IPOD decisions

Tikibird

This is a two part question. First we need to know the best place to buy the IPOD. Choices are:

1. In a shop before the cruise and do Tourist Refund Scheme

2. Duty free shop at Hamilton Wharf

3. Duty free shop on ship

4. Duty free shop in Port Vila

Second part of the question is what kind of IPOD do I need? Requirements are:

1. Ability to sort music into 3 different genres (or 3 different smaller, cheaper IPODS)

2. Ability to copy music from CD collection onto IPOD (no copyright issues?)

3. Ability to download music from Itunes (they probably all do that?)

Sorry to be so green, this is our first venture into IPODs!

This is a two part question. First we need to know the best place to buy the IPOD. Choices are:

1. In a shop before the cruise and do Tourist Refund Scheme

2. Duty free shop at Hamilton Wharf

3. Duty free shop on ship

4. Duty free shop in Port Vila

Second part of the question is what kind of IPOD do I need? Requirements are:

1. Ability to sort music into 3 different genres (or 3 different smaller, cheaper IPODS)

2. Ability to copy music from CD collection onto IPOD (no copyright issues?)

3. Ability to download music from Itunes (they probably all do that?)

Sorry to be so green, this is our first venture into IPODs!

The only thing I can answer there Tikibird is that there isn't a duty free shop at Hamilton, so you won't be getting it there.

Kym

u can basically use all the ipods for wat was mentioned..

i have an ipod 30g which holds couple thousand songs which would be good if u want 3 dif ppls songs on there iv had mine for 12mnths and havnt even touched most of the memory its awsome.

not sure wheres best to get 1 tho sorry.

Any of the nanos or video ipods will allow you to sort into genres. You can also use playlists so for example you, hubby and child.

Ipods are pretty much a set price so not much point shopping around. I don't believe they sell them onboard either, didn't see any inf Vila. Have a look at apple website. We bought ours from there. It is free delivery and they also have free engraving. We had our phone number put on ours so if we ever lose it and lovely honest person finds it they could ring. We claimed ours back through the trs easy. Only thing is you need at least $300 worth of eligble items in one purchase. So the smaller nano's might not be expensive enough unless you spend more on accessories.

Ipod 30GB and 80GB - Are probarbly the best of the entire range. These babies support Games, Video and Photo's that little bet better than previous colour versions and running mates the iPod Nano. Whilst the 80GB is quite appealing following Apples refresh of the range in October most people unless they have the need can get away with the 30GB. ( That being said in a recent breifing from Apple I was informed the 80GB is exceeding demand expectations, so you may have a little bit of trouble finding them )

If you are just looking for something cheap, I really do suggest the 2GB Silver Nano or for that matter any of the 4GB. They are way better than the previous generation 1 models released last year. Battery life on all models is vastly better and the colour screens are better.

iTunes is a wonderful software package that ties together music wonderfully with the iPod. Just load it up and it basicly walks you through getting everything set up. Dont worry about copyright. If you got the music and you paid for it you can copy it to a mobile device. Apple supports copyright with Dont Steal Music Warnings and iTunes Music Store is a fair and great way to buy the music you want when you want at a reasonable price.

75+ Million Users cant be wrong iPod is the new Walkman and I am sure you will love it. I personally would by locally and get the tax back via the Tourist Refund Scheme. Support your Local Apple Reseller!!!

You will love the iPod.

Novemberbravo1974

Thankyou so much for the info Novemberbravo! My daughter has an Ipod 30GB and loves it. We looked for Ipods on our recent Cruise and at the airport prior to flying to S America and couldn't find anything cheaper than buying locally.

We are heading to Thailand in April and after discussions with forums users on Trip Advisor we have been advised to buy before we go.

We will buy locally before we leave and my husband will have his long awaited Ipod for the flight! Think he will need it for the flight back as we got the "very cheap" Jetstar flights home, no food or entertainment unless you buy it!!

Thanks heaps

Cheryl

Thanks also ADF! my husband has just been to the Apple website and checked out the 80GB for $349! we also checked out the Customs website re the rebate, he is very excited he will have his Ipod for Thailand!

Just one question, how long did it take for delivery when ordering direct from the internet?

Thanks for the info

Cheryl

Great info, thanks everyone! I have been busily ripping CDs all day, got about 20 albums and about 1GB so it gives me an idea of how much memory we need. I want to give my husband all his CDs on an IPOD for Christmas.

Once they are on my laptop C drive-My Music, how do I get them into the IPOD?

Thanks for that! I do have Itunes-came with the laptop. Apparently it "converts" the My Music files one by one which is gonna take a while. He had 47 Island music CDs which worked out to 2.3GB (normal, not Itunes converted). So we are looking at a 4GB I think so he can add more stuff later. And it looks like buying local and TRS is the way to go, I just have to smuggle it on without him seeing it.

Another dumb question. Can we delete songs we get sick of and free up space for new music?

Yes, if you delete them from ITunes the next time you sync they will be removed from your ipod. I can't remember exactly how but you can have auto or manual sync. We switched to manual because we didn't have enough room on our laptop and had to deleted files from computer but didn't want to lose them off the ipod - it was bigger storage than laptop.

Eeeek!!! 600 songs, 1.6 days 2.13 GB! I'll never know exactly how long it took to convert the songs, I fell asleep after it had been going about 3 hours!

How annoying-Nano 3gb is $299, just $1 short of the $300. If I buy something else to push it over the top, is that OK for TRS?

Adventures in Target!!! They had an ad for a free accessory pack-headphones, silicone skins, other stuff worth $29.99. However when I got there, they didn't have any accessory packs. They rang a couple other Targets and no one else had one either and I was getting pretty pissed that they advertise something but don't have stock. Just as I was about to stalk off and go buy it from Myers in spite, I spotted another accessory pack that has a couple extra goodies for $10 more. I got the manager to give me that one instead and I pay the extra $10. So my docket is $306! First time for me to use TRS! Plus I will have a very happy husband on Christmas!

Archived