What to do in GC?

shugzie

Hello everyone!

Ok, I've been to GC several times and always did a combo sting ray city/snorkel trip. I don't want to do that again. I have no desire to wonder around town shopping. I wanted to go to Margaritaville until I read the reviews on that.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do while in port or an excursion. I would like to sight see but I'm crusing alone so I won't rent a jeep. Are there any private tour operators there I could book a sight seeing tour with or any good excursions?

Thanks!

This will be more difficult alone, but if you can find someone else on your cruise interested (see the roll call section for your cruise) the following can be great.

My wife and I met another couple on the boards that wanted to do something different and we rented a car and drove to a place called Rum Point and it was amazing!

Public beach, restaurant, bar, and virtually no tourists. I felt like we were stuck in a corona commercial! Pristine beach, beautiful water, hammocks already in the trees....paradise.

I talked with a couple on our cruise and they took a six hour tour of Grand Cayman and really enjoyed it.

Hope this helps.

Rum point is about a 35-45 minute drive from the port. Its really not that far, if you pull up a map of GC, you will see it is on the northeast tip of the bay where everyone goes stringray diving. The key is that you have to drive all the way around the island to get there :)

We rented from Cayman Auto Rentals, and they were fine, but I have also heard good things about Andy's.

You do not need a 4x4. its all paved, and it is pretty easy to get to.

If you like to move at your own pace, Rum Point is the place for you...it was awesome.

Hope this helps :)

We booked in advance, we wanted to make sure we had all of the prices firm and in writing when we arrived. I dont know if it is a problem, but we didnt want to give away our leverage, once your there you kinda have to take what they got and pay what they ask.

Good Luck!

• 1 month later...

"We usually just take the local bus around - one direction to Pedro St. James and on the next cruise to Hell (and back)."

I am interested in the above now. I did a search and found this info on the local city bus and its routes here :

http://www.caymanvacations.com/indexmenu.htm?general/bus_service.htm&2

For a great map of GC, look here :

http://maps.caymanlandinfo.ky/imagemapfiles/gcindex.htm

Click on 26 and 29 that is where the cruise ship terminals are.

Looks very promising to just get on one of these city buses and see a bit of GC.

Hope this helps someone.

Archived