Theft Alert Crown Princess Passengers

debbieinct61

jennew, the OP I believe is saying she thinks the jewelry was taken while the luggage was out in the hall. Could have been a passenger.

I hope that is not what she thinks. That is a silly idea. We all know how long those hallways are, it is not likely that another passenger would be so bold as to attempt to open a bag, rifle through it, steal items and then close it before anyone else came upon them in the halls. Maybe I read it wrong.

I hope that is not what she thinks. That is a silly idea. We all know how long those hallways are, it is not likely that another passenger would be so bold as to attempt to open a bag, rifle through it, steal items and then close it before anyone else came upon them in the halls. Maybe I read it wrong.

jennew - you read it right. The OP said they had all night. Doesn't mean it was a passenger or anyone else on the ship for that matter (they did not say they traveled by air either). However I agree with your first post. We SHOULD be able to leave things unattended - what ever happened to good Samaritans?

jennew, but it would be very easy for a neighboring passenger to pull the bag into their cabin, rifle it at leisure and then return it to the hall. Its very sad this happened to the OP, but I have to agree with Jeanne above, I am too old to be so trusting.

I certainly hope that doesn't happen.

I am not at all sure you would ever know where it was stolen. As I understand it, it went out with the bag on the evening prior to disemarkation and was not in the bag when you got home. Even chance change between Princess staff, offhandlers, airport staff at either end, and airline baggage handlers. Only thing you know is that it went missing! Very unfortunate. Personally I think locks are a waste of time. If someone wants to get in, they will get in. Most of those flimsy suitcase locks give up and open if you look at them hard!

It could have been ANYBODY that went through those bags. We use TSA-approved locks and have had them since they first came out. No problems.

I use the TSA approved locks as well. They have never cut mine off. Prior to the locks, I used a plastic tie to keep them honest, on one occassion they cut the tie and left the note and used their plastic tie to close it.

l doubt that the Princess baggage handlers or fellow passenger would be guilty of the theft. I would suspect airline baggage handlers and/or TSA employees in such a theft.

IMHO:

1.) You should use the TSA approved locks on all checked Bags. They are worth the cost. A few of the lock manufacturers, will replace the lock if it's cut off by TSA. Read the material on the lock, before purchase to see if they do.

2.) Do not ever put valuables in checked luggage! :eek:

Keep in mind that Airlines/Cruise lines, etc., will not pay for items stolen/lost, out of checked luggage, like watches, cameras, jewelry, computers and almost anything else except clothing.

Wear them or carry them in hand carried luggage onto the aircraft. After your carry-on goes through TSA ex-rays machines, at security points, it doesn't hurt to quickly check anything real valuable in your carryon to make sure its still there! ;)

I certainly hope that doesn't happen.
I would like to think most people are basically honest, but there are plenty of lost cameras, jewelry that fell off and misplaced sunglasses on every cruise that never get turned in to the Purser's office. And every CD tells the story each week about people leaving their alcohol bottles in the hallway with the bags and then returning to find the bags still in the hall but the booze box is gone. A cruise ship is filled with a cross-section of humanity; some are more honest than others.

Airlines have the right to get into your suitcase-lock or no lock! My brother in law used a tsa lock on his suitcase and the airline folks sliced the sides of his new suitcase!! They would not replace his suitcase and told him they had the right to do that!(My brother in law bought the tsa lock after he and my sister had had their scuba gear stolen out of their suitcase!) You can't win!

I stopped using TSA locks after the 8th time that the locks were removed and never replaced. They are worse than useless. I have had contents stolen twice in the last five years out of about 100 trips - both times when collecting baggage after a flight.

I stopped using TSA locks after the 8th time that the locks were removed and never replaced. They are worse than useless. I have had contents stolen twice in the last five years out of about 100 trips - both times when collecting baggage after a flight.

I think installing a TSA lock on your luggage advertises......I have something worth stealing in here... ;)

Ula gave the best advice.......do not pack anything in your luggage ..........that leaves you for hours........ that is valuable. Carry valuables with you.....or best.......leave them at home.....:)

I think installing a TSA lock on your luggage advertises......I have something worth stealing in here... ;)

I guess I'll be removing the locks from my house and car, too. :rolleyes: Geez, but this is just awful advice to leave bags unlocked. I don't care if it's clothes or other possessions, losing it is going to cost you. We used cable ties before the locks came out. I don't expect either method to stop someone taking something, but at least it slows them down and makes them look for easier targets...that aren't unlocked.

To answer your questions, my sister & I drove down, and the only time we were not in control of those belongings either in the safe or the car was during the pack-up. This is not my first cruise, and I don't even bring much jewelry to wear anymore, particularly since we were going to Ocho Rios, but I'm glad they didn't take the Xmas gifts I had purchased. I posted a review(this is my 6th cruise, but new to the board) if anyone would are to read. BTW, just want to say thanks for all the great tips I pick up here. I was in the hospitality business @ a 4 Star Hotel & Spa here in CT, so I know good service, but I'm not a snob about it since I was once on that end. Anyways, thanks to all posters. I was just bummed because it capped a pretty bad crusie, and Princess was the first line I had been on way back when (pre-Carnival) and I used it as my gold standard. Sorry this post is so long

"I would lay blame more at the feet of baggage handlers at the airport than the hard working folks at the cruiseline. The cruiseline employees have way too much to lose if they get caught where the baggage handlers might not have the same concerns/issues."

Now what were you saying about those hard working cruiseline employees.

