Journey Bookings Are Open

richsea

It appears that the Bermuda Journey bookings are open on X site. For a mere $5232.00 including all taxes & charges you can have a balcony stateroom for a 7 day cruise next July. At those prices, I think they will be sailing at less than capacity. The least expensive oceanviews can be had for just $4300.00!

What a bargain!!!:eek:

The ship is a lot smaller as Zenith and 99% sold out for most cruises. This leads to higher prices for the few remaining cabins. It's called supply and demand... Furthermore, July is high season. Check September: prices are a lot lower. I booked a CC cabin for the May 12 cruise. I figured that the May 5 cruise might not be a safe bet should dry dock take more time then expected.

Best Regards,

Floris

Wow. Yesterday I went to Oceania's site and was just looking around, and there is a 27 day cruise for just $3,000 more pp. And it is a balcony. No, I think it is a small suite. It goes all the way down to and cruises the Amazon.

Are the "Journey" cruises different from regular Celebrity cruises?

What taxes and charges are involved?

Shay

The ship is a lot smaller as Zenith and 99% sold out for most cruises. This leads to higher prices for the few remaining cabins. It's called supply and demand... Furthermore, July is high season. Check September: prices are a lot lower. I booked a CC cabin for the May 12 cruise. I figured that the May 5 cruise might not be a safe bet should dry dock take more time then expected.

Best Regards,

Floris

I know it's supply & demand.....at those prices, I just don't expect a lot of demand!:D

This ship is supposed to be much nicer than the Zenith. I am deciding between a concierge cabin and a sunset / aft ... have no idea if the aft balconies are much larger than the other balconies ... as they are on the M ships. Which cabin would you book and why? Thanks for your input.

I am deciding between a concierge cabin and a sunset / aft ... have no idea if the aft balconies are much larger than the other balconies ... as they are on the M ships.

Aft cabins are the same size with slightly larger balconies. However, all R class ships have an incredible vibration not only aft but mid ship as well. It only shows up at full speed - so if they don't have to get anywhere fast you should be able to sleep vibration free. Beware!!!!

M & P: I booked an aft on Tahitian Princess (same class of ship) but am in the process of changing it based on the feedback I've been getting from others who have been in those cabins. Due to the size of the ship, if the seas are rough, the movement is very noticeable in the aft cabins. Others have mentioned vibration. Mid ship seems to be preferable. If you do choose a SV, deck 6 or 7 is preferable to 8 (due to noise from deck 9 outside eating area ... scraping chairs, etc.) Balconies are larger for SV's than regular Verandah cabins, and from what I've read, they are largest on deck 6, smallest on deck 8.

I know it's supply & demand.....at those prices, I just don't expect a lot of demand!:D

The prices are this high because the demand is already there. Sailings on May 5, May 19, etc. are already sold out. Celebrity unfortunately can afford to ask what they're asking right now for the very few cabins that remain.

The journey has HALF the capacity of the Zenith.

Booking had already begun for the Zenith prior to the change and with the transferance of reservations, the cabins on hand are fewer. Common sense with checks and balances would say that at half the capacity, the cabins would be double the fare, at least for the first few sailings.

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens with the old Zenith routes in the caribbean, and how the fares with play out for the journey.

Dave:eek:

That is only on paper though. The people who previously booked are paying half price and only the few people needed to fill the ship will be paying the published rate. Celebrity is likely to hold these prices until 90 days prior and then watch them plummet to realistic per diems. If anybody is foolish enough to book now they won't be protected by price drops after their final payment or for happy hour specials.

I am sure Celebrity has looked at the inventory and has decided it is a worthwhile gamble on their part to jack the prices up and see what happens. They know they can sell out at previous per diems during the last 90 days.

I totally agree.If Celebrity can find passengers willing to pay those rates, more power to them. I just don't see them selling out at those rates.

I also wonder what has happened to the blocks of Zenith cabins that have been pre-purchased by agencies under the Zenith rate structure. I know of one semi on-line agency whos is still offering Bermuda cruises at the old rates as of this AM.

Out of curiosity, I called the agency that has the old rates posted on their site & they told me that they are not accepting new bookings pending notification from Celebrity regarding the new rates; they just have not updated the site.

