upgrade 4 Miracle in Dec-not sure I want it

minxkelly

Well, we just got our cabin assignments for the Miracle in December. My whole family is cruising together, 5 couples plus kids including our almost 2 yr old. We had a guaranteed oceanview and they moved us up to room 7284 with a balcony. We originally didn't want a balcony just in case darling son wanted to try and join us... Also, I know we'd prefer an unobstructed window to an obstructed balcony...

SO my question is has anyone been in that cabin on the Miracle? any photos? in general on the Miracle are the doors sufficiently childproofed?

I am upset that carnival misled me as to crib usage, and we never would have booked this with my baby along if I'd known the "crib" was a fold-up Cosco pakNplay measuring 24" x 36" as they told me today when I confirmed our request for one. No way my son will fit in that so it looks like he is stuck on the floor or in bed with us.

I was SO looking forward to the cruise til I got this info. When the rep asked if I wanted the upgrade I wasn't sure what to answer. I hate the thought of anything dampening my anticipation so any encouragement or personal experiences would be appreciated. Also are there fridges in that room/category>? some info seemed like yes, some said no. I would need to store milk in it at times and if there isn't one we need to bring some kind of electric cooler somehow (for the milk Carnival CANNOT provide if you know what I mean).

Any info is appreciated. I want this cruise to be fabulous for all of us.

thanks in advance

Colleen in Chicago

If you don't want a balcony, don't take a balcony. If your 2 year old won't fit in the pack and play, I'm assuming he's a pretty big kid... but even so, he's not going to fall off the balcony... probably won't be able to even open the door. The cabin will have a mini bar, but they aren't extremely cold. You can definitely get milk on the ship, so I'm not sure what you mean there. As for the obstructed vs unobstructed... you booked an oceanview... even an obstructed balcony is one HECK of an upgrade... but you don't have to accept it. If you don't want it, stick with the oceanview...

I think they upgraded us because the other couples in my family all booked suites including the wraparound suites. We have a lot of important family things to celebrate on this cruise and my mom (now passed away) used to book a ton of cruises with Carnival, She did groups with at least one a year for most of her career. I've done cruises and had the balcony before but that was before we had our son. He is 21 months old. too big for a 24" wide packNplay, too small to sleep on the pull out couch

I love getting a freebie certainly, but how obstructed is obstructed? I mean I definitely would prefer blue skies and waves thru a window than poles and lifeboats with no window between us.

hahaha!!! as for the milk thing, I was trying to be delicate. This is the kind of milk you cannot order from Carnival...

thanks for the input so far.

Colleen in Chgo

I think they upgraded us because the other couples in my family all booked suites including the wraparound suites. We have a lot of important family things to celebrate on this cruise and my mom (now passed away) used to book a ton of cruises with Carnival, She did groups with at least one a year for most of her career. I've done cruises and had the balcony before but that was before we had our son. He is 21 months old. too big for a 24" wide packNplay, too small to sleep on the pull out couch

I love getting a freebie certainly, but how obstructed is obstructed? I mean I definitely would prefer blue skies and waves thru a window than poles and lifeboats with no window between us.

hahaha!!! as for the milk thing, I was trying to be delicate. This is the kind of milk you cannot order from Carnival...

thanks for the input so far.

Colleen in Chgo

I haven't heard of anyone having problems with a toddler fitting in a pack and play... my 3 year old nephew stayed in one not too long ago with no problems... you may want to post on the family cruising board and see what they say... you may want to just bring along your own portable crib if you don't think he will fit.

Most balconies, the lifeboats are at rail level.... and WAY better than an oceanview... but that is a decision you have to make. Do a search and look at pictures...

Another nice thing with the balcony that some have done, since your son won't be able to use the pools, some bring a small blow up pool and put it on the balcony for their toddlers to play around in... that would give you some quiet space for you and your son... I would definitely go balcony, but then again, I'm really not picky... get me on the ship :p LOL! Have a great cruise!

