Some advice....

golfer1966

My DW and I will be in Aruba in Mid December and we enjoy snorkeling. Is it best to go ourselves or take a tour? We have our won gear. If so which one do you recommend? We were also thinking about renting scooters and checking out the island. Is this a good idea?

Hi Keith-

My dh and I have visited the island on land vacations 13+ times. I do not advise renting a scooter. The roads, pot holes specifically, are bad and drivers worse than bad.

For Snorkeling info try these two threads below which were here but were moved over to the Scuba and Snorkeling forum.

Info & Ideas for Snorkeling in Aruba

Touring on our Own + Snorkling

If you have any other questions, just ask.

for snorkeling huh? I will check the ship to see what recommended snorkel excursions they have too. No scooter huh..? Darn, we were hoping to tool around the island and see it all before we did an excursion. I checked out someof your links and there seems to be some real small very quaint beaches here. Any that you can recommend to be not alone, but not many people at.

Thanks for your help Lisa....

Most of the snorkel excursions go to the Antilla, but IMHO, after snorkeling there AND THEN diving the wreck a number of times, there really is NO comparison. You are much better off spending your limited amount of time snorkeling off the beach where you will be able to see more- quality and quantity!

If you would like to snorkel from the beach and then end your day with some relaxing time on the beach there are a couple of options. Off the top of my head:

Rent a Car

1. snorkel Malmok and/or Arashi

2. stop by the California Lighthouse, you will be right there anyway

3. continue across to the other side of the island to the "former natural bridge" and continue on to the Alto Vista Chapel (as far as sightseeing must IMHO)

4. finish there and turn around and go back the way you came and drive back around the island in the opposite direction

option 1

stop at Eagle Beach for beachtime after first stopping at the Supermarket to pickup some picnic items

option 2

continue past Eagle Beach and back through Oranjestad where the ship is docked and drive to the other end of the island

stop at Baby Beach- relax and or snorkel

option 3-

Drive around to the other side of the island, Arikok National Park, to either Boca Prins or Dos Playa. This is the windy, desert, desolate, side of the island. DP and BP are 2 pristine beaches which although not totally isolated, only receive a few tourists passing through. NO swimming OR snorkeling here. The water is too rough. Just a beach for quiet and relaxation.

Skip the car rental and just...

Take a snorkel excursion- Mi Dushi, Jolly Pirates, Tranquilo or Octopus

Archived