• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Volendam in Alaska

cj013

CJ:

I'm bumping this thread up for you, so that others may see it. Ruth C cruised on Volendam this past summer to Alaska; hopefully she will see this thread and participate. My family and I took Volendam's sister ship, Zaandam, up to Alaska in August. What precisely would you like to know?

I can tell you that both Volendam and Zaandam belong to the "R" class ships of the Holland America fleet, along with Amsterdam and Rotterdam. Volendam was launched in 1999, and has received the recent "Signature of Excellence" upgrades. In my humble and ignorant opinion (ignorant because of my cruising inexperience), the "R" class ships are the best of the HAL fleet in terms of size, layout, decor, and design. I have done the research, and the "R" ships are my first choice. Hopefully, others will chime in here, and give you their viewpoints.

Karin

:confused: I heard my name drop. What would you like to know about?

I'm perfectly happy on the R-class ships, but prefer the S-class (a bit smaller). Both are of an excellent size to provide little spots to curl up by yourself, or have selections of entertainment venues. They also are small enough to get closer to the scenery than the mega-ships.

The staff is beyond competent, decor is lovely. I liked the "theme" of flowers and enjoyed finding the theme expressed in art as well as the usual fresh floral bouquets.

I particularly like all the outdoor deck space on the Alaska itinerary. It's so easy to find "my spot" and enjoy the view and fresh air for hour after hour. On this size ship, too, it's so easy to get to another favorite viewing area in what seems like seconds.

What else would you like to know about?

:) You are booked on a beautiful ship. I can honestly say all of the HAL ships I have sailed on have been wonderful, but the Volendam is at the top of my list right now. Okay, that might be because it was the last one I was on.

Be sure to notice the tiny lights in the ceiling of the dining room. If you are there for dinner beginning at 8:30, as I was, the little lights are dreamy.

I think you'll enjoy the show lounge too. I noticed the seat backs were just a bit higher, a fact I really appreciated. The colors in the lounge were pleasing too.

Of course, the crew made the difference. They were amazingly gracious and skilled.

Going on the Volendam in Alaska in August, would like to hear about this ship from anyone who has been on her.

Was on the Volendam to Alaska in September and felt this was the best cruise yet (of 7). Service is excellent, culinary arts center fun, food good to outstanding, cabin comfortable and well laid out. Can't say anything about the entertainment aboard but the Park Service rangers and native interpreters really added to the experience when we visited Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay. And of course, the scenery was the star of the trip - spectacular! Hope this helps.

Archived