Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crsnook

Just back from Tahitian Princess -- Some Tips

Thanks for the review and now I would like to have your review about the ship

We are thinking to take the Royal Princess which is also a Renaissance cruise ship that Princess bought and we are wondering if that kind of ship will be good for our cruise in Europe

How is it on sea days, is it very crowdy ?

I think that there is no alternative dinner just traditionnal.

If it is possible give me some tips

And Merry Christmas to all

I'm not crsnook, but I'll give you my 2 cents worth on the ship.

I have been on a variety of ship sizes, this was the smallest yet. It is definitely one of my favorites. We only noticed the crowds during disembarkation and tendering. We had our own balcony, so didn't spend much time at the ship pool. On this size ship, you get to know other passengers better - not in a bad, nosy sort of way, but you have the opportunity to run in to people more often. We met a delightful couple during lunch one day and kept up with them in addition to several we met on Cruise Critic. It's a lovely, elegant ship. Lots of wood paneling, murals, etc. - not chrome flashy like other lines. We found service to be excellent. Unless you are just looking for a lot of nightlife/partying - I can't imagine you wouldn't like this size ship. (I'm sure there's plenty of night club life on the ship - we just played so hard all day, we ended up in bed, exhausted, by 11:00 every night!!!! - by the way - I'm not too badly over the hill - we celebrated my 40th birthday on the trip.)

IMHO, the balcony is very worth it for this itinerary - haven't sailed Europe YET, so can't speak to your trip, but we definitely enjoyed our balcony. I NEVER thought I would use laundry facilities on a ship, but the laundry room and ironing board was close by and I ended up doing a few loads (free soap!!!) when we got short on a few things (18 days is a long time to be gone).

It does have alternative dining, Sabatini's and Sterling Steak House, but they are open on alternating nights, i.e. Sabatini's on Monday, Sterling on Tuesday, etc. You have to check to see which is open. We ate at Sterling on Tahitian Princess and have dined at Sabatini's on Star Princess. Both are good, though not quite as "upscale" as those on Celebrity.

Good Luck with your trip planning.

Susan and I though the size of the TP was wonderful. We have been on one smaller ship, the Celebrity Xpedition to the Galapagos Islands which only holds 98 passengers. On both we seemed to know everyone as the week progressed. BTW, Renaissance filed for bankruptcy immediately after 9/11.

Jay

Marc's all day 4x4 with lunch and snorkeling was the BEST thing we did in 20 days. We had Patrick for our guide-a Califorian now married to a local girl. It was an amazing day! Second favorite was the Helmet Dive in Bora Bora, and 3rd was a snorkel trip booked at the dock on Bora Bora-sharks, rays, motu, snorkeling-Magic Island I think it was called.

Do you know the prices of these tours and were they readily available at the port??

Do you know the prices of these tours and were they readily available at the port??

http://www.huahine-nautique.com/picnicR.htm

Here's the link to Marc's tours on Huahine. The 4x4 is $125 and the canoe is $100pp. His tours are not usually available on the pier - we had several people cruising with us who had heard about the tour and approached him wanting to join us - they could not and were very disappointed. Be sure to book in advance if you wish to do this one. I second the high recommendation - we loved it!!!

I'm sure Rita will post and give you information on the others.

If someone could provide an email address and/or website for Damian on Bora Bora i would be extremely appreciative.

thank you

Beryl

a balcony is definitely the way to go on ths ship if you can afford one. we have gone twice, one with a balcony and one inside. the inside is nice and I would not hesitate to stay in one again on another itinerary, but this cruise is worth every penny to have a balcony. Marc's is awesome, a tie for my favorite tour , along with the Taravana on BB. Can't wait to go again!!!

crsnook,

I don't know how you can call the Tahitian Princess an older ship as it was only built in 2000 and I think it was only in service a year or two before Renaissance went bankrupt.

It is a change to be on a small intimate ship where one does to get to know a lot of the passengers not like a monolith of 3000 people.

