Advice needed on Tahiti cruise

kumcee

This is my first post :) .

We have done two cruises so far and we have come to love cruising. My DH is eager to go on TP to Bora Bora, Rarotonga and other islands but I am unsure. I do not swim and cannot take up any of the water-tours. My DH thinks I should still be able to enjoy the cruise.

Is this cruise good for non-swimmers? Would I be the only one left on the TP's deck when it docks at various places ?

Since this is an expensive cruise for us, any input on this would be much appreciated. Thanks.

We have done two cruises so far and we have come to love cruising. My DH is eager to go on TP to Bora Bora, Rarotonga and other islands but I am unsure. I do not swim and cannot take up any of the water-tours. My DH thinks I should still be able to enjoy the cruise.

Is this cruise good for non-swimmers? Would I be the only one left on the TP's deck when it docks at various places ?

Since this is an expensive cruise for us, any input on this would be much appreciated. Thanks.

My husband and I are booked for this cruise for April 2008 and we're not big water sports people. I think there are lots of beautiful places to visit on this cruise and I won't be booking any water activities (other than lying on a beach and maybe wading in the ocean. Come along, you'll love it.

The one nice thing about Tahiti is,well, everything. The water is very warm and very shallow for a long distance. you can wander nearly a mile off shore and still be only up to your knees (in some cases). There are water excursions that cater to non swimmers, so you might want to check that out. Go along on a motu picnic, you can sit on the beach and watch.

Go ashore and wander through the lovely little towns or take a circle island tour and learn more about our Polynesian neighbors. There's so much Nature to see and it's breathtakingly beautiful.

Likewise, the TP is a wonderful ship and we found her very comfortable on sea days - there's the spa, the library, the pool. I hope you won't just limit yourself to the ship though. Get out and check out the islands.

Charlie

I agree. The water is shallow in many areas, and so clear too. If being a non-swimmer is your only reason for not liking the water, you may find yourself changing your mind on that once you are there. The clear blue Tahitian waters are sooo inviting! The scents of vanilla in the air, beautiful flowers, and incredible scenery are reason enough to go.

I can't think of a better reason to learn to swim than to be able to enjoy the Tahitian waters.....however....if you choose to stay aboard.....Thaiti can be enjoyed best from the decks of the ship.

I tell everyone that it is actually better to be on the ship.....rather than on one of the over the water bungalows.....the views from the ship can not be matched.....:) :) :)

I tell everyone that it is actually better to be on the ship.....rather than on one of the over the water bungalows.....the views from the ship can not be matched.....:) :) :)

I guess that depends on what you enjoy. They both have their good points. The view from the ship changes daily as you move from port to port. If you LOVE the views in Moorea or Bora Bora, then staying in an OWB allows you to enjoy it a weensie bit longer. And there is nothing like being that close to the water and seeing all the fish swimming around the corals, not to mention observing them from inside your bungalow! I vote for doing both and extend that time in Paradise!!:D

Hi Everyone,

Kumcee - great question, we are on the Pacific Princess next October with my parents(70 and 75 yrs old) and they will not enjoy water activities so I am searching for activities that they will enjoy.

Spikesgirl - great ideas, thank you...and if anyone has info on these specific tours please let me know.

JLC@SD - I noticed you have been on a Tahiti-Hawaii cruise which is what we are doing in October. Did you stop at Christmas Island? If so, what is it like? I can't seem to find any info on this web site about Christmas island.

Thanks everyone...love this web site,

Susan

Island 2004 - Panama Canal

Grand 2006 - Med

Pacific Oct 2007 - Tahiti/Hawaii

This was posted about Chrstmas Island on one of the roll calls!

Christmas Island

We've been to Christmas Island on the Golden Princess years ago. Don't expect beautiful beaches and tour buses. Think primative! You will either love it or not. But you can expect a very warm welcome from the natives. We have fond memories of our arrival there. Singing and dancing, etc. They were very happy to see us, and we were glad to set foot on land after being on the ship for so long. Anyone who lives there who has a car, pick-up truck, etc., will be there to offer a "tour" of the island. We took a (hair-raising) tour in the back of a pick-up truck to the other end of the island to see the "resort". Let's just say we won't be making reservations for that hotel in the near future. HA! Don't remember what time of year we were there, but it was very HOT.

If you have an open mind, you will enjoy this island.

kumcee,

You can experience the underwater beauty of FP via a "helmet dive" which only requires an ability to walk!! Princess offers this excursion in Bora Bora and Aqua Blue offers it in Moorea. You walk down a ladder and just before submerging, a helmet with air hose attached is placed on your shoulders which delivers air to you while you are submerged in about 15ft. of water. You are surrounded by beautiful fish and coral and are under the careful watch of a trained diver the whole time. My wife is a very poor swimmer at 59 years old and it was a no brainer for her.

Cheers

Andy

kumcee

we did your cruise in 05 and it was wonderful. while we are both swimmers, we took several excursions where swimming was not involved. there is lots to see and do and the scenery is breathtaking. we stayed in bora bora pre cruise and did do a lot of swimming there and it was great. in fact we had such a great time we are going back in june 07 this time staying in tahiti pre cruise. dont know where you live, we live in toronto canada, the flight is brutal (14 hours in the air) but well worth the time.

i cannot imagine anyone, swimmer/non-swimmer not enjoying that cruise.

HI. We just returned from this cruise. We both snorkle but also had 2 friends with us that are very timid about water and don't swim. They enjoyed many of the activities but there were times that I think they wished they were on the ship or just took the island tours that Princess offered. Our mistake was all 4 of us trying to do things together. It was very hard on them when we did Bruno's tour (which we liked!) at Raiatea and they ended up sitting in the boat by themselves for about 1 1/2 hours at the drift snorkle at the coral gardens. Other tours like Dr. Michael Poole's at Moorea were fine as none of us were in the water. You just need to choose your activities carefully.

Cheers,

Ciana:)

I guess that depends on what you enjoy. They both have their good points. The view from the ship changes daily as you move from port to port. If you LOVE the views in Moorea or Bora Bora, then staying in an OWB allows you to enjoy it a weensie bit longer. And there is nothing like being that close to the water and seeing all the fish swimming around the corals, not to mention observing them from inside your bungalow! I vote for doing both and extend that time in Paradise!!:D

.....agree..............both are great........but you need to be on the TP to see this in Moorea....:) .........(Paul Gauguin calls at the other bay).

DSC02514small.jpg.91cadeea915ecfbc466c3c4fdcb95c71.jpg

Archived