Freedom of the Seas Debarkation

goodvig

Hi, we are scheduled to sail on Freedom of the Seas in April and really need to get home ASAP on debarkation Sunday...I would really like to book an 8:20am flight home but am concerned about getting off the ship in time. I know RCL posts a 7am debarkation time but I know the ship docks much earlier...anyone have any thoughts on how early we can leave the ship? Thanks!

Don't book THAT early!!! Try for something around 11:30 or so--you should have plenty of time for that, without hanging around the airport for too long. Just make sure that you let the purser know you have an early flight, if you're not carrying off your own bags! If you plan on carrying all of your stuff off the ship, you don't need to inform anyone. As soon as they open the gangplank, go for it!

There is absolutely NO WAY that you could make that flight!!! You have to be at the airport 1.5 hours before your flight so you would have to be there before 7am and the port is about 20 to 30 minutes away from the airport. You would have to be off the ship and completely through immigration and customs before 6:30am to make that flight. The earliest I have heard of them starting to let people off the Freedom was 6:45 - and it still took a while for those people to get out of the terminal and on their way.

Where are you flying to? What date are you flying home on?

I would really like to book an 8:20am flight home but am concerned about getting off the ship in time.

Goodvig,

If you'd like, you can book an 8:20 flight, but there's no chance whatsoever you'll be on it, if you plan on sailing the Freedom the prior week. You'll be lucky to be out of the terminal at that time, even if you are first off the ship.

The ship must first be cleared, then priority disembarkation occurs, then the first group of luggage (colors) are allowed...etc.

If you have to be home (i.e. on that 8:20 flight) it sounds like you will need to prioritize what is more important and/or re-think cruising that particular week.

Jay

All I can share is my personal experience. Making that flight can be done, and rather easily too. But you will need everything to break your way.

IME, I did self debarkation off the maiden voyage of FOS in June. The ship pulled into the port of MIA around 430, by 530 we were along side, and by 630 we were leaving the ship. If you do self-d, you must carry of own bags, and there is generally no porter service available. You generally also have to be a US citizen to do self-d.

We grabbed a cab (there were plenty available) and were at the airport by 710, more than early enought to make an 820 flight.

I can also tell you this was not a fluke; I've done the same move off of Voyager and Navigator multiple times.

So I know the other posters warning you against this mean well, but their definitive statements declaring this to be "impossible" are incorrect. Just keep in mind that you have little to no room for error. It's risky, but if you have a high tolerance for risk - and a good back-up plan - it's worth a shot.

Best of luck to you.

PS - I did not check any bags on my flight; it was all carry-on.

All I can share is my personal experience. Making that flight can be done, and rather easily too. But you will need everything to break your way.

IME, I did self debarkation off the maiden voyage of FOS in June. The ship pulled into the port of MIA around 430, by 530 we were along side, and by 630 we were leaving the ship. If you do self-d, you must carry of own bags, and there is generally no porter service available. You generally also have to be a US citizen to do self-d.

We grabbed a cab (there were plenty available) and were at the airport by 710, more than early enought to make an 820 flight.

I can also tell you this was not a fluke; I've done the same move off of Voyager and Navigator multiple times.

So I know the other posters warning you against this mean well, but their definitive statements declaring this to be "impossible" are incorrect. Just keep in mind that you have little to no room for error. It's risky, but if you have a high tolerance for risk - and a good back-up plan - it's worth a shot.

Best of luck to you.

PS - I did not check any bags on my flight; it was all carry-on.

Yep you are right,and we just got off Freedom Sunday. We were off the ship at 6:30am but there are no guarantees. You will have to carry off your own luggage as he says and if the ship doesnt get cleared right away you could have delays. Its risky but can be done if luck is running your way.

Archived