Jennie

Aussie Gal,

To me, the ship felt like it was an older style. It just didn't feel very modern. But I have to admit, I have been spoiled on two cruises prior to this one on Silver Seas ships. They are small. And I LOVE the small ships. The Silver Seas ships are about 1/3 the size of the TP. I'll never go on one of the mega ships again where there are way too many people.

If you haven't been on Silver Seas I would HIGHLY reccommend it to you. If you like small ships that's the best I've experienced yet. It's pricey, but worth it.

Candice

When we were there in March it was $1,000 xfp - about $12 USD. We added it to our hotel bill, so not sure if they take US Dollars or not.

When we were there it was still $1,000 xpf. I think maybe some people there paid with USD. But I would recommend having local currency on you. I think it's easier to deal with ... and I think they charge you more if you use USD. Sometimes if you pay with USD, they give you chang ein local currency. And then, it's really hard to tell if you're getting the right change or not.

Candice

Aussie Gal,

To me, the ship felt like it was an older style. It just didn't feel very modern. But I have to admit, I have been spoiled on two cruises prior to this one on Silver Seas ships. They are small. And I LOVE the small ships. The Silver Seas ships are about 1/3 the size of the TP. I'll never go on one of the mega ships again where there are way too many people.

If you haven't been on Silver Seas I would HIGHLY reccommend it to you. If you like small ships that's the best I've experienced yet. It's pricey, but worth it.

Candice

My sister has cruised quite a few times on Silverseas, in fact she only returned a couple of days before Christmas after being on the Silver Whisper for 24 days.

Silverseas is a competely different type of cruising, it is 5 star plus with lots of extras and only about 300 passengers whereas the Tahitian Princess is 4 star and the price is competitive with the bigger cruise lines. The difference in price between the two is quite a lot and therefore not everyone's cup of tea.

We are happy with the size, the space and the ambience on the Tahitian and Pacific Princess and the Oceania ships which are all sisters. Yes, we could afford to pay out for a Silverseas experience, but why should we do that when we enjoy what we are getting for a lot less. Perhaps one day we will decide to try Silverseas but at the moment we are happy to save our money. :)

Jennie

crsnook,

Princess only took it over at the beginning of 2003. In my opinion that does not make an old ship. I love the style and the size of the "R" ships and hope to cruise on them for a long time. Oceania have 3 and Princess have another 3 which leaves 2 left and I am not sure where they are at the moment.

Jennie

I just read that the other two Renaissance Ships have been purchased by Celebrity. Journey is set to launch in May 2007 and another Celebrity Quest will launch in October 2007. A couple more to add to my list, we love Celebrity too!!!

Laura already gave the info on Marc's 4x4 all day with picnic. Book early or be disappointed!

The Helmet Dive in Bora Bora must be booked through the ship-book early as it sells out too. Early in the day is better than later as it usually rains in the afternoon.

The Magic Island snorkel trip in Bora Bora we booked at the pier for $30pp. We took an early tender so we would have time to arrange the day.

For those interested in Damien's website, and for those that don't speak or read French, go to http://babelfish.altavista.com

It is a translation page. You just put Damien's web page in the required spot and put French to English translation. The website will come up translated.

Damien's webpage is http://www.boraboraphotolagon.com.

Hi Candice and Brian

Thanks for the tips! Was wondering what the contact details are for Damian in Bora Bora - we are looking to relax here a little and go snorkling so perhasp thsi si our option?

Regards, Jill

Ooops just got to the end of the board and see the details ... ignore me!

A question about the weather in December--how was it? It's one of the hotter and rainier months, no doubt more humid too. I've been there in April, May and June, and April was quite unbearable at times. I know it doesn't matter much when you're on the ship or in the water, but just wondering.

Wendy, we flew back on 01 Dec 06.

We stayed 2 days before & 4 days after the Tahitian Princess cruise. We did get rain for a few days (off & on) at the start, but nothing that really had a big impact on our holidays. What the he ... your in paradise!!!

