Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brenda33

Nov. 4th Dawn Review

Embarkation was very easy. Arrived at the port around 10:30 and were able to hand luggage over and go right in. Got in a short line, got my key cards and had a seat til a little after 12 when we were let on ship. It was pleasant and comfortable. No complaints at all. I think the trick is to get there early because I did see many long lines after I was seated. When we got on the ship we had to wait til 2 for our room to be ready. We headed to the Venetian for lunch where first food impression was not so great....was served a soggy club sandwich. Apparently they must make the sandwiches in advance and let them sit. Bread was wet and lettuce looked as if it was a week old. Didn't complain....no biggie....I honestly just went on this cruise to relax. It was freezing out!!! We found a great place on the 13th deck to watch as we went by the Statue of Liberty. There are some vents where warm air comes out and a plastic window blocking the wind. It was a great find!!! Saved us from freezing.....

Weather wasn't so great first few days.......but again.....oh well. I sat of my lounge chair in the rain with my frozey drink....I was determined to enjoy the time and I did. Hot tubs passed the time during bad weather too. My husband and I were celebrating our Anniversary so we attended the cake and champagne party during the first at sea day. That was a nice time. They took a photo of us by the cake too...this was included in the Romance Package that I purchased for $79. Regarding the package, everything was great except the canapes that were delivered to the room mid trip. They were completely inedible. I love shrimp and I took one bite and literally gagged. I can't believe they served us this plate of slop. Speaking of slop.........this brings me to my food commentary. I cannot believe the poor quality of the food. Yes, there were a few things here and there that were edible, but nothing was good in the main dining rooms. Most things were actually disgusting. Everything was ice cold. I actually had to ask if I could have hot soup. It was so cold that the oils on the top were starting to turn to solids!! The service in Impressions was too efficient and bordered on rude. My husband set his fork down for a second to sip water and the waitress was running to clear his plate. She stopped mid route and turned back. She stared us down the entire time. The second we put our fork down she was there swiping plates and serving us next course. We were in and out of there in record time (30-40 minutes tops for all courses)......not what I would call a relaxing dining experience. I found the best food temperature and service to be in the Aqua...... but only on the left side of the restaurant......weird...... Safest foods to eat are steak....except Beef Wellington....gag. Fresh eggs cooked at buffet are safe and burgers in Bimini are also a safe choice. Ice cream at Sprinkles is soft and drippy....even in cool weather. Best food I had was at LeBistro. Although I would not say 5 star, it was good. Only thing I didn't like about Impressions was the waiter asking for a tip at the end. "Ask and you shall NOT receive!" He was extremely rude. We also ate is Salsas....plain, but not too bad. In general the food is my biggest complaint.......but I did not let it bother me. I thoroughly enjoyed my time on the ship.

I stayed in an inside cabin on Deck 9. We pushed the beds together to make room for luggage and found a bunch of garbage under the beds.....YUK!!.... I was trying to make the best of the trip, so my husband cleaned it up and I didn't complain. The room steward was efficient. He had my room cleaned immediately every time I left it. I left a post it note on mirror asking for extra towels and always received them.

In Nassau I went to the Wyndham at Cable Beach. $1 per person by Jitney to get there and the rest of the day is free unless you buy drinks or food. We used the twisty slide leading into the pool over and over. It was great fun!!!

In Freeport we went to Our Lucaya Resorts on the Beach. They did charge $10 per person to use a lounge chair and a towel for the day. We were not supposed to use pool......but yes, I did and noone said anything. The water is very clear there and a few big fish swam past my husband.....I have a fear of fish (yeah yeah, I know)......so I stayed on edge.

We were unable to tender to private island due to swells but arrived in Nassau earlier that day instead of in the evening.....so that was a nice time to get my shopping done.

In general, I made the best of my time there....had a ton of fun. Would I ever cruise NCL again?....NO!!! Since food is included in the price of your fare I would expect it to be decent and it wasn't. Yes, I understand they have pay restaurants that are better, but I shouldn't have to pay for a decent meal. I cruised Carnival last year and the food was outstanding.

Any questions....feel free to ask. :)

That's a shame about the food and missing the private island. I'm going on the Dawn this Sunday and was looking forward to both.