hopefully it will be in the same terminal :eek:

Hi and thanks to everyone who made the nice comments about AirTran. We try harder because we know who our competition is. As to your question about a 35 min connection - AirTran does use two concourses in Atlanta - one half of C (gates 1 - 20) and the top half of D (gates 1 -12 randomly). Your conn is great if you arrive and depart on the same concourse, but changing concourses does involve, walk, escalator, underground train, escalator and walk. You won't be able to check in 24 hrs ahead as it sounds like you have a connection and not a through flight. When you check in for your first leg, you will also be checked in for your second leg, so at that point you'll have a good idea of your gates. My suggestion would be to check in as many bags as possible, carry on just the basics and not be delayed taking excess baggage out of the overheads. Also, you may wish to consider taking seats that are not together, so that you can be in first half of the aircraft.

Are you flying out of Kelly Bishop or Metro? Bishop is one of my favorite airports - 5 mins from gate to door,,,does it get any better!!!

asuwife - Sorry to hear about the rude service on your trip to Hawaii, but it was not AirTran - we have never had flights to that great state nor do we fly to Phoeniz. We are commonly confused with ATA. But it is a very common error and hopefully, one day, you'll get a chance to try AirTran.

quinceemom

I was wondering if the gate would be listed on any of the documents when we check in at the airport in Miami. I would hope that the flight attendant would be able to find out before landing in Atlanta so we'd know where to go if they aren't on our documents. We are booked as a group and our seats are all up front so hopefully we'll be able to get up and get ready to sprint to the next gate! We have almost a 3 hour layover going to Miami from Detroit Metro, so we should have plenty of time to get to the next gate in Atlanta:p .

I have to say that the Customer Service Department and the Group Booking Department have been excellent to work with.

When you check in at MIA, you will probably get your boarding passes for the next segment which will have your gate assignment. However, and a big however, gate assignments can and do change for any variety of reasons. As soon as you deplane in ATL, the will be a Cust Svc person at the top of the jetbridge who has the current gate assignments and times. (Whew, feel like I'm doing the landing announcment!) The FA's do not have gate assignments or times,,,,they're impossible to get while in flight. You may wish to go online and pull up the website for ATL airport and that way you can visualize the layout. Have a great flight. DH and I are flying down to San Juan in less 3 weeks on another airline and it will be great for me to just back, relax and enjoy the flight.

Thanks quinceemom. We'll look for the Customer Service person. There are 14 of us so the run will be on when we de-plane! I always thought the flight attendants had that information, but now I know different! We have a real short time to get to the next gate, so I hope we can pull it off.

quinceemom. The AirTran "team" is doing as great job. And I mean from Joe down to the lowley baggage handler to the gate agents. You are to be commended. It's no wonder why you rank 2nd in overall service and numero uno in baggage handling of all domestic airlines.

Is quinceemom a flight attendant? If so, what- if anything- would be the benefit of upgrading to business class if any seats are available? I presume larger seats would be it. There are maybe 3 or 4 of us that may want to upgrade at the airport.

We have been treated very nicely when calling and we're looking forward to this trip! Of the 14 going, 7 will be small children and every one of them are very excited about going!:D

Archived