Questions about the Transderm-sc patch

KLMB

I just purchased some transderm patches and was reading the info that came with it. I was hoping to avoid getting drowsy with these and I do want to drink wine and foo-foos while on the boat. Does anyone know how these affect you? The bonnaine (?)and dramadrine(?) put me to sleep instantly. I also have the motion sickness band from Sharper Image, but I still get woosy on board. Thanks for any help!!!

I take a bag with everything- Bonine, patches, bands, etc.because I once ended up in the ship's infirmary from rough seas. I just got off of the Sovereign and had no seasickness whatsoever despite rough seas- no patch used- just sea bands and GINGER. I start taking ginger (available in a natural form) a few days before the cruise and took it the whole cruise. Worked great. I keep the patch for a dire situation but have not needed it! Try ginger.

I have used these for several years and never had a drowsiness problem. I have learned a few tricks with them though. After several days of wearing they can cause your eyes to dilate. I now take the patch off when going to bed before a day when we will be in port. When I get back to the boat and shower for dinner I put a new one on and am ready for the boat to get going. I also am very fond of my toddies and have never had a problem there either. I suffer extreme motion sickness, bonine and stuff like that just aren't enough for me. Another benefit is nasea relief if you happen to experience that wonderful norovirus!! Last new years we were on the zuiderdam and myself, wife and son all came down with the vile sickness. I hardly threw up compared to the violent episodes my family experienced. I just picked up my new scrip for our New Year's cruise on the Jewel. Can't wait!!!

I have used the TD patch on the last two cruises, one five nights and one seven. I wore the patch the entire time and honestly until they mentioned it was supposed to make you drowsy, I had no idea. I was fine the entire time without so much as a problem. I am about to embark on and eleven night cruise and have the patch ready to go.

We've used them for years, except for a period of 2 years or so when they were taken off the market. They do give me a dry, cottony feeling mouth but also have made me feel comfortable on rough seas. We usually take them off after a couple of days if the seas are calm. Neither of us are heavy drinkers but having a drink or a glass of wine never affected us.

I have used the patch for years. I start every cruise with a patch. Fortunately, they don't make me drowsy. I do have a problem with vision---need longer arms to read the menu by about the 3rd day. Also, from day 1, I have a very dry mouth. I need to drink water all day. I do have wine or scotch/soda with them and haven't ever had a problem.

If the seas are calm, I usually take them off at the 2nd day, but if they are rough, I use them all the time. One cruise I couldn't understand why I was feeling so sick. I had to stay in bed all day and I was using the patch. That was weird for me. I realized later that night, that evidently when I took a shower I washed the patch off, so I had none on and that was why I felt so bad.

I think they have a lot of advantages, but I really try not to use them the whole cruise if possible. Good luck with them.

Katie

DD gets seasick big time! Used the patch on our recent trip and she did great (and we were outrunning a tropical storm down the Chesapeake - talk about rough!). One adjustment we did make was to cut the patch in half and replace it every other day (she is very very petite and a whole patch just blew her away!). Also, switch up the ear you put it behind - it can iritate skin just a bit! No vision problems - however @ day 8 of our cruise, she got just a bit sick, so took patch off for a few hours and then put on new one and all was good. Enjoy:D

DD gets seasick big time! Used the patch on our recent trip and she did great (and we were outrunning a tropical storm down the Chesapeake - talk about rough!). One adjustment we did make was to cut the patch in half and replace it every other day (she is very very petite and a whole patch just blew her away!). Also, switch up the ear you put it behind - it can iritate skin just a bit! No vision problems - however @ day 8 of our cruise, she got just a bit sick, so took patch off for a few hours and then put on new one and all was good. Enjoy:D

Ditto! Cutting in half has helped my friends.

Last cruise I was on I used them. Did not get drowsy just very thirsty. It was like I was eating sand, couldn't quench my thirst. I finally realized that it was the patch and discontinued them, and I was fine. I am going to buy ginger before this upcoming cruise. MythBusters did a segment on it and it was most effective. Anything to get rid of the thirst from the patch.

Four of us used the patch. I was a little thirstier than usual, not too bad at all. None of my friends had side effects. Both my doctor and my pharmacist said that it's okay to drink alcohol while using the patch. My pharmacist said that it made her beer taste metallic, so she had to stick to margaritas.

I've always had bad sea sickness so I've used them for five years and never had a problem. Last year I was 4 months pregnant when we cruised so I had to go cold Turkey. But I didn't get sick at all then. I'm going on the Celebration next week and am planning not to use them then either, maybe the sea sickness is gone. If not I've got bonine!

I have worn the patch on our last 2 cruises. Like you, bonine/meclazine make me SUPER sleepy - for days at a time. The patch has been just wonderful for me.

I like to have a few drinks each evening on the cruise, and do not find that the patch makes me markedly drowsy. I do not get dry mouth, except for about the first day or so, and don't have any problems with my eyes. All of that said, I am able to sleep very easily with the patch. It doesn't make me sleepy, but it does seem to make me generally pretty relaxed.

My doctor indicated that it is dangerous to cut the patches. The medication within the patch can really do a number on your eyes if you happen to rub your eyes after handling the patch. Also, after trial and error, I have discovered that it is best to leave the patch ON for about 4 days after the cruise ends. When you rip the patch off your skin immediately after you get on land, you cut the medication quite suddenly, which can cause some side effects. Now that I leave the patch on for a few days, I have none of the feelings of motion after the cruise is over.

Hope it works well for you. I also carry ginger tablets and candies as a backup measure, but I believe that those with heart conditions aren't supposed to use ginger.

I've tried the pills, ginger, and the wrist bands and they just don't work for me. I get so sea sick that I think I'm going to die and afraid I won't! I drink with the it and never had a problem, though I'm not a big drinker. A little thirstier than normal, but that's OK, I just drink more. :) I do get some vision problems, but I can always get my cruising companion to read for me if necessary.

Archived