PS... I'm assuming you mean pumped milk... check the family boards also, those mini bars are not very cold IMHO, and I don't know what temp you have to keep breast milk at, but that would be a concern for me...

Wow! What a wonderful upgrade. :)

That is not a obstructed view. That is a perfect view. You are on the bump out and not bump in. Lifeboats are down a few decks.

The door is heavy to open on the balcony and locks also. People dream of getting this upgrade.

Yes, I have pics but it is the same pics that you have seen of balcony cabins. They are all the same on the decks unless the aft ones don't have sofas.

Wow! What a wonderful upgrade. :)

That is not a obstructed view. That is a perfect view. You are on the bump out and not bump in. Lifeboats are down a few decks.

The door is heavy to open on the balcony and locks also. People dream of getting this upgrade.

Yes, I have pics but it is the same pics that you have seen of balcony cabins. They are all the same on the decks unless the aft ones don't have sofas.

CrusinAgain is right, it's not obstructed at all. Why did you think it was?

You can keep it locked so your son can't get out there unless he's with you. Besides the regular lock that is down in the middle of the door, I think there might be another lock way up high where he can't reach. I know some ships have these but I'm not sure about the Miracle. We didn't have small children with us so had no reason to check it out. As for the storage of milk, GoinCrusin is right, the refrigerator may not be very cold. You might want to bring a small cooler and ask you cabin steward to keep it filled with ice. We did this for our sodas and it was much colder than the fridge and our steward always kept it full of ice.

thank you!!! thank you!!!!

I didn't know and I think one of the legends on the veranda deck showed obstructed views in that color code withouth showing which ones were obstructed. Or maybe I just misunderstood. This is my first time on the Miracle. I'll be honest, this is my first time with Carnival.

You guys have renewed my excitement. :) I usually go on Celebrity, but 2 of the 5 couples are VERY loyal to Carnival so we let them choose, also since we are bringing our kids, lower costs was a small factor. Hubby can be a snob so I am telling him to let go of all expectations and enjoy what it is instead of expecting what you might get from a cruise double the cost. We will have a great time no matter what I am sure.

I just had this image of looking out the balcony and seeing some huge pipes or somesuch. I don't know. haha! I just didn't want to expect bad things when this cruise is so important to us. I mentioned my mom's passing away. Well, this is her "memorial" cruise for all of us to remember the wonderful trips she always gave us to the Caribbean.

I absolutely appreciate the input from folks. I will praise the upgrade fairy accordingly and be grateful. :)

Colleen in Chgo.

We just cruised the Miracle last month with our 16 month old in a balcony cabin. I wouldn't hesitate to book another one. I didn't have any safety concerns with the balcony; though, he's not a real climber. We did not have a pack n play, but a small crib for the little guy. I agree with other posters, that the fridge really isn't cold. I used the ice bucket to keep a carton of milk cold. It's been a while for me, but maybe your pediatrician can give you guidelines on refrigeration for you son's food supply.

Colleen, I have a feeling after this trip you will be sailing Carnival again. The kids are going to love it and your husband is going to find it isn't downscale at all. There are many things Carnival offers including those wonderful beds and bedding that other lines don't. I do hope you let us know when you return you and your DH's thoughts. Have a wonderful cruise. That is what your Mom would have wanted. :)

With a balcony at least you have somewhere to escape to when your toddler is sleeping.

Since he is under two he wont be using the camps and the balcony will give you much needed alone time to relax.

Don't worry about your toddler being able to open the door--it's really heavy. I could barely open it. :p

I second the comment about the fridges--they aren't cold enough to store milk. I would look into another option.

You will LOVE your balcony! It is soooo much better than ocean view and that deck doesn't have lifeboats (it's deck 6 that has lifeboats, and even so, you still have a nice view). I was just in a balcony room on the Miracle in September (Panorama) and is was amazing. Have fun!

Archived