NCL now saying that all November 2007 Gem sailings are SOLD OUT

deecsw

So I called NCL again tonight and was told that the reason why the November 2007 Gem sailings are not shoeing up on the website is because they are "sold out with long waiting lists." This information was given to my rep by his supervisor in Miami.

Either NCL's new ads have really drummed up business or something odd is going on. When the old NCL site was up (not too long ago), the ship was no where near full for the first sailing out of NYC.

The rep denies any delay with the ship.

Interesting.

Well, it is a new ship in a HUGE market with some (note I didn't write all) getting tired of the Dawn and Spirit (maybe not the ships, but definately the shows).

If the Gem is sold out or not, or if its completition will be on time or not, I guess we'll have to wait until next year to be sure. I have no reason to disbelieve NCL, but the Meyerwerft website webcam shows the Gem not as complete as the Jewel was this far in advance. I don't know how it compares to the Pride of Hawaii or Pearl this far in advance. It's possible that Meyerwerft can finish the Gem on time; a lot of time can be made up over a year.

also what may have happened is they "sold" or reserved blocks of rooms to the large tas or ta consolidators. Don't worry they will show up again....and you may see them on line elsewhere. The idea is to create a buzz....buzz....

I wanted to pass on an FYI here I just went ot my TA's websote it is where you can find the "Best Price" for cruises on the internet and they show GEM available Nov. but you have to call to book it but some dates are showing prices like the 3rd of Nov Inside 630 pp.

Paul

So I called NCL again tonight and was told that the reason why the November 2007 Gem sailings are not shoeing up on the website is because they are "sold out with long waiting lists." This information was given to my rep by his supervisor in Miami.

Either NCL's new ads have really drummed up business or something odd is going on. When the old NCL site was up (not too long ago), the ship was no where near full for the first sailing out of NYC.

The rep denies any delay with the ship.

Interesting.

Keep in mind they are going from two ships to one ship in NYC. It is posible

Hi I'm on the Dawn right now and tried to book the Gem. They dont know why or what happened but the first available sailing is christmas week. I too wanted November, but nothing, and they dont have any answers either.

I will find out the real answer on Monday. :rolleyes:

I think that response from NCL is the typical "We don't know what the heck is going on so we tell a fib" response from NCL. They have serious reservation taking issues!

I just can't believe several cruises in November are BOOKED. That's bull. People don't cruise much in November and for there to not be one single cabin available on several sailings isn't right. That's typical NCL crap!

I've cruised many years on NCL over the Christmas week. Seriously over capacity and everytime I've booked about 1 week ahead for CHRISTMAS. They always manage to squeeze us in. The Gem isn't booked, it just isn't ready but the company hasn't told their reservation department yet.

Did you ever see on TV that reality show where they were doing an extreme make-over on the RCCL Enchantment. They were so far behind their deadlines, it was a crazy mess and if RCCL seems to be a lot more nimble and able to pull it off than NCL. Its simple, the ship is not ready, no where near ready and they are lying!

Did you ever see on TV that reality show where they were doing an extreme make-over on the RCCL Enchantment. They were so far behind their deadlines, it was a crazy mess and if RCCL seems to be a lot more nimble and able to pull it off than NCL. Its simple, the ship is not ready, no where near ready and they are lying!

And your source to confirm NCL is lying or is it just your apparent dislike for the line that you decided to post false information

Attached below the current Gem webcam is a picture of The Pearl 9 months ago. About the same point in construction as the Gem. The Gem has 12 months until the first of these cruises.

You are correct in stating it is no where near ready but it is not supposed to be ready until next September. :rolleyes:

20061024_b.jpg

402420333_Pearl2006_02_20.jpg.85996c621afd80b536d13f3af0b567b7.jpg

OK well we will see then. I actually hope to be wrong shoreguy!

