• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Coral vs. Brilliance of the Seas?

SusieS

Ok. I am a die-hard Princess fan. That said, the Panama canal trip is being done by both the Coral & the Brilliance of the Seas. Has anyone out there been on both of these ships? Which do you prefer, & why? The one time we veered from Princess, I wasn't too happybut I do want to keep an open mind. (We took a short cruise on the Mercury). Thanks for your feedback- Susie

Ok. I am a die-hard Princess fan. That said, the Panama canal trip is being done by both the Coral & the Brilliance of the Seas. Has anyone out there been on both of these ships? Which do you prefer, & why? The one time we veered from Princess, I wasn't too happybut I do want to keep an open mind. (We took a short cruise on the Mercury). Thanks for your feedback- Susie

Hi Susie,

Well # 1 the Coral/Island were made for the Panama Canal, Just narrow enough & Extra Long, Balconies Hanging out Everywhere:D Princess's(IMHO & a lot of other CCs) Prettiest Ships Coral/Island in the Fleet. Has all the showrooms (3) DR's (2) & other things the Grand Class ships have , but 700 less paxs, How can you lose?;) I'm currently on the CORAL on a 2nd Leg my 12th Day:) & this Ship Just Frankly Can't be BEAT! The Food,& Service(Same # of Crew as the Grand Class, but 700 PAXs less;) ) Out of this World! Also did it in 04 on the Island, Wow, What a Great Trip & Ship!(It won us over to Princess, Then & we would rather fight than switch!:D My Best! Bill

LIVE FROM THE CORAL

SusieS, I have not been on Coral but have been on Mercury and I can understand your being concerned about straying from a known line that you enjoy based on that experience. She is truly not a good representation of the Celebrity product, IMHO.

That being said, Brilliance is a truly beautiful ship designed to bring the ocean in by use of tons of glass, light woods and pretty colors. Cabins are well laid and comfortable, and the D1 afts are the pick of the litter.

There are two specialty restaurants aboard and a superb fitness center. The adult only Solarium is lovely.

I find that RCI does a great job with entertainment options in the evenings.

I also think the Radiance class ships are some of the prettiest out there.

Hope this helps a bit and sorry I cannot compare to Coral for you.

In a couple of months I could give you an "expert" opinion. We sailed the Panama Canal on the Brilliance this past March and leave in about 56 days on the Coral, also to the Panama Canal. We have sailed RCCL 8 times. Obviously, we really like it. This will be our first time on Princess and we are really looking forward to it. I'll be glad to make a comparison for you after January 8!

I've been on the Coral and the Radiance of the Seas.(same as brilliance)

We did the Radiance to Hawaii and it is a beautiful ship. Lots of glass and the elevators that face the ocean are great. Large cabins but the balconies aren't as large as the Coral. Drinks, bingo, etc are more on RCCL. We had a great trip and enjoyed the open feeling of the pool and outside decks. It has a very wide open feeling. All the windows are huge when you walk through the ship.

We just did the full canal transit on the Coral this past May. It is a beautiful ship. Perfect for the canal, as the balconies are larger and hang over the ship. Also great viewing area's up front on Caribe and Baja deck for canal viewing.

The only real complaint was the ship has high railings and blue tinted glass all around the pool deck. Makes it hard to get good photo shots.

There also isn't as much large open windows on the Coral. We loved the Coral so much that we came home and booked a 15 day Hawaii cruise next April on the Island Princess (sister to the coral)

I can honestly say that either ship will be a great cruise!!! The canal is awesome

We did the Panama Canal on both ships. What a tough decision you have! I would do either again in a heartbeat! That being said, we preferred the itinerary of the Brilliance (Cayman, Costa Rica, Panama & Aruba) better than the Coral (Cayman, Jamaica, Cozumel, Costa Rica, Panama). However, we are booked again on the Coral in 2008 because they changed the itinerary (Jamaica, Costa Rica, Panama, Aruba, Cartegna, Colombia.) Very much looking forward to this itinerary.

The ships were both amazing! There were some things we liked better on the Brilliance and others we liked better on the Coral. If all things were the same, I would probably choose the Coral over the Brilliance as we like anytime dinining and the promenade deck that goes all the way around the ship. (Like to walk off those extra calories!) IMHO, the Coral is the prettiest and best laid out ship that we have been on to date. The atrium area on the Coral is just gorgeous! I also think the food on the Coral was a little better. The service was hit or miss on both ships. On the Brilliance, we had a great cabin steward and a mediocre wait staff; on the Coral we had a great wait staff and a mediocre cabin steward! :rolleyes:

In conclusion, you can't go wrong with either ship. It's definitely a win-win situation! :) Good luck with your decision. If you have any specific comparison questions, I will try to answer them for you!

We actually had reservations on the Brilliance, but then switched to the Coral instead...partly because we preferred the itinerary, and partly because we REALLY prefer anytime dining on princess to traditional dining on RCCL (not to mention 24 buffet vs. limited buffet hours). We did enjoy our one RCCL cruise, but overall prefer the princess product (although our teens would probably disagree!)

I have been on the Coral and Radiance.

Both are very beautiful ships. I have to say the Radiance (same as Brilliance) seemed more crowded compared to the Coral Princess. The food was better on Princess compared to RCCL but the dining roms were nicer on RCCL.

I would go with the itinerary and I give the edge to Princess for having fresh water pools and anytime dining.

Archived