Before notification came out regarding Journey taking over Zenith's Bermuda itinerary, there was a thread regarding the major increase in cost for Bermuda in 2007. At that time, before knowing about Journey replacing Zenith, an inside cabin for 2--lowest cat (Zenith)was still over twice what I had paid for my oceanview cabin for 2 highest cat(Zenith). Many of us speculated the reason for it and now we know. :o

Unfortunately, many people who chose this itinerary are "locals". We are within driving distance and can make this cruise at the last minute, Bermuda is a beautiful island and it was AFFORDABLE. Many of us were "repeaters" on Zenith. It will be interesting to see if the cruise has now outpriced itself. :rolleyes: Afterall, Port Liberty and NYC will offer many competitive prices and intineraries that can run a couple less than $4000 a week. For that amount of money we can purchase cheap air and still manage to spend a week doing a nice land vacation in Bermuda.

Out of curiosity, I called the agency that has the old rates posted on their site & they told me that they are not accepting new bookings pending notification from Celebrity regarding the new rates; they just have not updated the site.

All the previously blocked unsold group space was taken back by Celebrity.

Folks who had already deposited were reaccommodated, but ALL agencies lost their space. We had to open up new gorup space, but not on the dates we necessarily had in the past.

Despite the higher per diems, the ship (well at least with my clients) is selling.

Our key account manager was in today and she said this will not be a premium ship, but a luxury ship.

'Bout time we had a fabulous ship to Bermuda!

Karen I agree with you. Many many of the pax on Zenith were repeaters (we sailed her 4 times) and locals (within driving distance). We booked two of our cruises in the 3 weeks prior to sailing and got very good rates, as you did. For the rates that X is now charging on Journey we are able to get a balcony cabin for a 9 day Caribbean cruise or even a mini-suite on another cruise line on a brand new ship. There is no way I can justify those costs quoted for a 7 day to Bermuda.

Many of us chose X because their atmosphere was slightly more upscale than RCL/NCL but the prices were still within reason for great food and service. Zenith may have not had all the bells and whistles but she had enough of a wonderful atomosphere (and larger regular cabins than Journey) to make it an easy choice for many.

To tell you the truth I'm not sure which direction Celebrity is moving in. Do they want to be a luxury small cruise line charging outrageous prices or are they going to be a big ship, upscale mass market line. They do have 3 new ships being built holding more than 2800 pax...will these ships be considered luxury ships? You can't be all things to all people and their brand image is becoming blurry.

It seems to me from these Boards that the people most excited about Journey are 1. the ones who had booked Zenith and got unbelieveable one time upgrades to suites 2. very very frequent cruisers who are well off and can cruise multiple times each year on all kinds of ships and can afford luxury lines and are looking for a quiet, no-kids atmosphere.

We don't qualify in either category.

I just checked the X website and I can book an ocean view stateroom (11 feet smaller than Zenith's standard room) during hurricane season in August for a mere $6100 for 3 of us(not including taxes).:eek: :eek: We just came back from Zenith and paid $2700 for 3 of us.

What more do I get for double the price...besides a smaller room, on a smaller ship, with fewer people??? Oh yeah, the furniture is newer. I forgot that.:confused:

Before notification came out regarding Journey taking over Zenith's Bermuda itinerary, there was a thread regarding the major increase in cost for Bermuda in 2007. At that time, before knowing about Journey replacing Zenith, an inside cabin for 2--lowest cat (Zenith)was still over twice what I had paid for my oceanview cabin for 2 highest cat(Zenith). Many of us speculated the reason for it and now we know. :o

Unfortunately, many people who chose this itinerary are "locals". We are within driving distance and can make this cruise at the last minute, Bermuda is a beautiful island and it was AFFORDABLE. Many of us were "repeaters" on Zenith. It will be interesting to see if the cruise has now outpriced itself. :rolleyes: Afterall, Port Liberty and NYC will offer many competitive prices and intineraries that can run a couple less than $4000 a week. For that amount of money we can purchase cheap air and still manage to spend a week doing a nice land vacation in Bermuda.

I agree with you, I think that they may have out priced themselves. I was planing on a return visit to Bermuda this year on Zenith, but I am now considering an air/land option at a small hotel.

We are fortunate to take various vacations a year. Both kids graduate college this year. I work part time, my husband just took early retirement at 55. So we want to enjoy life while we still can!! And thankfully, we will be able to afford to.

BUT there are too many alternatives out there that will be price competitive. I had several great cruises on Zenith to Bermuda, I just can't see spending the current prices on Journey, more luxurious ship or not. Too many other choices out there.

I agree with you, I think that they may have out priced themselves. I was planing on a return visit to Bermuda this year on Zenith, but I am now considering an air/land option at a small hotel.

