Has anybody bought a Holland America bed?

LDVinNC

We were on the Westerdam a few weeks ago and just loved the bed. We are considering buying one. Price is reasonable for a good king size bed, considering there is no shipping charge. Just wondering if anyone has bought one and if it truly is the same bed as on the ship. Thanks.

Laurie

Maybe I'm mistaken ... but isn't the "Holland America bed" just a certain brand of Seely mattress? If so, you buy that brand and wala ... you have a Holland America bed.

I can't imagine Seely would create a special mattress exclusively for Hollland America. Surely, they wouldn't buy the hundreds of thousands of mattresses that would make such an undertaking worthwhile. Rather, Seely probably just relabeled (rebranded) a bunch of luxury mattresses of a standard brand ... something like Seely Holland America Sleep System ... and sold them to the cruise line. You are probably just buying a standard brand of luxury mattress, affixed with the Holland America label when you buy a "Holland America bed."

But ... of course, I've been wrong before ... so maybe I'm wrong about this too.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Its just a Sealy posturepedic with a special fabric cover on it. The price they list is close to what we paid, but our model has some additional options and a longer warranty. If you like it go for it, not a bad price really. Mattresses are such a pain to shop for though because not all stores have the same models so you may want to get more details specs on it, and go to a couple of stores to test out some. Also see what their policy is for return, if its not exactly like the ones in the stateroom, and you have some problems. good luck

Yes, I know it is a Sealy Posturepedic. I don't care about the cover saying Holland America, but I figure it might be a good way to get exactly what we like. Mattress shopping is hard, and the lying down on bed after bed is not the same as sleeping on it for 7 nights and deciding that's what we want.

Just would like to know if anyone has bought it thru Holland America.

Laurie

I know Laffnvegas bought one of these beds a couple of years ago when they first started selling them but I believe she might be on a cruise right now. Seems to me she was certainly delighted with her purchase at the time.

No, Not on a cruise yet but just 8 days from right now I will already be on the Zaandam:D

Yes we bought the HAL mattress June 2005. I really do like the mattress. First off we have had several mattresses over the years and mattress shopping is very hard. It may feel right in the store but when you get it home it is just not what you thought. Many mattress stores give you a 30 day trial but then there is the hassle factor if you do need to return it. After several HAL cruises we knew that their mattress would be good. Yes it is a Sealy mattress but has anyone every checked on HOW MANY different Sealy mattresses there are? Also Sealy makes the mattress to HAL's specifications. I found their price to be excellent, actually lower than many of the good Sealy mattresses here locally. I also paid no shipping cost or sales tax. Over all I found it to be a good deal and so far we are happy with our purchase.

I agree with the below quote. Mattresses are hard to shop for. If you like it after a week, then you will like it at home. Great test. Westin and other hotels now offer their Heavenly Beds and such. Great marketing and great idea. The trouble is that we are usually in a hotel for only a night or two. If you like something after a week you are set. Their service and price are right on the mark. Delivery was fantastic. They even removed my existing mattress and placed it in the garage. About 6 months ago we went the whole way and purchased a top of the line Stearns pillow top. I have a friend in the furniture biz who got me the "on sale" $4,000 mattress set for $1,000. We figured S&F - can't go wrong. A few nights on it and we hated it. Heard that HAL was selling their beds online and went for it. It's the best investment we ever made and a lot cheaper than the hotel sites. We are happy campers. Can't wait till our December cruise to enjoy the set with the requisite wave motion.

No, Not on a cruise yet but just 8 days from right now I will already be on the Zaandam:D

Yes we bought the HAL mattress June 2005. I really do like the mattress. First off we have had several mattresses over the years and mattress shopping is very hard. It may feel right in the store but when you get it home it is just not what you thought. Many mattress stores give you a 30 day trial but then there is the hassle factor if you do need to return it. After several HAL cruises we knew that their mattress would be good. Yes it is a Sealy mattress but has anyone every checked on HOW MANY different Sealy mattresses there are? Also Sealy makes the mattress to HAL's specifications. I found their price to be excellent, actually lower than many of the good Sealy mattresses here locally. I also paid no shipping cost or sales tax. Over all I found it to be a good deal and so far we are happy with our purchase.

Just to let you know...I used to bein the furniture/bedding business.

This is a Sealy mattress. But this will probably not be the same thing you can purchase in a retail store. Sealy and all other mattress companies have what they call hotel/or institutional lines. They are constructed to a different standard.

I really liked the feel of their matress last year when we cruised on the Veendam.

I pulled the sheets back and took a look.

It is a well constructed pillow topped mattress. Very comfortable.

To buy the same model in the store is unlikely but you will find something close.

Remember one thing with this type of mattress....this is very important....

You will need to turn this type of bedding at least once a month. If not the pillow top will start to compress.

We also bought this mattress a few weeks ago. I was a little worried because there is no returning it unless it is damaged. But it is very comfortable and we are happy with it. It does feel like the one in the boat to me.:D

Just to let you know...I used to bein the furniture/bedding business.

