Cruise to Alaska in 2007

New2CruisingGA

Hi everyone! Well found out last night after my first post on here that for the big Christmas present from my parents that they are planning on sending everyone in our immediate family on a cruise to Alaska! I'm so excited. I didn't think that I would be this excited about going to Alaska, originally didn't think there would be much to do, I think i'm more excited about spending time with our family. I am excited about getting to walk across a glacier and doing a sled dog race thing, but what else is there to do for excursions? What should I not miss while there? Any activities that the older folks can do that have walking problems? I've been on a cruise before, but my parents never have so I know they are looking forward to it, and I think we are going to get one of the nicer suites...I think they are thinking since they are going ahead with it then they might as well go all out. :) When is the best time to go to Alaska? I know they have their darker times and their lighter times, and we want to go when it is sunnier. I already have 2 weeks scheduled off in mid-April at work, would that be a good time to take off, or should I re-schedule that? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!:D

Keri

1st cruise-Western European Capitals-Golden Princess May 2005

2nd cruise-Alaska-??????

Alaska cruise season is from mid-May to mid-September. The best time to go would depend on exactly what your group wants to see and do.

Definitely go to the Alaska board and ask questions. There are 2 posters on that board Budget Queen and Yukon that are highly knowledgable about Alaska and Alaska cruises.

One note, it appears you guys haven't booked your cruise. You shouldn't wait too much longer. Some sailings are already getting very full, if not sold out, and prices are already rising.

Ships only cruise from May to Sept. As far as what to do there is enough that everyone's interests will be satisfied. There are things from museums to kayaking and everything inbetween. You can search each port and send off for information from the tourism centers and just keep reading these boards. Also once you book your cruise check to see if there is a roll call. If not start one. It's a way to communicate with people that will be on the same cruise and maybe make new friends.

Hi! We took our cruise in the first week of September, and the weather was perfect as far as we were concerned. It was around mid to low sixties, and it was daylight (if memory serves me right) until around 9:00 pm. We did a four day land tour prior to the 10 day cruise, and we were very glad we did it in that order. Alaska is BIG so there was alot of travel time on the train, which was okay. Two things that were the absolute highlight of our trip--we did a helicopter tour and it was BREATHTAKING!! I shot roll after roll after roll of film and can't even put into words how perfect it was!! Also the tour to see the Black bears at the salmon hatchery was amazing--highly recommend that one. We also enjoyed the salmon fishing trip--though I was the only one in the group who didn't catch anything!! Be sure to get a balcony, and depending on which route you take, get a cabin on the side of the ship that faces land...Just one more pointer, we bought the more expensive silk long underwear thinking that it would be colder than it was and they worked perfectly--never seemed to be too hot or too cold. The only land tour we wished we hadn't done was the horseback riding...it really wasn't anything different than what you could do no matter where you live IMO. If you do the land tour in combo with the cruise (on Princess) the lodges are beautiful--our favorite hands down was McKinley. Hope this helps you somewhat! I would go back in a heartbeat-- and I too thought Alaska??? Why not someplace warm & exotic?? But it was the trip of a lifetime!! Loralie

Archived