The Baths of Virgin Gorda ~ Info & MAP

OCruisers

Great site. Very helpful.

Mandy, I have tried to email Patouche a couple of times and I am not getting a reply. I was curious about their deal. Is it a whole day or can you do a half day? Would you mind letting me know what the charge is for what you are doing? I am only a snorkeler. If you have a good email address, please let me know.

Thanks so much.

Sorry - I just noticed this thread again. Here is the email address I used: patouche@surfbvi.com It was all day - 9:00-4:00 with checkin at 8:30 (we got there close to 9:00 - HAL Zuiderdam arrived over an hour late coming from St Thomas). It was only snorkeling, no SCUBA or Snuba. We paid $100 each, but by booking early, Patouche gave 10% off. They gave us the $10 each back when we checked in... which we chose to donate as tips at the end of the day. Definitely a great group to go with!! Some of my other posts a while back gave more details - we did this last November - so you may also want to scan through "find all posts" when clicking on my username. I'll see if I can find a good link with details. The lunch onboard was good IMHO, but there are always people who just don't like what's offered.

Some of my other posts a while back gave more details - we did this last November - so you may also want to scan through "find all posts" when clicking on my username. I'll see if I can find a good link with details.

Try this thread - I made several posts on it with additional information about our day with Patouche this past November. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=125133&highlight=patouche

• 2 weeks later...
Here is a website with WONDERFUL information on The Baths of Virgin Gorda with a MAP and soooooooooooo much more:

The Baths - Info & MAP

Hope you will find this as helpful as we always have!

We've been lucky enough to have been to Tortola many times and have gone to The Baths both on the various ships' shore excursions and OnYourOwn (while on land trips). Have loved all excursions taken in Tortola and still interested going to the places we've missed.

For THE FIRST TRIP to Tortola ... don't miss The Baths! (The above website is GREAT!)

We'll do our best to help if you have any other questions! Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

How very kind you are to share ALL this information. There is nothing like the kindness of the CruiseClues folks.

Can't wait to go. Sept. 10, 2005!!!!!!:)

• 2 weeks later...

Seaserpent

When you go to the baths send back info on the ferries and taxi's. We are going there in Dec. on a Saturday. I you do it on your own I would appreciate any helpful info as to getting there. I may go with the ship but it's not one of my farvourite things to do. I don't like being herded if you know what I mean :o

This is my second time at the Baths on July 29, 2005 and once again its spectacular! I had a short port day from mycruise. I was only there for bout 2.5 hrs..Not enough time. There was a mild chop in the water and it was beautiful blue skies. A little bit about me: Ive snorkeled alot and some of the best areas in Carribean for the past 40 years..Im now 57 :eek: time flies. I had quite an experience this time due to the weather changing very quickly.

I used the map that is posted here and snorkeled north off the beach. It was fantastic! Just be careful & aware of the jellyfish that like to hang around that area. Actually, I was able to observe them, they are quite beautiful. They dont have long tentacles like others Ive seen (Ive not seen those at the baths). After swimming that area for bout an hour, my son and I decided to hike over to Devils bay through the caves. Time was running out for us.

Ive not snorkeled in Devils Bay before. I left my fins behind rather than carry them over all the rocks as I needed my hands for stability. As soon as I got in the water I realized what a mistake I made by leaving behind my fins. I swam all the way past the rocks that jut out on the left hand side of the bay. Thats a long swim with no fins. There were a few boats that were now picking up snorklers. Unbeknownst to me, the weather was changing fast! I swam behind those rocks and was following my son inbetween two narrow boulders. He said I found a cave with tons of fish. All of a sudden the sky darkened and it started to rain. A wind kicked up real fast. The water got very very choppy :eek: I got scared and was screaming at my son to start back to shore..we were way out there WITH NO FINS. If we both had fins,,it would have not have been difficult, but without them, in that chop and as far out as we were was a challenge. I nearly got slammed into a boulder and missed it by a hair. I have never seen the ocean change so quickly. My son was oblivious! He was watching the schools of fish. I have had many talks with my son about always being aware of your surroundings and checking your position. You can drift out with a current and not even know it because your totally intoxicated with watching the marine life. Im yelling and screaming at him to get his attention that its dangerous and we have to get back to shore NOW! We were the only two out there. :eek:

That was one heck of a swim back!! Im sure it was at least 1/2 mile. I must have lost 10lbs. I had to rush back over the rocks through the cave and up the hill to catch the bus to the ferry. I thought my heart would burst.

