Post your best UNDERWATER cruise pictures

The turtle pics I posted are all from Akumal, Mexico. It's a town between Playa Del Carmen and Tulum (south of Cancun). There are a group of turtles that live in the bay. Beautiful place with great snorkeling right off the beach.

Here are a couple more pics. I believe these are from Cozumel, with the exception of the turtles. Those are from Akumal.

IMG_2554_edited-1.jpg

IMG_3302_edited-1.jpg

This guy did a pretty good job of blending in...

Great photos! (We went to Tulum on our one day in Mexico).

What camera did you use?

• 3 weeks later...

anyone know what kind of fish this is and are his "dentures" used to get algae from the rocks?

I believe that is a parrot fish. I guess I didn't realize they had teeth. :eek: I've never seen them show their teeth before. wow. Great shot!

I believe that is a parrot fish. I guess I didn't realize they had teeth. :eek: I've never seen them show their teeth before. wow. Great shot!

Have you have listened to a parrot fish under water?

You can actually hear them chomping on the coral with their teeth.

Ahh - I was just going to post that. It actually makes quite a loud and noticeable sound if its a decent reef area with a lot of parrot fish. We'd heard the sound for years before someone told us what it was, I could never figure it out before that and thought it was distant boat motors or something.

No, I've never heard them make a sound before. Hmmm, that's interesting. Every place we've ever snorkeled had parrot fish around and I've never heard anything. (Now I'll be trying to listen on my upcoming cruise while snorkeling hehe) :D

A fine picture of a Queen Parrot Fish. This species has an interesting life when it comes to gender, see the description here. Essentially males have brighter coloration.

There are some who believe parrot fish should be protected as they clean coral of various life choking flora.

• 2 weeks later...
I am going on a cruise in November, and would definitely like to take pics underwater, and also not be worried about the sand getting inside of it. Does anyone have any reviews of any of the underwater digital cameras?

I don't know what you budget is, but check into the Canon D10. It's a wonderful camera that takes awesome pictures on land, in the water and even at night including fireworks pictures. :D A lot of people on here use it and it's highly recommended.

I am going on a cruise in November, and would definitely like to take pics underwater, and also not be worried about the sand getting inside of it. Does anyone have any reviews of any of the underwater digital cameras?

There are two reviews at dpreview. One is from 2009 but at least the Canon D10 from that review is still being sold, not sure of the others. There is also a similar roundup review from this year.

Archived