Roll Call Westerdam Aug 9,2007

RMS Olympic

DenvCruiser, thanks for the tip. We're planning on staying until the 20th as well, and that looks like the perfect way of doing it. We got stuck in Paris (yes, really) last year, and booked into the Sheraton at CDG. It was effortless to get into the city and we were able to check in at the gate before checking out of the hotel. SImply perfect!

I am excited to get this out of the way. We booked USAir out of Philadelphia at 6pm on 8/7 and arrive in Roma at 8:40 am on 8/8. We return on Monday 8/20-depart 11:15 am and arrive 2:55pm. Price was outrageous because somebody was overly concerned about his large body being comfortable for the long flight and had to fly first class. I wouldn't normally have let him be so extravagant, but we had lots of Chase Reward points that we cashed in to bring our out-of-pocket cost for both round trip tickets to less than the price of one coach class ticket.

Next, the hotel. I've been checking out the Ports-of-Call Boards to determine if we should stay in Rome or Civitavecchia before the cruise and if shuttles are available to the Cruise Ports. We'll definately stay in Rome on 8/19. Does anybody think RSVP will block space at nearby hotels like they do in Fort Lauderdale.

If you guys have any extra points please send them our way!! haha

If anyone can help or has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it. We would love to go business or first!!

I have about 72,000 AMEX membership points and 35 or 36k US Airways miles. But I can't transfer AMEX points to US Airways and vice versa. :mad:

There has to be a way to get at least one free ticket!

Berliner's,

They usually don't post that information until about a month before the cruise, when they announce the scedule of parties and such. In the past, the DJs used for the Caribbean have been used for Mexico, but I don't know about whether the same is true for a European cruise. Figure though, that they will probably use at least one of the DJs listed for the Caribbean cruise, as they tend to be the same people very year.

Well, we still haven't booked out seats because the fares are still so high. I look every day. I have a feeling something willbreak in early March, just as people get serious about planning summer vacations.

DH has tons of Amex points....wish I could get him to foot Business class seats, or an upgrade...

As far as hotel in Rome, why not call RSVP and ask them if they have any plans to do so? Of course, I don't know I'd trust it, given the hotels the picked for the pre-Caribbean cruise (out of the way and pricey), but it might be worth a shot.

We haven't made our flight arrangements yet. I think we have the dates set; leaving on August 4th or 5th and see if we can get a flight back to Nashville on the 19th. The question is: does HAL run their ships the same even when its a charter? If so, then I know we can make the afternoon flight.

Ah, that's better...for some reason I could not update to see Albiewriter's question. Anyway, the on two RSVP cruises I have been on, both were on HAL, and both did disembarkation per the usual HAL method, where they take into account when your flight is and such. Just remember that the port is quite a distance from the airport...at least an hour away I think.

Just got home from the Caribbean Cruise on the Caribbean Princess.....What a great trip!!!!!!!

I met a number of people going on the Italy trip.......and they are all great guys.

Christopher...you dissappeared after Wed......hope you were OK....maybe occupied?

If the Italian cruise is like the caribbean...we are all in for a fantastic experience.

The end of this month I intend to drop a line to the gay restaurant in Rome for a Tuesday night dinner....and will hopefully have some idea as to who will want to be included by then.

Westerdam.....here we come.

before I forget...Next feb (2008) RSVP is using the HAL Zuiderdam...7 day cruise to Belize. I am booked!....Burn the credit card already.

Tom

PS...diet for August starts tomorrow.

RSM Olympic: We are all about the Tuesday night dinner in Roma! Now I understand we have yet another Michigander booking this cruise.

DenvCruiser: Yes, we are already booked at the Hilton Airport post cruise. Appears others posting here are also staying near the airport that night. Can we all say "Anti-climactic?"

Also, can anyone here advise about how many formal nights to expect aboard HAL and the theme parties we might expect to find aboard an RSVP cruise? We've done Atlantis with the requisite White Party, Mardi-Gras and Disco tea dances. Can we look forward to something different aboard RSVP?

Enquiring minds want to know; we want to start sewing our costumes NOW!

Ben T: I've never done a ten day RSVP. On the seven day, they had one formal night. It's possible they may have two, since that I think is standard with Holland America.

As far as parties, I would look at the parties they have held on Alaska and caribbean cruises in the past year to get an idea. Although, somehow I just know they are going to do a toga party. All of us dressed in Holland America sheets, what fun!

Well Mike & Gary, you just experienced your first gay cruise after many regular cruises. So what did you think and how does it compare to a regular cruise (I've never been on a regular cruise). Looking forward to meeting you guys in August!!

Glenn & Mike

Well Mike & Gary, you just experienced your first gay cruise after many regular cruises. So what did you think and how does it compare to a regular cruise (I've never been on a regular cruise). Looking forward to meeting you guys in August!!

Glenn & Mike

Glenn and Mike-

We LOVED it!! It was the most fantastic week!!! We will most likely NEVER do a regular cruise again (exception if it was with family or a mixed crowd of people).

We are looking forward to you guys as well!

We can't wait!!!

:cool: The Princess Caribbean was GREAT!!

Looking forward to the Med Cruise--I am ready to GO!! Traveling alone and looking forward to meeting some great men.

Anyone else going on the Med cruise from Fort Lauderdale?

Any suggestions for a Hotel in Rome that other cruisers will be staying at?

Tom--Great meeting you on the Carib cruise and the dinner on tuesday Aug 7th in Roma sounds great!

I plan to stay in Rome after the cruise till Aug 24th--anyone else planning a similiar itinerary?

Anyone flying out of Lauderdale?:D

Mark

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I am booking the Hotel Rex through the travel agency I booked the cruise through. They will be on the cruise as well.