A major reason for taking a cruise to Bermuda was that it was a good value compared to flying there and staying at a hotel. The reason I cruised to Bermuda was that I like Bermuda, the ship in this situation was more like a hotel than the typical cruise. I will fly to Bermuda and stay at a hotel before paying the prices they are quoting for Journey.

For the rates that X is now charging on Journey we are able to get a balcony cabin for a 9 day Caribbean cruise or even a mini-suite on another cruise line on a brand new ship. There is no way I can justify those costs quoted for a 7 day to Bermuda.

To tell you the truth I'm not sure which direction Celebrity is moving in. Do they want to be a luxury small cruise line charging outrageous prices or are they going to be a big ship, upscale mass market line. They do have 3 new ships being built holding more than 2800 pax...will these ships be considered luxury ships? You can't be all things to all people and their brand image is becoming blurry.

It sounds like you're talking about Crown Princess. We're sailing on her this Saturday; our first Princess cruise after 13 on Celebrity. We love X, but they are making it harder to stay with them with some of their recent business decisions. Hopefully we will enjoy our Princess cruise & open other alternatives to Celebrity. We shall see.

I agree regarding Celebrity's direction, or lack thereof. I just don't see how they can successfully be both a small ship luxury line & at the same time be building 118,000 GRT ships catering to upwards of 3000 passengers; while squeezing their passengers for every dollar in petty charges after they board.

It sounds like you're talking about Crown Princess. We're sailing on her this Saturday; our first Princess cruise after 13 on Celebrity. We love X, but they are making it harder to stay with them with some of their recent business decisions. Hopefully we will enjoy our Princess cruise & open other alternatives to Celebrity. We shall see.

You are correct. We are looking at a mid-June sailing...I have a child in school. Celebrity is making it pretty hard for us to stay loyal to them and have left us without much alternative for summer cruising. I'm not interested in Alaska and if I go to Europe it will be a land vacation to Italy as I have lots of family throughout the boot.

As a veteran Celebrity cruiser I would be very interested in what you have to say about Princess. As I've heard there are differences, some good some not so good but that's what makes it interesting. Please come back and let us know what you think of Princess. Will you do traditional or personal choice dining?

Thanks and have a wonderful cruise!

You are correct. We are looking at a mid-June sailing...I have a child in school. Celebrity is making it pretty hard for us to stay loyal to them and have left us without much alternative for summer cruising. I'm not interested in Alaska and if I go to Europe it will be a land vacation to Italy as I have lots of family throughout the boot.

As a veteran Celebrity cruiser I would be very interested in what you have to say about Princess. As I've heard there are differences, some good some not so good but that's what makes it interesting. Please come back and let us know what you think of Princess. Will you do traditional or personal choice dining?

Thanks and have a wonderful cruise![/quote

We're taking our 8yo grandson with us this trip so are trying personal choice dining so our schedule can ba as flexible as possible. We enjoy traditional dining but thought that this would be a good time to try something defferent. I'll report back when we return.

I too looked into the Crown for late spring out of Red Hook & was surprised that we could have a balcony cabin for a 9 day cruise for about what we paid on Zenith this past summer for an oceanview, & certainly MUCH less than Journey.

M & P: I booked an aft on Tahitian Princess (same class of ship) but am in the process of changing it based on the feedback I've been getting from others who have been in those cabins. Due to the size of the ship, if the seas are rough, the movement is very noticeable in the aft cabins. Others have mentioned vibration. Mid ship seems to be preferable. If you do choose a SV, deck 6 or 7 is preferable to 8 (due to noise from deck 9 outside eating area ... scraping chairs, etc.) Balconies are larger for SV's than regular Verandah cabins, and from what I've read, they are largest on deck 6, smallest on deck 8.

Susan-M Appreciate your advice. We've always tried for aft cabins since we've only sailed the larger M ships - even in rough seas, the movement was not so terrible. After reading all the messages in this thread, I think I will pass on the Journey for now - should Celebrity decide to discount the Bermuda prices, we will reconsider. One of the things we have always appreciated about Celebrity is the fact that we felt we were getting good value for $$$ spent - but these prices are out of line for Bermuda and there are other alternatives, including RCL departing from Phila. However, if and when we do book on the Journey, I will keep your good advice in mind and stick to mid ship, decks 6 or 7. Thanks for the good advice.

I am not only a booked pax on 4/28, but also a TA paying full fare. And I was not accommodated! X did not rebook me, but did give me 3 options, one of which I probably willl accept - assuming the month I want is available.

Archived