To answer your questions, my sister & I drove down, and the only time we were not in control of those belongings either in the safe or the car was during the pack-up. This is not my first cruise, and I don't even bring much jewelry to wear anymore, particularly since we were going to Ocho Rios, but I'm glad they didn't take the Xmas gifts I had purchased. I posted a review(this is my 6th cruise, but new to the board) if anyone would are to read. BTW, just want to say thanks for all the great tips I pick up here. I was in the hospitality business @ a 4 Star Hotel & Spa here in CT, so I know good service, but I'm not a snob about it since I was once on that end. Anyways, thanks to all posters. I was just bummed because it capped a pretty bad crusie, and Princess was the first line I had been on way back when (pre-Carnival) and I used it as my gold standard. Sorry this post is so long

"I would lay blame more at the feet of baggage handlers at the airport than the hard working folks at the cruiseline. The cruiseline employees have way too much to lose if they get caught where the baggage handlers might not have the same concerns/issues."

Now what were you saying about those hard working cruiseline employees.

I'm sorry to hear about the stolen items, doesn't matter if the jewellery is real or costume, it's still an invasion of your personal property.

A few months ago I was returning from a business trip to Monaco, I flew by helicopter from Monaco to Nice, AF from Nice to Paris, AF from Paris to JFK, my luggage was held up in Paris (the computers were down / security issues in Paris, over 60 of us had no luggage on arrival in JFK) then Delta cancelled all the late afternoon/evening shuttle flights, thus I stayed the night at a hotel in NYC and flew home to Toronto the next day, my luggage took 2 days longer to get home - 61 hours after I left Monaco, 4 countries later my luggage arrived home with the TSA locks in tact!

I'm confused about who is cutting the TSA locks? I've had my TSA locks for about 5 years now, each and everytime my bags have been opened a TSA note card has been placed inside (I travel with walkie talkies often).

My question is how many individuals touch your luggage from the time you enter the airport, to the time you pick it up off the baggage carousel? I have to admit at the airports where the baggage screening machines are located in the departure area, I always stay and watch my luggage while it is being cleared by TSA I don't leave for my gate until my bag has been placed on the belt.

Travel Safe,

Barb

I always lock my suitcases before/after handing them over to the cruise line.

One time I forgot to unlock one of the suitcases while checking into a flight. The plane was delayed. Because of my locked suitcase (stewardess told me while waiting at gate). When we arrived home they had to saw it off. They must have been mad. That suitcase held all my liquid products, plus extra clothing. Shampoos, creme rinse, pepto bismol, etc. My clothes were now pink and green from the OPENED caps off bottles, plastic bags and leakproof containers.....

Sorry to hear of the misfortune.... This is good advice.

You can lock and should lock all your suitcases that are in the hands of the cruise lines.... They are sitting out in the hallways and you never know who will be tempted to get a handful of things.

Do you think your sister forgot to pack the jewelry?

We forgot to pack something of my DW....and not realizing it until we came home.....

Not sure what a zip tie is? Is it something I can buy at

the grocery store?

Thanks

A Zip Tie is a 6-8" nylon strip with a locking clip at one end. Once you insert

the tie through your luggage zippers or lock holes, you insert the free end

into the locking clip at the other end and pull tight. It will not back out

and must be cut off to be removed.

These are generally used by Electricians and Auto Mechanics and can be

purchased at your local hardware, Home Depot, Lowes, or other similiar

stores. Sorry, probably not available at the grocery store ! :rolleyes:

Larger versions are used by Police as temporary handcuffs. Maybe you've

seen them on TV shows like COPS !

Just a quick reply to posters. Thanks for the TSA/zip tag advice, will certainly use it next time. I guess value is relative to some people, so it really wasn't the amount, it was more the invasion of privacy(rifling thru my unmentionables!), and the topping off of a rather lousy cruise(except for the weather, which made up for a lot!). After so much cruising, perhaps I had become a little to complacent & trusting.I'm the one usually walking around the ship in my bathrobe, treating it like a bigger house. I really just wanted to give fellow cruisers a heads up on this, as I had never encountered it before. She is going to contact Princess about it, though I doubt much will come of it.

WOW!

$500 in costume jewelry is one heck of a lot of jewels for a cruise...and on top of that, your SIL had nice jewelry with her too? I'd say that someone had their eye on SIL and her jewelry all week long, just waiting for an opportunity. :eek:

When I read your post, the first thing I suspected was your fellow passengers. There are lots of people on a cruise ship, and not all of them are respectable. I doubt whether any Princess employee would take such a risk, but it is certainly a possibility.

Perhaps you were targeted because someone saw your sister wearing a lot of jewelry, and made note of your cabin number. They may have thought they were taking the good stuff.

Thank you foir posting this - I am going out today to purchase another TSA lock for DH's luggage. I am very sorry this happened to you - we also do not put anything valuable in our checked luggage, we carry all valuables in a carry on.

Have you contacted Princess and asked them to review the security tapes? If the luggage was gone through in the hallway, they might be able to see it on the security tapes. There was a recent post of someone who had a wheelchair stolen outside their room (while they were all still on the ship) and Princess reviewed the tapes and located the wheelchair and the culprit.

I would call Princess immediately - I'd think they would want to review the tapes to see if it was done in the hallway in order to clear their employees.

Here is another line of thought I have not seen here...

When you put the bags out, it is possible for another passenger to drag them into a cabin and them put them out again later....

We saw this on a cruise a few years ago. The family was reallllly sleezy that was doing it and someone spotted one of thier kids grabbing a bag. Security got onto them and seached thier rooms and bags to get everything back. Just lucky somebody (a steward) spotted them... They had already hit several bags and had about $200 in booz that had been left out...

On our last trip, we had somebodies teens as neighbors that had been roudy nasty and frequently trashed so I put the bags out late and only when I saw the handler in the hallway. Asked him to take them immediately rather than leave them laying there for a few hours...

Unfortunately, even though the passengers are presumed to be 'rich' enough to enjoy the vacation, the 'poor' crew demonstrate better behavior and ethics...

Archived