HELP----The Drury or the Astor Hotel

Maxsboubie

Going to NOLA March 1, 2007 for a cruise on the Sun on March 4th. We are staying precruise for 3 nights. We have reservations at both the Astor and the Drury Hotels. Wanted to know any info to help us decide which reservation we should keep. It looks like we get more for the money at the Drury. We're concerned about locations and which hotel we should choose. Thanks in advance.

Hi Maxsboubie,

We stayed in the Drury Inn on Poydras/Carondelet in Nov/Dec 2004 (it´s located in the Central Business District CBD). The hotel was in a good condition. Breakfast was great (and you even got free sodas and drinks / snacks in the late afternoon for cocktail hour). We had a room with two doubles which was really spacious. The streetcar stop to the FQ was right at the corner on Carondelet but you had to walk one block going back to the hotel (the stop outbound is on St. Charles Street). This turned out to be quiet convenient for visiting the FQ. The FQ is about 2 stops away from the hotel (and maybe 4 blocks walking?). Anyway right now the St. Charles Street streetcar is still not operating.

I don´t know anything about the Astor but if it´s closer to the FQ I´d prefer that over the Drury as long as the streetcar is not running on St. Charles Street.

steamboats

Thanks Steamboats, I'll have to keep investigating. We do like to walk, so we don't mind a 4 block hiike. We heard that the Drury is a good deal for the money. The Astor doesn't serve breakfast or drinks in the pm. Thanks for the info.

• 4 weeks later...
Going to NOLA March 1, 2007 for a cruise on the Sun on March 4th. We are staying precruise for 3 nights. We have reservations at both the Astor and the Drury Hotels. Wanted to know any info to help us decide which reservation we should keep. It looks like we get more for the money at the Drury. We're concerned about locations and which hotel we should choose. Thanks in advance.

The Drury does have more perks - breakfast, etc. but it depends how much time you're going to spend in the French Quarter. If you plan on spending most of your time in the Quarter the Astor is much better for location. The difference in distance isn't far, but it's not in the Quarter, so less traveled. If the streetcars were running I'd lean more towards the Drury, but they aren't up yet.

If you don't plan on spending much time in the Quarter, then the Drury would be a better deal.

Any word on when the streetcars will be up and running ? We aren't coming to NOLA until March. Our cruise from there is March 4th.. Is it safe walking from the FQ to the Drury, even at night?

The St. Charles line from Canal Street to Lee Circle should be up and running this year. Farther upriver will be longer. So the line should be running to your hotel when you get here. Can't say what hours they'll have though. I also wouldn't walk at night - unless you have a group.

If the streetcar is running it´s a one block walk along Poydras St which is quite busy. That´s o.k. walking with a family or a small group (3-4 people). The streetcar going to Canal Street is right at the corner (Poydras/Carondelet) next to the hotel. The streetcar back to the hotel is one block away (corner Poydras/St. Charles).

steamboats

Or use the streetcar. It will be up and running from Canal Street by the Drury when you arrive. The Drury is on Poydras Street, which is a very busy street and I'd consider it relatively safe - same with Canal Street. Those would be the only 2 streets you would have to walk on outside the Quarter if you ride the streetcars. The streetcars are safe. The only questionable walking area would be the 4 blocks between Canal and Poydras and it's probably relatively safe, but not lighted as well as I like - and I just wouldn't chance it. PreK the St. Charles streetcars ran late into the night, but I really don't know what their schedule will be once they start up again. I imagine they will run until at least MN.

Archived