QE2 - engine noise

loudonp

I am at present in aft room 42** on the QE2.

I left it a little late booking and the choice of rooms was very limited. However, I was assured by Cunard in June on booking that this would be a quiet, comfortable room and free of disturbance.

All is well until we try and sleep. The level of noise from the engines is really quite high. I had quieter cabins when I was on troop ships in the 1940s! I had to catch up on sleep today whilst docked in Tenerife. :confused:

The crew maintain there is nothing that they can do to help our situation as the QE2 is fully booked.

Any ideas? How do we get a peaceful nights sleep over the coming nights?

Hi Loudonp,

Sorry to hear of the sleepless nights - I have only recently got back from QE2 earlier this month and had Aft cabin 2113 which was very quiet - the only noise you could hear in the mornings & only when tender ports was the tender platform being lowered by my window!

How is the weather so far on this cruise as I am doing the same one next year - has it not been too rough? Also is Captain David Perkins still onboard or is it Nick Bates now?

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Any ideas?

I think that all you can do now is to keep complaining. If the staff at the purser's office can't help then say you want to speak to the purser. If the purser won't help then you can try the Hotel Manager (his name will be on the front of your daily programme). I think his office is somewhere on Deck 2, around the area of C Stairway, but on the other side of the ship from the stairway access. I'd try ringing him first because I might be wrong about the deck!

Make sure that you get the names of the people you speak to and then, if your problem isn't resolved, write to Cunard when you get home and complain again!

Good luck

I have experienced the noise in 5206 but I did get used to it in a couple of days, although I wouldn't stay there again. The purser will give out ear plugs without question though.

This year we had cabin 4099. The noise from the air conditioning units on 3 deck was so much that you could not even hear the TV. This was beyond a joke and we had to move. Like you the ship was full but we heard that someone had left at the first port so we just asked for their cabin and got it.

Of course, if the ship is full the crew are limitied in what they can do. But there is always someone who has missed the ship so after a couple of ports so surely they have some spare. Remember that you will not be the only people asking though, on our cruise there were half a dozen others on the list, so you have to get in first.

I have experienced the noise in 5206 but I did get used to it in a couple of days, although I wouldn't stay there again. The purser will give out ear plugs without question though.

This year we had cabin 4099. The noise from the air conditioning units on 3 deck was so much that you could not even hear the TV. This was beyond a joke and we had to move. Like you the ship was full but we heard that someone had left at the first port so we just asked for their cabin and got it.

Jon, some of the comments in this thread about noise concern me. You mentioned airconditioning units on three deck. I am in an outside single on three deck, a few cabins back from the stairway in the area of the synagogue. Do you know if those units are in that area? Do you think I can expect a quiet cabin in that location? I know it might be a bit bouncy in heavy seas, but I'm OK with that. Any advice or reassurance is welcomed.

Bobby

PS... I love your video of the pitching bow!

I am in an outside single on three deck, a few cabins back from the stairway in the area of the synagogue. Do you know if those units are in that area? Do you think I can expect a quiet cabin in that location?

Bobby,

If you wish l can send you a copy of the layout of that area near your cabin, it will show exactly what is in the area,l have a full set of working plans detailing everything onboard, and l mean everything!!! just let me have your cabin no, Unfortunately lm away cruising so it wont be till after l return in mid Nov , but it will be worth waiting for.

Kind Regards

Myles

(you can of course email if you wish to keep your location onboard private!)

The crew maintain there is nothing that they can do to help our situation as the QE2 is fully booked.

QUOTE]

There are always cabins held in reserve, no ship could sail with every cabin occupied, as some have to be available for emergencies. You will always be told that none are available because this makes life simpler for them.

Ask to see the hotel manager. It's worked for us in the past.

David.

Hi there Bobby

You will be fine in an outside cabin, they tend to have better sound proofing and are away from equipment. Also the single cabins are forward of the fans.

On three deck the noise comes from the large ventilators at C-stair and (I think) F-stair. There is some machinery noise between F & G stair but from memory I do not think this is an issue forward. The cabins that suffer from some noise on three deck are the inside ones at about C-stair 3053, 3058, 3065, 3068 (the nanny cabins). I've stayed in 3065, it was a bit loud but nothing I couldn't put up with.

I've noticed above that I wrote 4099, I meant 4199 (I think I have stayed in both. 4099 is fine, 4199 has the noise problems). The problem in the area of 4199 is that all the motors and fans are bolted to the other side of your ceiling.

It would be great if QE2 did have a good forward looking lounge so my clips of the spray coming over the bow would not have to rely on the in cabin television.

Hi Mufi

They did tell us there were emergency spare cabins but they are last resort cabins, mostly small and not in good locations.

