First Time Cruiser with Questions

wedding96

Will be on the Westerdam for a 1 week cruise leaving Dec 10 from FL to Eastern Carribean. The travel agent says boarding is at 12:30, yet I've read posts indicating that you can get on the ship much earlier (but not necessarily into your cabin). I want to try and board as early as possible so I can secure spa appointments at desired times for the week.

I am interested in hearing from those who were on the Navigation Deck under the Lido deck. I've read that these cabins can hear loungers above being dragged around during day and night hours. Our cabins will be on that deck and I'm concerned.

If the cabin has a queen bed, does that mean it's two small twins pushed together. I'm used to a King bed and might want to sleep in my own twin since I might feel a little cramped (I'm 6"6).

Any feedback would be helpful!

Usually, boarding starts in most ports between 11 and 11:30 am. Your cabin won't be ready until about 1:30 or so, but lunch is served at noon.

On our Zuiderdam cruise, we arrived at the pier at 11am just as checkin was begining, and were one of the first onboard at 11:30-ish.

we are usually at the port when the doors open and they have usually opened between 11 and 11:30. We're usually in the Lido well before noon, having lunch and waiting for the cabins to be ready.

We were in 8025 on the Zuiderdam (under the spa) and it was fine. We then were in 8059 on the Westerdam, under the pool area, and we did experience noise. We were awakened each morning to the sounds of chairs being dragged above us and it went on pretty much until dinner time. Was it annnoyingly loud? No. But, if you're a light sleeper and under the pool area I might suggest ear plugs for sleeping. Others who are heavy sleepers say that they have not heard it.

The beds, to us, are quite large. They seem larger than our queen-sized bed at home.

Yes you can start boarding the ship around 11:15 or so -- all depends on if the ship has been cleared.

The Lido opens at 11:30 for lunch -- at least it has on all the different ships that we have been on. Listen for the announcement over the PA system as to when the cabins are ready. Sometimes they have been ready by 1 - 1:15. You can tour around the ship if you get tired of waiting in the Lido.

The queen size bed is made up from 2 smaller than regulation size twin beds -- not that nuch smaller -- but there is a difference.

Hi there wedding96!

Looks like everyone has answered your question, but I wanted to let you know that we have a "roll-call" going on for the December 10th cruise and have set up a Meet n' Greet of CC members on December 11th at 11AM in the Crows Nest.

You can checkout the Roll Call thread here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=299396

And please join us for the Meet n' Greet if you like - we'd love to meet you :)

If the cabin has a queen bed, does that mean it's two small twins pushed together. I'm used to a King bed and might want to sleep in my own twin since I might feel a little cramped (I'm 6"6).
The 'Queen' bed is the 2 singles pushed together. DH is also 6'6" and we're used to a King too. He didn't complain at all of feeling 'cramped' when we were on the Zaandam for 15 nights recently. I (5'4") didn't feel at all cramped either - and I'm usually the one who does, as he just sleeps on the diagonal if the bed is smaller than what he needs. :rolleyes: If you have problems with the bed arranged as a Queen, just let your steward know and he'll change it to the 2 singles setup.

Archived