Australia/new Zealand Weather

bandit0000

Hi,

I am looking at booking the Sapphire Princess in March to Australia & New zealand.

I wondered if anyone who had been there in March could tell me what to expect weather wise please. Also if the seas are very rough.

I think Aus will be warm but not sure about NZ.

I would appreciate any help.

Many thanks,

Lisa

Hi Lisa

We sailed Sapphire Jan 2005 Auk to Sydney and are doing reverse Feb 2007.

I hope you are talking about March 2008 as I understand that all Sapphire sailings Aust/NZ in 2007 have been sold out for some time.

March in this part of the world is first month of autumn...so the weather can be a bit changeable. Nevertheless Aust conditions should be ok and certainly most of the humidity will have gone.

The seas can however be anything. Last year in January we had some reasonable swells during the Tasman crossing and MDW suffered a bit (although I suspect the alcohol intake whilst we were in Milford Sound might have contributed).

The Sapphire however takes it all in her strides - magnificent vessel.

In December a few years ago the Sydney to Hobart yacht race was severely hammered by storms and high seas. There was some loss of life and a number of sail craft were lost.... so there is no telling when is best, although I suspect that March might be a good call.

You will love Sapphire

cheers

Hi Lisa

We sailed Sapphire Jan 2005 Auk to Sydney and are doing reverse Feb 2007.

I hope you are talking about March 2008 as I understand that all Sapphire sailings Aust/NZ in 2007 have been sold out for some time.

March in this part of the world is first month of autumn...so the weather can be a bit changeable. Nevertheless Aust conditions should be ok and certainly most of the humidity will have gone.

The seas can however be anything. Last year in January we had some reasonable swells during the Tasman crossing and MDW suffered a bit (although I suspect the alcohol intake whilst we were in Milford Sound might have contributed).

The Sapphire however takes it all in her strides - magnificent vessel.

In December a few years ago the Sydney to Hobart yacht race was severely hammered by storms and high seas. There was some loss of life and a number of sail craft were lost.... so there is no telling when is best, although I suspect that March might be a good call.

You will love Sapphire

cheers

How is the weather in mid January?

The weather in January in Sydney is HOT! It is the middle of our summer and temeratures over 35 C degress can happen at that time of year.

March is much cooler as it is the beginning of autumn. Wonderful time of year.

Whenever you visit hope you enjoy Australia.:)

and the weather in nz is not as hot as OZ ...more mild., probably jan early 20s, feb march more mid 20s. High Humidity is something we normally leave to our "cross the puddle" cousins! but hey with global warming anythng is possible these days. The crossing that time of the year NZ to Australia can be a little rough....but that can be half the fun...enjoy!

I sailed on the Diamond in March of 2006 and found that when we were in Sydney a light jacket was all that was needed or no jacket at all, so pretty mild. The farther south that we got the colder it got. While we were in the fjordlands going in it was really windy and cold. I had to wear a heavier jacket but once we were in the fjords the wind stopped and I could just be in shirtsleeves. As far as crossing the Tasman Sea we had a calm crossing but that is a hit and miss.

As far as rain I don't remember any while we were on the cruise. But on our land portion of our trip we did have to deal with a cyclone up in Cairns.

I hope this info helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi...and I'm getting offers for March and April 2007.

The price is quite appealing so I'm interested in the 4-5-07 sailing. I heard that the ship is only at 50% capacity. I wonder why? Is it because it's not a good time of the year to travel to Australia?

Annie

April can be a lovely month in Australia. Usually we have lovely sunny days and cooler nights but I think that over in New Zealand, especially down south it will be getting quite cold.

Another reason could be that it is the week of Easter and most Aussies make the most of going to the beach for the last time before winter sets in. It is school holidays and a lot fly north for the warmer weather.

The ship could also have a lot of children onboard.

Jennie

Archived