Oosterdam repair saga continues

DAllenTCY

Docked on time. There was no further update on the AC, but personally I don't believe it has been fixed - hard to tell at 65 degrees in San Diego, but the air in my cabin still felt very damp. Would be interested to hear further responses from the 12/16 cruise as they head south.

KeS

My wife and I booked the March 3rd sailing of the Oosterdam back in mid-November. This will be our 3rd Vista class cruise with HAL, the others being western and eastern Caribbean on the Zuiderdam and Westerdam. So far, we have been more than satisfied with HAL accommodations and crews.

We just received an abbreviated itinerary for our March 2007 cruise in today's mail. You'd think they would find a way to get the azipod issue resolved since it has obviously been a continuing saga for at least a couple months. We were offered a $25 per passenger shipboard credit because of the shortened port times. At roughly $45,000 per sailing in credits this must be turning into a bit of an expense for the company. Even so, is there a consensus as to whether it is fair compensation for the passengers?

We booked the March 3rd sailing of the Oosterdam back in mid-November. This will be our 3rd Vista class cruise with HAL, the others being western and eastern Caribbean on the Zuiderdam and Westerdam. So far, we have been more than satisfied with HAL accommodations and crews.

We received an abbreviated itinerary for our March 2007 cruise in today's mail. You'd think they would find a way to get the azipod issue resolved since it has obviously been a continuing saga for at least a couple months. We were offered a $25 per passenger shipboard credit because of the shortened port times. At roughly $45,000 per sailing in credits this must be turning into a bit of an expense for the company. Even so, is there a consensus as to whether it is fair compensation for the passengers?

Well, my first thought is, that is great that HAL is now being proactive in letting people know of the shortened port times prior to getting on the ship. This is the first I have heard about this, and it has been going on for months. Better than a letter on the bed when you arrive on board.

We sailed 11/26 and received the same $25/pp and felt that it was fair compensation. We did not miss any ports, but only had a half day in Cabo and a shortened stay in PV. Fortunately we had air conditioning during this cruise. Without the air, I would probably be writing a letter! :rolleyes:

We booked the March 3rd sailing of the Oosterdam back in mid-November. This will be our 3rd Vista class cruise with HAL, the others being western and eastern Caribbean on the Zuiderdam and Westerdam. So far, we have been more than satisfied with HAL accommodations and crews.

We received an abbreviated itinerary for our March 2007 cruise in today's mail. You'd think they would find a way to get the azipod issue resolved since it has obviously been a continuing saga for at least a couple months. We were offered a $25 per passenger shipboard credit because of the shortened port times. At roughly $45,000 per sailing in credits this must be turning into a bit of an expense for the company. Even so, is there a consensus as to whether it is fair compensation for the passengers?

I thinks it is fair for the very reason you mentioned.....roughly $45,000 per sailing.

Its official now that the ship will go into drydock for a new azipod in April in Victoria. This makes the most financial sense since it needs to go up there for its Alaska season right after that. Also they are scurrying to get one of the Eurodams azipods ready to intall on the Oosterdam...probably wouldn't be ready before April at any rate.

Hmmm...we leave on Oosterdam in Feb and we've not recieved any letter about shortened ports and the $25 on-board credit. (So I guess that letters aren't going out to everyone. ) I do think it's a good that HAL is sending notification out to future cruisers.

Has ANYONE heard anything about the AC on board?

was wondering the same thing as well. I don't mind spending less time in each port but not if that means spending more time on a ship that's uncomfortably warm!

Hmmm...we leave on Oosterdam in Feb and we've not recieved any letter about shortened ports and the $25 on-board credit. (So I guess that letters aren't going out to everyone. ) I do think it's a good that HAL is sending notification out to future cruisers.

Bruce Muzz posted last week that the AC is fixed and that, as a matter of fact, folks were complaining again that it was too cold in some area's/spaces of Oosterdam:rolleyes:

fixed or not fixed passengers seem to overlook a temperature difference of at least 20 degrees between San Diego and Puerta Vallarta. what may seem uncomfortably warm in PV will feel cooler and downright chilly as one heads back north to San DIego. so the fact that they feel cool or cold later on does not necessarily mean that the problem has been fixed. it means that the cabin temperature is being modified by the outside air.

as long as the ship has the unfixed pod problem, the engineers are probably pushing as much power as they can to maintain speed to the detriment of the a/c just an educated guess on my part though:)

Port Times Monday Cabo 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM Cloudy 72 F , Tuesday Mazatlan 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM cloudy with some rain ,Puerto Vallarta 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM clear skies 90 F. Each person gets a 25 dollar ship credit. In my cabin I turned on more heat, we did not need air conditioning ,but it worked if you needed it. Dec. 18 , 2006 Health Notice, Since this morning, we have seen an increase in the number of gastrointestinal illness cases on the ms Oosterdam. As a result, we have taken immediate steps to address the situation. I did not get sick ,had a great cruise !!!

Port Times Monday Cabo 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM Cloudy 72 F , Tuesday Mazatlan 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM cloudy with some rain ,Puerto Vallarta 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM clear skies 90 F. Each person gets a 25 dollar ship credit. In my cabin I turned on more heat, we did not need air conditioning ,but it worked if you needed it. Dec. 18 , 2006 Health Notice, Since this morning, we have seen an increase in the number of gastrointestinal illness cases on the ms Oosterdam. As a result, we have taken immediate steps to address the situation. I did not get sick ,had a great cruise !!!

Welcome Home, I am so glad you had a great time on the Oosterdam (as always:) ) Now you are one up on me for the number of times on the Big "O" I will not be able to catch up till March:D But do you have plan to sails her again next year? We will be returning in December the same week you just did Dec. 15th 2007 so that will make #5 for us.

For the Christmas and New Year's cruises, I believe the Oosterdam has reversed the order of the ports.....PV, Mazatlan, Cabo. This may affect port times. The reason for this switch is to be at sea for Christmas Eve and Day, and New Year's Eve and Day.

David

For the Christmas and New Year's cruises, I believe the Oosterdam has reversed the order of the ports.....PV, Mazatlan, Cabo. This may affect port times. The reason for this switch is to be at sea for Christmas Eve and Day, and New Year's Eve and Day.

David

You are 100% correct!:)

I love the 2 sea days at the start of the cruise. Unwind time!!

I have to admit that I prefer it at the end. When I board the ship I am already in a go-go mode, I have one sea day to relax just a bit, then 3 ports (based on doing the regular Oosterdam itinerary) then I have 2 wondefully relaxing Sea Days. I look at it as saving the Best to last.;) When we recently did the 10 day on the Zaandam we had the 2 sea days up front then 6 ports ( 1 too many in my opinion) then only 1 sea day. When we got off the ship I felt robbed:( I really wanted at least one more day to relax before having to head back to work.

I have to admit that I prefer it at the end. When I board the ship I am already in a go-go mode, I have one sea day to relax just a bit, then 3 ports (based on doing the regular Oosterdam itinerary) then I have 2 wondefully relaxing Sea Days. I look at it as saving the Best to last.;) When we recently did the 10 day on the Zaandam we had the 2 sea days up front then 6 ports ( 1 too many in my opinion) then only 1 sea day. When we got off the ship I felt robbed:( I really wanted at least one more day to relax before having to head back to work.

I agree Lisa....I love the relaxation of the last two days.....its comforting to think that after all the ports I still have 2 days to enjoy.:)

No real preference here however the best ratio without a doubt was on Prinsendam last August with a port day, a sea day, a port day, a sea day and so on - Awesome!

Archived