• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

First time cruisers booking for January - Need Help with Itinerary Choice!

Lollipop's Mom

Well I am finally able to book my cruise. My DD 10 and I are going. What is the best choice for beach bumming in January? Western/Eastern/Mexico???? I won't have a lot of extra cash for fancy excursions - just the beach day kind of things, which is all we want to do anyway. We are not horseback riding/ziplining kind of girls - we want to relax and enjoy.

We can fly to California much easier than Florida (live in western Canada), and I was looking at the Mexican Riveria ones, but will it be too cold in Jan to beach bum? What would be a good choice? Thanks!

We did the Mexican Riviera a few years back and we found it quite cold.:eek: Not a lot of good days for sunbathing or being on the beach. We are also from Western Canada so I know what prices you are looking at for airfare and even though it is more expensive,you should really go on a Caribbean cruise. We have been on a few Caribbean cruises and have always had great weather. :)

We live in Calgary. I don`t know all the itineraries of the ships but we took our three kids with us on the Victory in November 2005. It went to San Juan, St. Thomas and St. John`s. I know the itinerary for the Victory has changed since we are going again this November. It is now the Exotic Caribbean itinerary (it goes to Jamaica and there is mixed reviews on this port) Our all time favorite place is Belize but I have never just did the beach thing there. We have been to Cozumel a few times and have really enjoyed this port (we always go to Paradise beach) We have also went to Roatan (on a NCL cruise) went to the beach and relaxed. IMHO any Caribbean itinerary would be good weather and you two would have a great time.

There are many good beach days to be had on a Caribbean Cruise!!

My favorite, kids friendly (and also the most inexpensive) are in Cozumel and Costa Maya.

In Panama and Costa Rica you don't get beach days and the tours are pretty expensive (I'm doing this cruise next month)

In Belize you need to take a water taxi (or an excursion) to get to any beach area. It is lovely but more expensive then in Coz or Costa Maya where only a cab is needed.

There are lovely beaches in St Thomas and St Maarten if you go on an Eastern route but if I were planning a cruise with my kids and did not want to spend a lot of money on excursions I would definetly go with a Western Caribbean itinerary.

Carnival Spirit does the 8 day Mexican Riviera in Jan. We did that 2 years ago. They go far enough south that it is very warm. San Diego wasn't too bad, but jeans weather. First day of the cruise and last would be tolerable for the deck since your from Canada. Us being from Wisconsin thought it was plenty warm for swimsuits on deck the whole trip. :) Have fun where ever you go!

Archived