Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sistergldnhair66

To ALL who recommended Sonny Liston

Wow! Talk about over-analyzation of a tour!

OMG people....its just a tour! Either you have fun...or you don't. To each, their own. Not EVERY tour is going to be identicle. I thought the tour was great with Sunny....and great with Gie Gie. Either way...you see and experience St. Thomas.

Lighten up...vacation doesn't have to be this stressful. :cool:

...you go to the theater...sometimes you see a movie you don't like. Oh well.

Well, said!! It was just a GREAT FUN way to see the Island!! I'll use Sunny Again.

I booked a Sonny Liston Tour in 2009 with my teenage daughter and her BFF in 2009. Gie Gie was our tour guide. We loved it. I just booked the same tour for 2010 with my BFF. I can't wait.

The first time on the island I wanted to stay longer on the beach than the ship tour allowed so I grabbed an open air truck on the street to get to the beach. NEVER AGAIN!!! I spent the entire trip gripping the "hold bar" and literally being hit with passing trees on my arm as the driver whipped around corners and hills like he got pleasure out of our fear. My entire day instead of enjoying the beach, worring about the trip back. I actually feared for my life. I cried because the beach was the most beautiful I had ever seen, yet I will never get a chance to see it again because of the transportation. Once more I must say this was my first trip... NOT the trip I took with Sonny.

Therefore, after reading all the great reviews here and on his website, the next trip I booked with Sonny to avoid being killed on the road by some miscelleaneous driver. :eek: Absolute best thing I did my whole trip.:D We we greeted by Sonny with a beautiful open air truck right on time. We planned our own trip. Wanting to spend the day at the beach we were were picked up by Sonny promptly at 9:00 no shopping at all, just straight to the beach. We sang all the way there. At no point was I afraid at all of the trecherous roads. Sonny drove as if he was driving his own children in that truck. What a pleasure. Sonny met us at the beach at the designated time just as planned -- I think probably 3:00 or so. My sister didn't feel well and was having a hard time walking over to the meeting place so Sonny spoke to some people and was allowed over to where she was with the truck to pick her up. We Drove back singing again. What a nice man. Cannot recommend this tour enough. Clean bus, safe ride, great driver!!

I loved Maegen's Bay beach and was so afraid I will never see it again because of the original taxi ride we took to get there. Thank God for Sonny. Without him I would never have gotten a second chance to experience the most beautiful beach and have the best beach day of my trip.

Sonny is the very best, a professional at what he does.

You will not be disappointed. :):):)

We went on the Sunny Liston tour in March. Gie Gie was our guide. She was great. We had a wonderful time in St. Thomas, so wonderful that we are going back next March for a full week.

Attitude is everything. If you get ticked because you didn't get Sunny, or whatever, and decide you are not going to have fun, you won't. I can not imagine anyone not having fun on Sunny's/Gie Gie's tour unless they didn't want to.

After hours on the beach I'm hot, thirsty and tired. The last thing I'd want to do is sing for a half hour and the second last thing would be listening to others sing!

We went on the Sunny Liston tour in March. Gie Gie was our guide. She was great. We had a wonderful time in St. Thomas, so wonderful that we are going back next March for a full week.

Attitude is everything. If you get ticked because you didn't get Sunny, or whatever, and decide you are not going to have fun, you won't. I can not imagine anyone not having fun on Sunny's/Gie Gie's tour unless they didn't want to.

Gie Gie doesn't sing as so she told us when we went. They would have had to really change their act for anyone but Sunny to be good. And the chances of getting Sunny with 3-4 vans running is perhaps who gets there first type of thing. Our van was dead silent on the way back from beach and the driver did not point out anything for the 30 minutes plus ride to the Havensight pier.

CruisnAgain-we took one of Sunny's tours and it was horrible! He is a hustler, rounds up as many people as he can stuff on his taxi and doesn't give any thought to the parties who did the original booking. Our tour consisted of a 20min shopping tour @ Vendors Plaza, a few very crowded photo ops and then on to Sapphire Beach where the people he added on wanted to go. Never asked the people in the original booking where they would like to go... Then back to the ship. At most we got two hours from him! We never got a chance to see or shop in Charlotte Amalie. We would not use him again for any reason, his driving is dangerous and scary. Maybe at one time he was a great tour guide, but now he has a focus on how to "fleece the tourist." Apparently, the almighty dollar means more to him than his reputation! There are many good, honest tour guides mentioned on this website, people who have a real interest in taking care of their customers and showing them their beautiful island. Use one of them! You won't be sorry!

