Room at the Bend

mugiber

I am looking at the room at the bend on the Navigation Deck SS8099 on the Noordam. Is it better to have this bend or is the bending deck not as good. On other levels this room is downgraded and so I am thinking we should change rooms. I called HAL and it is slightly smaller(277 sqft) but this is not a big deal to me.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/fleet/deckPlan.do?ship=no&deck=n&year=next

Thanks.

I'm not sure what you mean by "on other levels this room is downgraded." But at any rate I don't see anything wrong with this SS location. Your verandah door will face slightly forward, but I can't see any real negative here."

The only reason it's downgraded to an SB on Deck 7 is because it is slightly smaller than a standard SA stateroom - with a regular sofa instead of the sectional.

However on Deck 8, the staterooms are slightly larger in floorspace than comparable SS's and are therefore the same grade, but on Deck 6 the SZ verandahs on the bends appear to be slightly narrower and therefore slightly less desirable than the SY's.

Maybe there is slightly less privacy on those verandas.....more visible to people on other verandas. Of course, (if you're a Snoop ;) ) it would make it possible for you to see onto other people's verandas in return.

I personally have not had that cabin but we were in an SS on the same deck on the Oosterdam and eventually met the couple in that cabin. Their only comment, and our observation too, was that when they were on their verandah they felt like that whole side of the ship could see them. They liked the cabin but commented that the slightly extra floor space and verandah were not worth the exposure and they'd not book it again. Might add that this is a "suite" in name only and does not get the suite amenities like priority boarding, access to the Neptune Lounge, etc. (The couple's attitude about the room might have been slightly impacted by their TA mistakenly telling them they would have suite privileges. This was when the Oosterdam was new and the introduction of SS category was causing even more confusion then than it does now.)

I guess the issue has already been solved here......but I would like to comment on this cabin.

I would love to have 8099. The balcony is bigger, the cabin is bigger, and the view foward is great!

As far as privacy, it features a "private" area, the straight section by the divider is as private as other cabins on this deck.

The "public" area is on the angle and the straight section toward aft.

Also any of these cabins seem to be the same width as all the others in similar categories.....the angle area is an extra. I don't know why HAL has these rated lower (Z), when to me they are larger and more desirable.

I stayed in SZ6052 and it was the most wonderful cabin I have ever stayed in! I suspect the Z designation is more for their different shape than less desirability. The problem now is that you can be "upgraded" out of a SZ and into a higher level SY.....which would be a loss to me!

Basically suite size without the suite perks!

I am not sure if the room is bigger and actually think it is smaller. I called HAL and it is 277...but I am not sure what the standard SS is. In addtion my TA (and I think HAL) told me the balcony is actually smaller. In any case, if you have been there, sounds like you would recommend it. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Choice again..

Whats goes on on the Noordam stays on the Noordam *S*:D

The Dutch say if the curtains are closed then something thats is not supposed to going on is... thats why everyone leaves there curtains open and are an open society..:eek:

I am looking at the room at the bend on the Navigation Deck SS8099 on the Noordam. Is it better to have this bend or is the bending deck not as good. On other levels this room is downgraded and so I am thinking we should change rooms. I called HAL and it is slightly smaller(277 sqft) but this is not a big deal to me.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/fleet/deckPlan.do?ship=no&deck=n&year=next

Thanks.

Archived