I´m soory about your sleepless nights.......the solution might not be earplugs, but for sure they help a little...and of course keep on complaining. Perhaps there is some tipe of problem with the engines???? What happened today at Arrecife´s departure, it was quite a long delay. I was there to wave off, but they closed the port before you sailed away.....Was there any type of problems with the engines?

I hope you´re problem will be solved, otherwise you´ll need holidays from holidays......

Regards,

N.F.

I was in 4260 earlier in the year. Could not stand the noise and was tranfered to another next day - it was like paradise! I have travelled many times on board and am used to some noise but 4260 was so loud that we had to almost shout to each other when holding a conversation. The pursers office were most helpful. Tell them about it and hopefully you will be moved. Good luck.

See earlier thread cabin 4260.

A few cabins back from the stairway in the area of the synagogue. Do you know if those units are in that area? Do you think I can expect a quiet cabin in that location?

The first time we were onboard, a few years ago admittedly;) , we were in 3018 - very close to the synagogue - there was no noise there, we had a very peaceful trip:)

l have a full set of working plans detailing everything onboard, and l mean everything!

Myles - I'd be very interested in a copy of those plans - is there any chance you could email me a set? (If you're inundated with requests for copies let me know and I can put them on the web for you:) )

Enjoy your present trip

Hi Coolgran

Although the time I had a cabin in the bow, I was on 5 deck (I think 5033) and it was really quiet. I would expect 4 deck to be much the same in this location, if the Synogoge is upstairs from you it should be quiet (except on the Saturday).

Like all ships, the further forward you are the more you will notice the movement of the sea. Forward of C-stair (cabins less than 4062) the movement is more pronounced, forward of B-stair (cabins less than 4040) things can get quite lively on a choppy day.

We sailed in Cabin 4245 in August 2004 and we had similar noise problems. They did not become apparent until we were on the short hop from Lisbon to Gibraltar. I mentioned the noise to our cabin steward and he said it occured when she was going slower. It did not occur when we "booted it" down the Atlantic or across the Med from Gibraltar to Palermo..... Oh to be on boat deck again, going for an evening stroll, with the wind whistling by at 30 knots and my wife pulling me back inside because her hair is "frizzing" - yes there are advantages to being "follically challenged".....

All I can wish you is fast overnight legs and peaceful nights.

Loudonp - have been wondering if you managed to get your problem resolved.

It was cabin 4260 that we were in where the noise level was too great to sleep. We spent eight sleepless nights in room 4260! :(

We were more upset because Cunard had assured a quiet room on booking.

They finally found us another room last Tuesday, so we have slept for the past four nights. :)

David Perkins is still Captain. Sea conditions were bad in sea area Trafalgar in both directions. Force 9 gale going out. However, it was comfortable on board - very stable. Weather was generally very good. The worst weather was in Gibralter last Wednesday (25th) - heavy rain.

Splendid cruise - just spoilt initially by the noise in the room at night (until we were found an alternative room).

Regards

loudonp

I´m soory about your sleepless nights.......the solution might not be earplugs, but for sure they help a little...and of course keep on complaining. Perhaps there is some tipe of problem with the engines???? What happened today at Arrecife´s departure, it was quite a long delay. I was there to wave off, but they closed the port before you sailed away.....Was there any type of problems with the engines?

I hope you´re problem will be solved, otherwise you´ll need holidays from holidays......

Regards,

N.F.

The QE2's departure was delayed last Saturday from Arrecife. I understood that it was due to a couple of missing passengers. We waited until they turned up.

You poor souls - I have been wondering how you were getting on!

We had one totally sleepless night in there in August - I cannot begin to imagine how you felt after eight nights. I wrote to Cunard on our return and suggested it should be taken out of use - obviously it has not been and I also suggested one of their customer relations staff should try it to see if they were able to tolerate it! The letter did bring a satisfactory response and was certainly worth writing. If you are interested I can give you the name of the person who dealt with my complaint.

Here's the name and address:-

K. Ellis

Passenger Relations Executive

Cunard Line

Richmond House

Terminus Terrace

Southampton

SO14 3PN

Two quotes from the current brouchure 'when you say your goodnights isn't it wonderful to to know that your peaceful retreat is moments away.' Page 87

'cross the threshold of your stateroom ....................of privacy and calm.' page 89.

We all expect there to be movement and noise on board but I don't think this cabin should not be used for accomodation.

Write to them and hopefully you will get some compensation - I know you certainly deserve it.

The QE2's departure was delayed last Saturday from Arrecife. I understood that it was due to a couple of missing passengers. We waited until they turned up.

I didn't realise they would do this and always assumed the ship would leave without you if you weren't back on board at the specified time. Unless of course it was due to a Cunard tour that was delayed.

Archived