Passport deadline extended again

jw4jg1mg2eg1

I just received an email saying that the passport deadline date for cruises to the Western Hemosphere (Mexico & Canada & Caribbean) has changed again. This time the deadline is JUNE 1, 2009 or until a PASScard (some sort of National ID card) is implemented..whichever comes first.

My cousin called me last night to tell me this. She saw it on NBC yesterday. She sent me a link, and it's true.

I already applied for mine, but I haven't yet for my children. I'm wondering if I should get them one? They only last 5 years... We travel in Feb 2007. Panama, Costa Rica and Mexico.

I know living on the border between Detroit and Windsor it makes life so much easier if you have a passport. Although i have heard that because there is so much travel between this border they are looking into a card much like the drivers license.

I was talking yesterday with a carnival cruise line sales rep, He informed me about the changes that he found out yesterday morning.

he said it was any time between now and july 1 2009. he recommends still having the pass port because that rule can change at any time with NO Notice.. so better to have it than not.

I knew that this deadline would never be enforced, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see it extended again and again.

I travel to Europe every now and then so it's not an issue for my family. We all have them.

It may be extended but I wouldn't think of traveling outside the US without one. It should made things alot easier and I certainly felt alot more safe and comfortable.

Whoops! Made a boo-boo I meant to say it "SURE" made things a lot easier.

This is a very hot topic right now. As I write this the US State department web site indicates that you will need a passport if you return to the US after 1/7/07. The congress has passed legislation that makes changes in the maximum date but the history of the legislation indicates that it only applies to crossings between the US and Canada.

The best advice anyone can give is to follow what is on the State Department website. Until and unless it changes you MUST assume that a passport will be required if you return after 1/7/07.

It is not safe to rely on Carnival's web site (or any cruise lines site) nor is it safe to rely on anything that you read in the news media, including on Cruise Critic. If that date is not changed and you don't have a passport you don't go on your cruise.

The best thing that anyone traveling within the next 90 - 120 days can do is to assume that the date is not going to change. In other words, get a passport ordered NOW!.

What is sad is that legislation is passed, the President signs it with much fanfare, the news media reports on it, and 10 days later, the State Dept. website is still not updated with the latest information.

Simply put, the State Department passport info on the internet is invalid, out of date, and basically worthless at this moment.

But, that doesn't mean getting a passport is a bad idea. Get it! Just don't depend upon these bean counters in Washington, irrespective of whatever political affiliation they may have. Most are lawyers, which places them on the same scale as pond scum. Worthless.

Mark T

What is sad is that legislation is passed, the President signs it with much fanfare, the news media reports on it, and 10 days later, the State Dept. website is still not updated with the latest information.

Simply put, the State Department passport info on the internet is invalid, out of date, and basically worthless at this moment.

But, that doesn't mean getting a passport is a bad idea. Get it! Just don't depend upon these bean counters in Washington, irrespective of whatever political affiliation they may have. Most are lawyers, which places them on the same scale as pond scum. Worthless.

Mark T

You need to go read the legislation. The law does NOT require the State Department to extend the deadline, it only allows them to do so. At this time there is no valid indication that it is going to be changed for anything except crossings between the US and Canada.

You need to go read the legislation. The law does NOT require the State Department to extend the deadline, it only allows them to do so. At this time there is no valid indication that it is going to be changed for anything except crossings between the US and Canada.

Oh, but I have read the legislation...all 250 some pages of the particular bill, not just the particular amendment to the bill in question. The only thing clear is that there is a great deal of wiggle room, and that it affects land and sea issues only, not air.

Shame no one in Washington speaks English any more. Simple language would be a breath of fresh air.

Mark T

I just checked on the passport website and it still shows that :

• January 8, 2007 - Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
  • January 1, 2008 - Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel.

I was checking cause we are cruising Feb 07 and some of us have passports and some dont and they are applying now which the wait in now about 10 to 12 weeks. Its a little confusing. I told everyone cruising with us that they should in deed have a passport so that its just easier... That just what I think...

The State Dept. website has finally been updated with the recent legislation. Here is what it has this morning:

"Timeline

In the proposed implementation plan, the requirement will be rolled out in the following phases:

On January 8, 2007, U.S. citizens traveling by air between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid U.S. passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document.

It is anticipated that on January 1, 2008, U.S. citizens traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), will be required to present a valid U.S. passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes may permit a later deadline, both the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to put all requirements in place by the original deadline. Advance notice will be provided to enable the public meet the land/sea border requirement. "

So at least now we know what they are thinking. Hopefully thie Passcard will move more quickly than it has in the past.

But, as I've said before, get a Passport. Minimal cost for the potential protection it offers.

Mark T

The State Dept. website has finally been updated with the recent legislation. Here is what it has this morning:

"Timeline

In the proposed implementation plan, the requirement will be rolled out in the following phases:

On January 8, 2007, U.S. citizens traveling by air between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid U.S. passport, Air NEXUS card, or U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Document.

It is anticipated that on January 1, 2008, U.S. citizens traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), will be required to present a valid U.S. passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. While recent legislative changes may permit a later deadline, both the Departments of State and Homeland Security are working to put all requirements in place by the original deadline. Advance notice will be provided to enable the public meet the land/sea border requirement. "

So at least now we know what they are thinking. Hopefully thie Passcard will move more quickly than it has in the past.

But, as I've said before, get a Passport. Minimal cost for the potential protection it offers.

Mark T

PROPOSED

ANTICIPATED

MAY PERMIT A LATER DEADLINE

with language like that, I am glad that we have our passports!

Archived