Ok, my dislike is more like REALITY. Call it whatever YOU want! I cruise NCL a lot as well as the other lines. The lying and incompetence from the reservation department is one of my obvious big issues. YOU see NCL thru your rose colored glasses. I call it like I see it.

If the Gem were sailing next month there would be ONE cabin available somewhere, some week.

OK well we will see then. I actually hope to be wrong shoreguy!

Ok, my dislike is more like REALITY. Call it whatever YOU want! I cruise NCL a lot as well as the other lines. The lying and incompetence from the reservation department is one of my obvious big issues. YOU see NCL thru your rose colored glasses. I call it like I see it.

If the Gem were sailing next month there would be ONE cabin available somewhere, some week.

No rose colored glasses here - no question NCL shore based services need a lot of work - I find lying a bit strong but uninformed perhaps correct from time to time.

Those of us that enjoy NCL it is not the shore based services but rather the onboard experience.

I signed up with a certain website this weekend where TAs compete (you know I can't mention it here), and instead of quotes for my 11/3/07 cruise, I am getting "rates not out yet" responses from all of the agencies. "Rates not out yet?"

I guess I should be happy that I was able to book when I did. Who knows when NCL will open these Nov. cruises up.

Vyhanek - if you sailed many, many ships, you would know all the reservation departments are not very reliable, RCI is the worst. I dealt with these companies everyday for 13 years, none are reliable:( . Also, the Gem is not sailing until Sept '07.

I will try and get an answer to the mystery of the missing. But until we know let me add to the "rumors" posted.

What if NCL is looking at changing the itineraries due to the number of complaints about too few 10/11 day cruises in 2007/2008. That would be a good reason to pull the cruises until it is settled.

Just a thought.

IWhat if NCL is looking at changing the itineraries due to the number of complaints about too few 10/11 day cruises in 2007/2008. That would be a good reason to pull the cruises until it is settled.

From your mouth to Colin's ears....:D Would love more Western Caribbean cruises from NYC. I am in the tax business so going on vacation before April 15th is a big NO- NO..

Linda

I hope they don't get delayed. I booked the Gem in August while on the Spirit. What will happen if the ship gets delayed? Will they cancel my tickets or will they just book me on another cruise? How does that work?

I will keep my fingers crossed that the ship comes out on time. :D

I hope they don't get delayed. I booked the Gem in August while on the Spirit. What will happen if the ship gets delayed? Will they cancel my tickets or will they just book me on another cruise? How does that work?

I will keep my fingers crossed that the ship comes out on time. :D

You can be sure they want it to happen on time. The contract with the shipyard includes significant penalties for late delivery. The last time there was a late delivery, the shipyard went bankrupt.

Its in everyone's interest for this to happen on time. But shipbuilding is both hazardous and unpredictable. But most of the time it happens without a problem.

If it changes they normally give you the choice of a transfer or a refund.

I was also told that the reason you can not book the Gem in November is that they have not set prices yet. Also, the first cruise will be for TAs only (so I am told). The ship is not sold out & should be ready on time.

Well, prices were set two months ago when I booked my cruise for the 11/3/07 sailing (the first out of NYC). The "first cruise" should be before November, this is when the TAs will have their 1-day cruises, etc.

I am booked on the 11/3/07 cruise and I'm not a TA, so either the info. you received is flawed (as it appears every response from NCL on this topic appears to be), or I should be getting a call telling me that I need to change my date.

I am booked on the 11/3/07 cruise and I'm not a TA, so either the info. you received is flawed (as it appears every response from NCL on this topic appears to be), or I should be getting a call telling me that I need to change my date.

Not flawed - I still expect Nov. 3 rd as the first regular cruise from NYC. Like the Pearl I expect to see in a few months perhaps one or two one night cruises in Europe, a transatlantic cruise in Mid October, perhaps a couple of one nighters in NYC, a post Christening 1 or 2 night cruise by invitation and then your cruise.

I have nothing definitive from a source I feel is in position to know perhaps others have.

Archived