I am so ready for this cruise..and it is getting me through the post cruise blues knowing something is planned about 5 months out.

Now to lose weight so I can eat all that Italian food without guilt!

I want to experience Pizza in Rome.......I am soooo bad......

Seeing all of you will be great! Old home week!!!!!!!!!!

Tom

I just sent an e-mail to the gay owned and operated Rome restaurant Asinocotto.

I indicated that there would be a number of gay cruisers in Rome precruise and the desire to dine at the restauarnt on Tuesday 7 August. I stated I would provide a number or participants later down the line for planning purposes, but figure there should be at least 14 in the group.

I will pass on the response I get, but wanted to let hem know that in August they will be visitied by a group of gay cruisers for a great evening at Ristorante Asinocotto.

I have read the reviews on the food, and all sounds great. I am hoping that maybe the locals will join in to meet and greet the gay and lesbian cruisers visiting Roma. What better way to start off the cruise than a festive evening at a good gay owned restaurant in Rome....good food, good vino, good company and thou!

Is it August yet?

Ciao

Tom

Glenn and Mike-

We LOVED it!! It was the most fantastic week!!! We will most likely NEVER do a regular cruise again (exception if it was with family or a mixed crowd of people).

I thought that would be your answer. 2 years ago we were on the Westerdam docked in Tortola side by side with the Zuiderdam. The people on the Zuiderdam seemed bored and of course were very interested in our ship with the rainbow flag. The guys laying out on the Lido aft deck in sexy bathing suits really got their attention and when the DJ started the music some even shouted over that they wished they were on our ship.

So I am always a little disappointed when I see people posting that RSVP and Atlantis are ripping us off. I really don't think that is true because they provide so much extra to make it a as much of a Utopian experience as a vacation can be.

So even though I am sorry I had to miss it, I am glad you guys had such a great time & met some Cruise Critic regulars to boot. I feel like we are forming some underground network as I met some of the people you probably met last year. See you in August!!

Glenn

I just sent an e-mail to the gay owned and operated Rome restaurant Asinocotto.

I indicated that there would be a number of gay cruisers in Rome precruise and the desire to dine at the restauarnt on Tuesday 7 August. I stated I would provide a number or participants later down the line for planning purposes, but figure there should be at least 14 in the group.

Tom

Hi Tom, Mike and I would be interested in joining your group if that is okay with you guys. It sounds like a good way to start the cruise and get to know everybody. Mike can speak Italian too if we need any translation. Also, is the Hotel Rex in Rome or Civitavecchia. I guess going through the travel agent is the best idea for a hotel.

As far as the restaurant.....great! I am hoping we can get the word out and get as many people to go that are in Rome that evening. It might make for a very special evening to fill the plcae with gay Americans (and Europeans) for a festive night. As the web site says...your reservation gets the table for the evening.

The following is the initial note I sent out.....which as you can see was acknowledged....and they are waiting! This could set the satge for a fab trip!

............................................................................................

Questa è la copia della email che hai spedito al Ristorante Asinocotto

This is a copy of the email you sent to the Restaurant Asinocotto

Email: t.o.schaefer@erols.com

Nominativo/Name: Tom Schaefer

Oggetto/Subject: Prenotazione / Reservation

Data / Date: 07/08/2007

Ora / Time: 8:00

Numero persone / Number of persons: 1

Testo/Text: Dear Sir, In August,I along with a number of people will be in Rome before boarding a gay cruise (RSVP gay charter). I have mentioned your restaurant on the internet and have received interest by many fellow passengers to dine at Asinocotto on Tuesday 7 August 2007. In the meantime I will be collecting a list of how many people plan to attend....at the moment it is at least 14. I wanted to let you know that you will be visited by a group of gay tourists that evening. We are excited about dining at your establishment and look forward to a great evening.

Grazie per il messaggio, ti aspettiamo.

Thanks for the message, we are waiting for you.

Ristorante Asinocotto

Via dei Vascellari 48

Trastevere - Roma - Italia

Tel/Fax +39 06 5898985

http://www.asinocotto.com

My partner and I will be on the cruise. We live in Biscayne Park, about 30 minutes south of Fort Lauderdale, and are up there all the time. Looking forward to meeting you. In Rome, we're staying at the Imperial Inn precruise, and a night at the Sheraton near the airport post-cruise. Now, if we could just find a cheap flight over!

I leave out of JFK on the 5th and will arrive around noon on the 6th.I'll be staying at the,Rezidenza Antica Roma Hotel. The airline I am using is one I hadn't heard of until I went looking for tickets on Yahoo Travel. It's called,Eurofly and according to,Wikipedia, it was started by Alitalia, back in 1989.

The flight over there is going for $969.00 on their website ,if anyone is interested.

http://www.euroflyusa.com

Tom, count me in for the,Tuesday, night dinner.

UGH! What point is it to get airline/credit card points. Last month AMEX had a 'free' business fare ticket for 65k points I believe. Well that is now gone and I have 72k AMEX points!

Business air will run about $5900 and Coach about $2800.

We really want the new United Dulles to Rome (direct) service. However, even though it is starting April 1st it looks like it is all booked except for Business!

I may have to suck it up and spend the money. I really don't want to connect all over Europe!!! :-)

By the way, how is the FCO airport? Is there easy transportation to the hotels?

Its our first time in Italy!

Thanks!

I think there's a train station in the airport but you have you know what stop to get off at. You can use a cab or arrange for a car service to pick you up

at the airport.

If you use the train be mindful of pickpockets. It will be ,Summer, and there

are teams that keep an eye out for tourists. The pickpockets, believe it or not, are children under the age of ten. They work as a group of 3 or 4 with an adult nearby acting as a lookout for the police.

Archived