Volendam and St. Thomas-Lately

SHayesShip

Thanks for letting me know. Since I posted my question it appears that the St Thomas port website is showing the Volendam to be at Havensight on 12/10/06 (Our cruise.) The Crown Princess will be at Crown Bay that day. Yahoo!

However, on the next cruise on 12/20/06 the Volendam is showing at Crown Bay.

Volendam Oct 24 departure ,docked in St Thomas at Crown Bay,( none of the shops there were opened yet.)

On the 10/14 sailing we docked at Havensight. To my thinking, there were very few bargains at the shops there (but I wasn't looking at jewelry, which was what most people seem interested in). But there were a large number of shops with all manner of goods, from very inexpensive souvenirs, all the way up. My shopping on St. Thomas was limited to those shops, and I realize I missed the "better" shopping in town.

A note for you all -- traffic was insane by 1:00 pm, and I heard that it took an hour for a taxi ride to or from town -- so plan that into your shopping time. One of the most memorable moments of the trip was the sail away party, looking down at the dock below us, hearing police sirens, watching them pull up to the dock and a young man (must have been young from how hard he ran!), running, running, full speed, down the dock, trying to catch his ship, docked 1/4 mile down the dock. He made it, with seconds to spare -- but this was accompanied by an announcement paging a woman passenger on the Volendam, inquiring as to whether she's made it back on board. (We sailed a few minutes later, so I assume she made it :-)

I had booked a snuba trip at Coki Bay (very, very fun -- www.visnuba.com if you're interested) so shopping wasn't high on my list on St. Thomas, but if it is for you, please plan your time to consider the high volume of traffic returning to the dock around 3:30-4:30pm. (There were three ships in that day-- might be better with less ships.)

Well, there's my two cents worth. Happy cruising!:)

Archived