The morning of our Bruno tour on Riatea it was raining but Bruno went out with us anyway. Things looked glum! As we traveled the rain slowly abaited and before the first stop for lunch it was overcast, no rain and getting sunnier by the moment. By the time we got to the coral gardens the sun was out & it had turned into a really great day! :)

It is that time of year & I do know that WeBeGone (Rita & Lou) did have a couple of rainy days on the next cruise (They did a B2B) but I beilieve that they still had a great time. Rita did do a review.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Wendy, we flew back on 01 Dec 06.

We stayed 2 days before & 4 days after the Tahitian Princess cruise. We did get rain for a few days (off & on) at the start, but nothing that really had a big impact on our holidays. What the he ... your in paradise!!!

The morning of our Bruno tour on Riatea it was raining but Bruno went out with us anyway. Things looked glum! As we traveled the rain slowly abaited and before the first stop for lunch it was overcast, no rain and getting sunnier by the moment. By the time we got to the coral gardens the sun was out & it had turned into a really great day! :)

It is that time of year & I do know that WeBeGone (Rita & Lou) did have a couple of rainy days on the next cruise (They did a B2B) but I beilieve that they still had a great time. Rita did do a review.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Dan- Where did you stay before/after?

http://www.huahine-nautique.com/picnicR.htm

Here's the link to Marc's tours on Huahine.

I am only beginning to do my research for my cruise on the TP. I have heard people on these boards talking about both the shark feeding and the BBQ picnic. Do you have to choose one or the other or is there another shark feeding at another port?

2 days pre-cruise in a Panoramic Room which was very large & great views. 3 nights (4 days) post cruise in an over water bungelow.

I would have to say that this hotel is almost a destination in itself! Not cheap, but absolutely beautiful. If you snorkel, they have their own Lagoonarium with all kinds of fish, stingrays etc. I wouldn't hesitate to say there again. I could go on & on ... but lets just say that we really enjoyed our stay.

2 pieces of advice;

- order off the menu, don't do the buffet (unless you are a very, very big eater)

- for about $100 to $125 get a dayroom for your last day (they don't tell you about this, otherwise checkout is 11:00) but you could possibly even stay in your existing room till about 3 hours before your flight. It's very convenient!

Dan

Dan, thanks for the info on the IC. I am staying there four days before my btb cruise and two days after. Sounds like a great place to de-stress before the cruise. I think I will book the late check out as my plane doesn't leave until 2:00 a.m. Do you think they will let me stay until 11:00 a.m.? Did you have an Ambassador certificate for a free night? Was there any hassle in using it? I have pre-paid my stay, so I assume it would be credited to my credit card. I leave home on Jan. 20. I am so looking forward to this trip.

Yes, we have one, but I believe the free night only works on a weekend and we were not there pre or post, over a weekend. I also booked thru Princess, for us, believe it or not, it was cheaper and covered under our travel insurance.

As far as your check-out time goes, I'm not sure. You would have to ask during your pre-cruise stay & I suggest that the first thing you do post cruise is book the dayroom. (If they are completely full, they may not be able to do this) I waited till later in the day of departure so we had to change rooms. Not that big a deal, but if I'd have heard & dealt with it sooner, we likley could have stayed in our OWB.

Have a great cruise & stay at the IC.

Dan

Thanks for the info, Dan. I'll be staying over a weekend after the cruise, so the certificate should work. Since I'm getting a free night, I may just book another night and just leave the hotel at 11:00 p.m. This way I won't get moved and I can spend my last night in Paradise in peace. I know this is going to be an amazing trip, a trip of a lifetime, and I don't want any hassles or stress.

Dan,

About the dayroom, as you know we arrive early morning back in Papeete and our flight out isn't until late evening. Which hotel would let us reserve a dayroom for that period of time. I know the ship lets you stay onboard for that time period, but it is questionable that we could use the showers at the spa, so my next option would be a dayroom.

Any information you could provide would be very helpful.

Vette