So it was an excellent day the Baths and you can rest assure I will schlep my fins over the boulders next time. Ill have to figure a way to do that. I lectured my son AGAIN on being oblivious..He too nearly got slammed into the boulders by the waves that came out of nowhere. Thank God we are both strong swimmers. Read on......

PS..On the way back to Tortola the weather got worse. We sailed out into a tropical depression that turned into A TS. I forgot the name they gave it. We were in 8 hours of wicked weather. My swim experience was the tropical depression coming over Virgin Gorda.. Holy Cow. That is one for the books.

Starz,

Thanks for the heads up on the fins I was thinking about leaving mine behind also for the baths. One question does the Baths have any lockers you can rent to store back pack and other personal stuff while snorkeling.

There are (or at least were), some coin operated lockers. I've always just left what little I brough on the beach when snorkeling.

I carry my fins with, although you can also swim around the bolders to Devil's Bay. Many people take their shoes off for going through the bolders.

From Devil's Bay, there is a path back up to the top which is easier for many than going back through the boulders.

No facilities or anything at Devil's Bay, just beach and the water, so bring whatever you are going to want/need.

Ditto..there are coin operated lockers. The path to the top from Devils Bay is appealing, but climbing over the rocks is fun.

Next time Im gonna try the swim around the boulders to devils bay. Be cautious of the jellyfish..thats where they like to hang out.

• 4 weeks later...

Are the Baths a good place to go with kids? We will be taking a cruise with a group of friends in May 2006 (14 adults and 17 kids ages 4-12) I would love to go over from Tortola (will be in port 7am-5pm) but I am not sure if the kids can handle the boulders?

Are the Baths a good place to go with kids? We will be taking a cruise with a group of friends in May 2006 (14 adults and 17 kids ages 4-12) I would love to go over from Tortola (will be in port 7am-5pm) but I am not sure if the kids can handle the boulders?

Your children will have a great time! Ours always LOVED it when they were young -- fun sort of cave thing ... not scary at all. Remember, it's much more than the boulders ... a nice beach as well. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone been to Norman Island?

sandbag .... We certainly feel "The Baths of Virgin Gorda" is worth the visit and everyone should try to see ... BUT ... HEAR what you're saying. After many times on Virgin Gorda we NOW absolutely love going to Norman Island when in Tortola on cruise ship by taking this excursion:

Tortola "Virgin Island Sail Away" Review (On Tortola Board or just Click Here)

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

• 2 weeks later...

:) Thanks to all, especially OCruiser, for the extensive info on Tortola. We are cruising next week and planned on staying onboard while in Tortola but thanks to all the positive feedback on this beautiful island, we will be ready to jump ship.

Enjoy each day...

:) Thanks to all, especially OCruiser, for the extensive info on Tortola. We are cruising next week and planned on staying onboard while in Tortola but thanks to all the positive feedback on this beautiful island, we will be ready to jump ship.
Enjoy each day...

Hello,
I have a slightly different question. We will be docking in Virgin Gorda and after reading all the fabulous reviews I would love to go to "The Baths".
How far is it by cab (or should I more accurately ask, how long does it take)? What is the approximate cost per person?
Do they have snorket/fin rental there?
Is it better to do it on your own or do the sail/snorket with Patouche (which sounds great also, but is $100 pp)?
Thanks for any help from those of you who have been.
Ciao,
Eliin

Archived