Memoirs of Peach Sunsets R635

Kinkacruiser

Time to transport yourself to the islands of Vanuatu.....

"Memoirs of Peach Sunsets"

Day 1: Embarkation Day.

There was a tingle of excitement as the taxi from the airport approached the Portside terminal. Our "Pacific Star" was docked and looked huge. Brisbane's cruise terminal was not really geared for an influx of approximately 1200 passengers, so we were lucky that we checked our luggage in early and then waited possibly 2-3 hours before embarkation procedures.We were one of the first 100 people to board due to our check-in time. Within 15 minutes (super fast) we were in our cabin.I was pleasantly surprised at the quality and size of the room.I unpacked the ports and there was still a lot of time before lunch and the Sailaway party on the top decks.Sailaway was so overwhelming. I couldn't help crying from happiness as the ship's horn sounded. It was a huge release and I hugged my darling tightly.The saving, planning, packing and excitement exploded in tears.

Sailing down the Brisbane R was just wonderful..We sipped on wine and took in the blue skies. The staff (600 to service 1200+ passengers) were predominantly Filipino, Indonesian or African and a few New Zealanders.The service was excellent always.We met our permanent 5.45pm dinnerguests and enjoyed their company and laughter for the next 10 evening meals.I thought at the time how lucky we were to be matched with such congenial company.Each night had a different menu theme. I was adventurous and tried new dishes all the time. The escargot were delisch, as was everything we ate. You couldn't fault the food and service at all.

Day 2: Seasick Day

Spent most of the day in bed asleep as the Stemeze make you drowsy.I consumed the best part of a pack of ginger but they did not help, a double dose of the sedative did however. The soup and bread is great when you are not feeling too hot.Poor Keith felt so helpless as he didn't know what to do, so he bought me a bunch of roses, which I may add, lasted until the end of the cruise.

I noticed today, when I was getting soup etc, that people overate, piled thie large plated s high, ate 3-4 courses at each meal sitting. Some even ordered all the dishes and only ate a small portion of each..such waste and greed.

Day 3: First Landfall-Noumea, Vanuatu

The seas were still choppy from the remmnants of the cyclone and as we stood on the top deck looking out at Noumea and it's stunning fringing barrier reef, the wind was peaking at 35 knots, that was enough to almost push you over.You really did need a cardy as the wind had a real bite to it.I was over the nausea today and took to the walking track before the winds picked up.It was only 220m circumference so I had to do about 30 laps which took 30 mins.I didn't like the walking machine in the gym.

The French dominate commerce in Noumea and they were not overly pleasant. I bought a wooden turtle here and it looks great on our dining room table now.We docked too late in the afternoon to take advantage of our booked shore tour, so P&O were nice enough to give us a refund on that. Shame, I would have liked to see the sights.At least here, to my knowledge, the Kanakas did not ask for gold coins for their welcome song on the wharf.

Each evening we dressed for dinner and I enjoyed a different cocktail.Keith generally had beer or a spirit. With the range of duty free liquor on board there will be much Christmas cheer to look forward to.

Day 4: Lifou Island, Vanuatu

The big event here was the goat-track climb to an old missionery church.. a Catholic one which had an altar covered in flowers inside and a few statues.Keith was so proud of his efforts to climb the slope, considering his handicap and heart.There were a few stalls selling local crafts and I got some lovely red beads pendant here.

I should mention at this point, the professional shows that were performed each night...musical productions which were about an hour long.There were also solo acts..one night a comedian , then a flutist, a talent show, a movie night, an island deck party, a western line dance night, so there was plenty of entertainment always.

Day 5: Port Vila

We took in a great shore tour here to the Ekasup Cultural Village, where we saw the natives traditional Kanaka lifestyle of 100+ years ago.The tour guide mentioned they were cannibals only when there was a food shortage.The missionaries put an end to this practice but even today a bride will still cost a young man $10.000 as there are not enough pigs on the island now. There are a lot of single men and women, to say the least.They are able to maintain a traditional tourist village, due to the support of P&O tourists. There is also a donation tin at the end of the tour.

The tourist parts of Vila are very posh, but the balance of what we saw were 3rd world conditions, where people often resort to collecting donations. Children are often exploited to tug on the heartstrings of the tourists.Would you ask for a dollar or two for a photo of a lizard on a child's hand or a caught turtle in a bucket or a bird that's had its wings and tail clipped? So sad..