This is a Sealy mattress. But this will probably not be the same thing you can purchase in a retail store. Sealy and all other mattress companies have what they call hotel/or institutional lines. They are constructed to a different standard.

I really liked the feel of their matress last year when we cruised on the Veendam.

I pulled the sheets back and took a look.

It is a well constructed pillow topped mattress. Very comfortable.

To buy the same model in the store is unlikely but you will find something close.

Remember one thing with this type of mattress....this is very important....

You will need to turn this type of bedding at least once a month. If not the pillow top will start to compress.

Please educate me about matress care....I am ignorant about it. You say to turn your mattress monthly. How? Does "Turn" mean to flip it? Maybe just rotating? Honestly, I don't have a clue. I did not think that pillowtops were to be flipped....is there a "pillowtop" on each side? Also our bed is a King mattress and it is almost impossible for the two of us to flip the thing.....any hints on how to do that, if that is what is recommended.

You cannot flip this mattress it needs to be turned. Although I have to admit we do not do it as often as we should:o

That's fine if it's a king..but are you saying if I get a queen size, the pillow top will flatten quickly, since it can't be turned sideways..just top to bottom?

You cannot flip this mattress it needs to be turned. Although I have to admit we do not do it as often as we should:o

Thanks so much for the mattress care advice. Our bedding is probably 10 years old or more...so a new mattress would probably be in order.

We were on the Westedam for 2 weeks and slept very well on the HAL mattress. I can't remember thinking that it was the BEST mattress we have ever used, though. Maybe I just was not observant. The one I do remember as being incredible was the mattress at the Bellagio, in Las Vegas. When you got upon it you did "sink in", and I was worried that it would give me a backache (I sleep on a firm mattress and have at times placed a board under it when my back was acting up). It did not hurt my back and I slept like a baby! I never wanted to get out of bed! It was a very soft and "sink-in" feeling but obviously had some exceptional support. When I was "dragged" out of bed, I experienced no pain or stiffness at all. Somehow I neglected to check what kind of mattress it was, and the hotel won't tell me! Anyone know what the Bellagio puts on their beds?

Spent a pre cruise night at The Westin Vancouver before Alaska last year.

I could have spent the week in that bed!! Not to mention all the other "Heavenly' amenities.

I now sleep in my "Heavenly Bed" at home!!

(Skip all the overpriced bedding (sheets, duvets, dust ruffle etc...)..just buy the bed and the pillows!!)

After sleeping for 10 nights on the Noordam bed, we are also thinking about purchasing the Sealy mattress. And free shipping and no tax, even better.

Thank you all for your input.

We have really enjoyed the new bedding on HAL. My favorite part are the wonderful sheets and pillow cases. We didn't buy them form HAL, but bought new sheets as close as we could find at a local store. They are wonderful and it reminds me of being back on board every night!

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I spent weeks trying to hunt down the identical Sealy mattress we had on the Westerdam in our local stores. Forget it. Mattress companies confuse the issue with different names for each mattress in each store. So if you liked the bed, buy it from HAL. Sweet dreams!

Could somenone please post the link to where HAL sells their bedding? This is really an interesting topic that I would like to pursue. Thanks.

http://www.shophollandamerica.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category_detail&category_id_int=11671

My wife and I purchased the bedding last year as a Christmas present for each other. We fell in love with the mattress on our Alaska cruise in May 2005 and were told then they would soon be available online. As somone pointed out, the mattresses are close to what one could buy retail, but not exactly because there are subtle differences besides the cover.

We are very pleased. At first my wife wasn't as happy as she thought she would be because it was "too comfortable to sleep on her back". She hadn't slept all night on her bacj since she was in her 20's and the thought of sleeping all night on her back made her think something was wrong when in fact it couldn't have been better.

Of course when we purchased the mattress HAL was having a special and the King was only $950 delivered. Compared to other mattresses that was a deal, especially considering no sales tax. I noticed the site today list the price at $1299 and knowing how well it sleeps for the long term I would probably spend that, but I would have been hard pressed to spend that much back then.

We bought the bed in August, after having been on a cruise on the Zaandam theprevious March. The price was so good ( 999.00 for a queen) I tried to talk spouse into to it as soon as we heard they were available. Better half was unsure , and then finally did it for my birthday, but by then the price had gone up 200.00. It is higher than our old mattress, and we have adjusted to it and both like it , but ours is SO Loud !!!! Just rolling over makes terrible creaking noises. Does anyone else have this problem ? I was wondering if we should let HAL know, maybe we have a lemon. It is comfortable, and we like it except for the noise, but I don't think it is as comfortable as the one on the ship, so maybe we need the mattress topper ( feathrbed)for Christmas. Has anyone gotten that ?

But really , are we the only ones with a noisy HAL bed ?

We have had ours for well over a year and can honestly say there is no noise now:) Yes in the beginning the first few months there was some noise but that went away or maybe I just don't notice it now:D I would contact them and see what they say.

I also have to agree that while I really like our mattress and think it is the best one we have ever purchased, especially since we bought in the beginning when they were really cheap. I think it does feel different than the ship, the main reason is because we have a California King, the mattresses on the ships are twins and they push them together to make a King size.

Archived