CruisnAgain-we took one of Sunny's tours and it was horrible! He is a hustler, rounds up as many people as he can stuff on his taxi and doesn't give any thought to the parties who did the original booking. Our tour consisted of a 20min shopping tour @ Vendors Plaza, a few very crowded photo ops and then on to Sapphire Beach where the people he added on wanted to go. Never asked the people in the original booking where they would like to go... Then back to the ship. At most we got two hours from him! We never got a chance to see or shop in Charlotte Amalie. We would not use him again for any reason, his driving is dangerous and scary. Maybe at one time he was a great tour guide, but now he has a focus on how to "fleece the tourist." Apparently, the almighty dollar means more to him than his reputation! There are many good, honest tour guides mentioned on this website, people who have a real interest in taking care of their customers and showing them their beautiful island. Use one of them! You won't be sorry!

Thank you! Yes, describes exactly what we went thru except we had a driver who did not sing, finally put on music with one speaker that the people asked to turn it off since it was awful and I said the rest about our experience in another post in this thread. Yes there are better ones and we won't be using Sunny again and after seeing St. Thomas for a good 7 times now we are pretty much done with the place.

I thought the Liston tour was a very good deal, I wasn't sure we would get him since it was just me and my son booking the tour. But we did. My son overslept and we weren't able to board the tour for the time we reserved. I met Sunny at the pier and explained what had happened - he couldn't have been nicer and told me that we could take the next tour time offered. He didn't need to do this, since we had reserved a time & by rights should have stuck to that. But when we did board the bus, it was nearly empty, so maybe that was why we could do it.

We had a little time to shop, I know it would have been longer had we boarded the tour bus when we were supposed to. I thought his driving was unusual but I never feared for our safety. The singing, etc, it was fine but seemed more like forced gaiety and a little tired. Maybe it was more fun for him a few years ago. He tries hard and does a good job, but if I had to drive a tour bus around 4 times a day & laugh & sing with the tourists - day after day for years on end - people I'd be in a padded room / straight jacket by now (if I could even drag myself out of bed to do it).

Maybe my expectations were too high after reading all the reviews. Bottom line, he's honest and tries his best to make sure you have a fun time on the tour. It's a better deal and more personable than you will find booking a ship's tour.

We used Sonny in January and had a blast. When we got off the ship, we went the wrong way and missed the bus. Ended up going to the visitor center and they called Sonny. He came back and picked us up and took us to meet the others shopping. We lost some shopping time, but again, this was our fault. We then spent about two hours seeing the sites with GiGi, she was a blast. She sung, encourged us to sing and pointed out thing the entire trip. Then we were taken to the beach for about 2 hours, you had your choice of two beaches to go to. She then picked us up to take the group back to the boat. GiGi even pointed out a few other sites on the way back. The whole trip was a blast and well worth the money. I find the other post so strange after having such a great time with them. Now there was three buses on our day, not sure about the extra one as to what he does as far as pointing out the sites and singing. He told us he was who they hired when they had execssive bookings. When we were headed back to the airport we were talking to another group who was on the Island the same day from the Royal Caribbean ship, they even said they seen Sonny's buses running around and that we were having a much better time than they did.

After reading all the posts am a little confused about who to take for the tour, it seems hiring Sonny or the others are cheaper than bookng directly with the cruise line. I have heard some say, that Sunny takes you to Sapphire Beach, but Ive heard nice things about Meaghans Bay. Which beach is nicer & can you tell Sunny which one you want to go to. I also read that he drives fast, but are the roads twists & turny. Im one of those people that cannot go on amusement rides ( have motion sickness). I remember being in Jamaica on a curvy, windy road, and almost tossed my cookies. Would not want that happen while looking forward to a nce day in St Thomas.

I don't recall thinking Sunny drove too fast. The bus is open air, and he pumps the brakes to the music at times. The roads are windy in many spots, but I think that is something you will have to deal with if you go for a tour that drives around St. Thomas, no matter who the driver is.

I think he asks people which beach they wish to go to. We didn't opt for the beach part of the tour, but the bus stopped there to drop people off. He encouraged us to at least get walk up to it & take a look at it, which we did.