Day 6: Champagne Beach (or Paradise)

Imagine white sand with aquamarine clear water lapping your toes. I had a delicious swim here and the high salt content of the water allowed you to float beautifully.Yes, this is where everybody wanted to move to. We took a impromptu tour to the Blue Lagoon via mini bus...$10 each then when we got to the place, we were asked to give the local caretakers/landowners another $3 to see and swim in the lagoon if we wanted to. It was well worth it. This was a natural spring of freshwater, something the size of a billabong or small lake.Keith thought it was so novel that there was a beachside bar on Champage beach.

Back on board there was a Pirates Night and we were kidnapped as we left the door of the restaurant for a photo.

Day 7: Luganville

Chinese-owned shops were everywhere and it was very steamy walking the only street in the town. This was a copra exporting port and a huge selection of stalls all selling very similar goods..sarongs, basketware, grass skirts, wooden carvings. These items are all supplied by the Chinese owned shops, who collect the bulk of the takings leaving the natives with a pittance. Hence there is no room for bartering.

We did the Riri R. cruise by outrigger canoe to the Blue hole, another freshwater swimming hole..what a special place.Travelling 30mins to the place of canoe boarding, we passed through huge coconut plantations and tropical beef herds. The countryside is very lush and green and pristine rainforest is still abundant.

Day 8: Wala Island

This was a second to the beauty of Champagne Bay. Lots of craft stalls again and we got some traditional things here. ..in particular some Riverstone carvings that looked similar to the Easter Island statues.The people were very friendly again. You have to wonder if they are not playing on that to get more donations? There was coral very close to shore but I never snorkelled as people were saying there was a white film over all the coral from the recent cyclone.At 4pm the captain weighed anchor and we started the 2.5 day journey back to Australia.

Day 9: At sea

I was looking for a crossword book today..just loved the ports and finding myself at a bit of a loss. Keith was buried in a book.It was Island Night so I dressed in the silk sarong I bought( with slacks underneath of course) Shame I didn't get a picture of that one.

I almost got caught into a detox package at a health and fitness seminar. I had an interesting consultation with him which I will tell you more about another time.

Tonight was a formal dinner night and what looked like 100 Bombe Alaskas did the rounds of the 500 seater Bordeaux restaurant. We had a formal portrait taken tonight, which I am very pleased with.

Day 10: At Sea

Would you believe this was the clearest, sunniest of the 10 days...absolutely balmy seas too.I packed a bit then relaxed on deck. Tried my very first martini before dinner..what a potent drop...Campari and Creme de Cacao.The dinner menu was Australian, so in usual style I had pumpkin soup, barramundi and peach melba. Keith was ready to perform in the last night's talent quest, but the Filipino would not loan him his guitar, which Keith thought was fair enough.

Day 11: Brisbane

I was up at 3am taking night pictures of the Brisbane port and skyline..I guess you could say I was missing home and our babes and was keen for the day to rush on.We had to vacate our rooms by 6 am and It was about 8.30am when we finally got our turn to disembark, chatting to people in the public waiting areas in the interim.Keith's sister was waiting for us and we spent some time with her and her family until 2pm when we left for the airport. Delays meant we got into Rockhampton at 5pm, just in time to pick up our Louis and Kaiser (who as you can imagine was over the moon to see us).

Hope you enjoyed the read ;)

Happy Cruisin...

Kinka

Hi Kinka, thank you for a great revue.... makes me want to go away again right now.... but I will have to wait until march.

by you name....are you at kinka beach..??

we are at the northern beaches of Mackay.

kind regards, Lorraine:) :)

Yes, Lorraine, only a central Queeneslander would have known that. We've been to Mackay ... Kohuna resort about 5 years ago. Where are you off to in March?

Bye,

Kinka

Hi Kinka, have been down your way a few times... nice...nice

we are cruising Auckland to Sydney on Sapphire Princess. march 12 ....haven't cruised on her before.

we live about 500 metres from the old Kohuna. overlook Brampton Island.

kindest regards, Lorraine:) :)

thanks kinka for taking the time to write your review. you certainly have a lovely way with words. Like the rest it makes me want to book another one.

I think i need to join forces with ADF to work on our husbands to book again.

karon

ps ADF, i think shouting kinka may have the least of your problems!!!LOL

Kinka,

when I first saw your name I was wondering if you were from Kinka Beach. I'm in Rocky. I did Pacific Star R627 "Island Indulgance" in August. Yours sounds very similar to mine and I loved it.

Trevor

Wow! Central Queenslanders everywhere! My partner is from Gladstone and I did my last few years of high school there before we moved to Brissie for Uni. Now that we have finished Uni we are moving back to Gladstone for graduate jobs in January :) We will have to go on mini cruises to Heron and Great Keppel I think lol

Archived