Formal Evenings

CruzieChick

Its not a black tie formal unless you want to really dress up. Most tend to dress up cocktail style, some more extravagent and some don't dress up at all. Seeing everyone dressed up and being dressed up is a wonderful experience. It doesn't seem to happen much in everyday life.

Neat and tidy right up to black tie. What great nights, I loved getting into the party gear and seeing my husband in a collar and tie. He wears polo shirts to work everyday and we rarely get dressed up so it was a treat. You can also have lovely portrait photos taken on the night.

Cocktail works well.

Have a great time.

I just wore a LBD and hubby wore a pinstripe suit. I saw chicks in full on formal gowns, looking like bridesmaids...lol...They looked lovely but I wouldnt have gotten that dressed up.

Each to their own I guess! :p

I think you will find that P&O tends to be a bit dressier than some other ships.

Usually for formal evenings it is Black tie, or a normal suit and tie. You will find that most men do wear black tie, mine certainly does and he would be the first not to wear one if he felt out of place!

Ladies vary, from little black numbers (short), to more the ball gown type, but that would probably be a bit over the top. The younger ladies tend to be more summery and short. The older ones lots of sparkle with sequined tops.

Whatever you wear, it won't be out of place believe me, most things go! But for men a smart suit or a tux is essential.

Kate

I think you will find that P&O tends to be a bit dressier than some other ships.

Usually for formal evenings it is Black tie, or a normal suit and tie. You will find that most wear black tie, mine certainly does and he would be the first not to, if he felt out of place!

Ladies vary, from little black numbers (short), to more the ball gown type, but that would be a bit over the top. The younger ladies tend to be more summery, the older ones lots of sparkle with sequined tops.

Whatever you wear, it won't be out of place believe me, most things go! but for men it has to be a smart suit or a tux.

Kate

As most have already said it is really up to the individual. Personally I like the opportunity to dress up and get some use out of those expensive dresses I have hanging in my wardrobe! It's also a great opportunity to have some portraits taken by professional photographers for a fraction of the cost on land.:D

A word of warning however, it is possible that your ankles will swell on the ship and those pretty heals that seemed like such a good idea at home won't fit. I also think they can be a hazard on a moving ship! I always take a practical pair of court shoes with me in case there is any problem with my shoes & swelling! Nothing worse than having sore feet.:o

Cheers,

Chaz:)

I think you will find the Aussie ships are a little more relaxed than the British ones that I assume Kate is talking about. In the past there was quite strict dress codes in the restaurants but I have to admit over the last few years these have been relaxed. On our last cruise we even saw people in the restaurant wearing shorts on formal nights!

Cheers,

Chaz:)

Rare opportunity for me to get tarted up so I intend to make the most of our 4 formal nights and go all out. May even drag the orange chiffon bridesmaids dress out of storage...Hey, when else do we get the chance if not on a cruise?

Not too many of us left now Cheryl, They're all sailing off into the sunset..how green with envy I am...Fantastic buy that 100 way dress, but I just want to know what you will be wearing when I have it on??? May have to hit Vinnies for a pink taffeta number:eek:

Hi Crusiechick!

Don't buy anything new, honestly some get really dressed up and others are dressy/casual. It's always a good chance to wear that dress you haven't worn for years but still looks good! my girlfirend (ducknchook) was my bridesmaid and we have matching dresses, mine off white and hers orange, so we are planning on wearing them on our Tahiti 2008 cruise!! If we still fit into them of course, I guess I have 19 months to do it! We even have matching shoes!

It's all good fun, and the photos are great that the photographers take! I have some great back and whites photo's of my husband and I on the wall in out lounge, really proffessional. Make sure you get some done, you don't have to buy them if you don't like them.

Cheryl

No worries Tinalou:) Wer'e just having a bit of fun! Always jokin about the bridesmaid dresses:p .

Last two cruises i have just worn LBD also, this time we are leaving the hubby's at home, so no one to impress!! So thought we'd go all out :eek:

I only got married two years ago so actually they are really nice Studibaker dresses but we are always making jokes of how we will never wear them again:mad: or fit into them!!

Chez

You don't say on your profile where you are from, and the others are assuming you are Aussie - and say Aussie ships are less formal.

Could you fill in your profile country?

If you are UK, then the UK p&O ships are more formal with 95% of men wearing the black tux dinner suit, and most women wearing either a long dress or very smart black trousers and cocktail tops or cocktail dresses.

You said you has A dress in your wardrobe... how long are you cruising for?

If 2 weeks there will be at least 3 formal nights, so you might need more than one formal wear dress:)

Sue

Thanks Libra-Sue

I had not realised my profile was empty. Sorry! Yes I am Australian. I have three really nice cocktail dresses which after all of the replys im more than comforatable in wearing. Just was not sure at all of the dress code. Only Crusing for 7 nights and its my first time ever. On top of all that im going solo!!!

Yet Only little over 3 weeks.

Hi CruzieChick,

Did my first cruise solo, about 9 yrs ago, roomed with 3 other solo cruizers. I only saw them at night when we hung out together, rest of the time just pleased myself...I like my own company. Was totally comfortable and had a ball, though i am a bit out there and will talk to anyone...this prob made it easy for me. I dressed for dinner every night, only cos I luv getting fluffed up, but many didn't. Rest assured, either way you will enjoy...

• 2 weeks later...

Cheznandy and I have just been to Sydney this week, found fantastic tuxedo t-shirts at Paddys markets, bought these to team up with tailored black pants, diamonds and heels...we were running out of ideas for 4 formal nights, and thought this would be a bit of fun. Also seen foxy little pin-stripe hats, will consider adding them to the ensemble.

Afternoon ducknchook,

Is that me i see in the photo next to your user name??

Nice bridesmaid dress!! Have to find one of us for mine, if you would bloody get married i could have a bridesmaid dress of my own!!

Cheryl

Afternoon ducknchook,

Is that me i see in the photo next to your user name??

Nice bridesmaid dress!! Have to find one of us for mine, if you would bloody get married i could have a bridesmaid dress of my own!!

Cheryl

Can't rush these things you know chook. FYI the rest of you, I have only been engaged for 18 yrs, hence the dig about me not being married.

Archived