Bread pudding

clopaw

On the Zuiderdam last Aug it was served in the Lido at lunch. We never ate there in the evening nor in the dining room at lunchtime so I can't help you there.

It's served every day at lunch at the Lido buffet - near the dessert table.

They may serve it, if and when they have Royal Dutch Tea, but as I haven't partaken of the Tea in many years, don't know if it is served. Have never seen it served in the dining room.

On my first cruise (Statendam, 2001) I don't know if I simply walked by it or they just didn't have it, but I didn't have any bread pudding. Based on all the posts here at CC about bread pudding, I sought it out on my next cruise, and the rest is history. YUM!

Roz

It's a baked dessert, sort of like a casserole. The ingredients are egg custard, bread, and raisins, topped with cinnamon and nutmeg. HAL offers a warm vanilla sauce as a topping. You serve yourself.

Roz

The BP on the Volendam last month was available in the Lido at lunchtime. It was not served during the afternoon tea on our cruise, nor did I see it available in the main dining room during our Alaskan sailing. What a delicious treat...it becomes so addictive !

If I remember correctly the bread pudding is off to the side of the desserts in the Lido. It's in a metal pan, that's in a metal stand and has a lid. with the custard sauce in a container beside it. I don't care for HAL's bread pudding I think the sauce is to sweet. My husband will have some every day.

bread pudding...I am not giving the amounts.

soak some raisins in some whiskey or water.

beat some eggs and milk together...sugar to taste..butter some bread, cut off the crusts, cut the bread into triangles or cubes, soak the bread in the egg mixture. Add the drained raisins. (reserve the whiskey) Put in a buttered dish, sprinkle the top with cinnamon, put the dish in a water bath (bain marie) and bake.

Make a custard sauce and put the reserved whiskey into that. I use byrd's custard sauce.

This is the way my grandmother made it. It is NOT Hals receipts.

It is very easy to make and there are alot of variations.

Take care,

Pat.

In TN, we make the sauce to go over the bread pudding with a local product...none other than Jack Daniel's. Raisins soaked in a bit of Jack...yummy.

Roz

Pat. was your grandma from England by any chance? that is exactly how my mum made it!!

On our recent Zaandam cruise, they had printed copies of the recipe at the side of the serving table. Also, we had three different flavors of BP during the 21 days we were on board....regular, chocolate, and a citrus flavored one..all yummy......jean

Ps I always use Birds custard too!!

It would be nice if HAL's sauce was a little 'harder', but I can understand why they may not want to put alcohol in food when people may not be expecting it.

When I was trying to get my 'parental units' to try cruising, I talked up the bread pudding to my step-mom. Not knowing she does NOT like raisins, I brought her some during welcome aboard buffet. She was put off by the raisins and told my DF that he'd be expected to eat them. Not only did he not get any of her serving, she didn't leave any raisins in her bowl - or in any of many subsequent bowls she's had on her now 2 cruises.

Love it, BUt like they say in life eat dessert first...several days on the lido deck for lunch they ran out of bread pudding early SO I now go get mine first and put on our table to make sure. I was tired of being dissapointed, so I learned get it early. the sauce is great even if not warm.

My mother and most of my great aunts and my grandmother all made bread pudding when I was a kid and I never realized at the time that it was a delicacy. I thought it was just something we had a couple of times a week. I have often wondered how many of the foods I ate as a kid in south Georgia originated. Is bread pudding an English dish? Last year on the Pride I met a couple from Scotland and we got into a conversation about how similar the foods I ate as a kid were to what he ate in Scotland. Did anyone else out there eat bread pudding as a kid? Did you ever enjoy "liver" pudding?

:)

Bread Pudding - on some ships it is great. The sause is thick like it should be and on other ships it is very runny.

On the Vista class ships the bread pudding is not near the desserts. It is located in the second ice tea and water section tucked in a corner on the starboard side of the ship across from the salad bar.

One time on a repositioning cruise John Mulvany made a chocolate sauce - oh yes - to die for.

:)

jean....We are of Irish decent. But the food is basicly the same. In fact, my favorite cookbook is "British Cookery, edited by Lizzie Boyd." But I also have a few of Darina Allen.(Irish) I've had chocolate bread pudding, which was regular bread pudding with chunks of melted chocolate.(so good) Could you tell me about the citrus? What type of fruit? Was there a sauce?

dexter...We had bread pudding once a week, to use up the bread before it went bad.

Take care,

Pat.......Don't get me started talking about food, I'll talk your ear off.

There are probably almost as many ways to make bread pudding as there are cooks. Lately, it seems to be popular in higher end restaurants, usually with chocolate or bananas or both.

Thanks for the warning about running out. I'll start with dessert!

Yes, I ate bread pudding as a child. Like many Southern favorites, it was originally one of those use-it-up, make-do kinds of recipes. No tossing out the stale bread! I've never made it myself but will enjoy HAL's!

Yes, I ate bread pudding as a child! My grandmother made it all the time and it was awsome! She was born and raised in Spain, all four of my grandparents did, and she used to make it with raisins soaked in Spanish Jerez, lots of butter, whole milk, sugar, and of course, day or two old bread, and she used to make this sweet hard "burnt sugar like" coating which was really nice! Then, my mother would make the "Cuban version" by soaking the raisins in Dark Rum and adding some rum to the mix! WOW! That's how I make it today for my friends and coworkers and they just love it. Last February I got to try the HAL Bread Pudding aboard the Rotterdam Panama Canal Cruise, and it is really, really, good! I think the 4 pounds I gained on the 10 days are to be blamed on my daily addiction to it after lunch! Since then I make a vainilla-rum sauce to serve with my "Cuban version" and its totally awsome! I just can't wait for my next HAL cruise on the Z next Thanksgiving Week!

AlinaMaria RN

Guest Anorak33

Here in Southern England we call the HAL version "Bread and Butter Pudding".

Our "Bread Pudding" is darker, heavie, drier and has spices in it but no butter or egg.

Two very different dishes as you can put bread pudding in a packed lunch but of course you can't do that with the other one.

Agree totally Anorak, (why did I know you were English!!!...the screen name!)

We also called it bread and butter pudding, and the heavier version that you can slice, we called London bread pudding...oohh I love that!!.....njean

Now I remember my mom making "biscuit" pudding out of two or three day old home made biscuits. Usually she made it from plain white bread but when she made it from those biscuits the taste would make you "slap your granny"!

Man...I think I'll call my mom and get the recipe.

Archived