Pride of Aloha vs. Jewel

traveljule

We were cnfrmd in a mini suite on the Sun for next x-mas. Since the Sun is now being replaced by the Pride of Aloha for the 11 day next Dec. NCL offered us a penthouse for the same price as a mini-suite. Our other thought was taking the Jewel 9 or 14 day next x-mas. It costs a bit more in a mini-suite but is the ship/service that much better than the Pride of Aloha?

In the past we have taken HAL and this will be our 1st NCL (although I sailed NCL in the '80's). We mostly want to do NCL for the freestyle concept. Any thoughts comparing a penthouse on the Pride of aloha to a min-suite on the Jewel would be appreciated. Either itinerary, Caribbean or Hawaii, is fine.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

I would think a Penthouse wins easily when compared to a Mini-Suite.

The Pride of Aloha isn't that old to begin with, or that it is lacking much when compared to the newer and larger NCL ships.

Although I haven't sailed on the POA, I have on it's sister the Norwegian Sun. I wouldn't hestitate to sail on either in a Penthouse Suite.

Do you have a passport? If not, stay in America and cruise Hawaii! I would choose a suite over a mini suite hands down, anywhere, especially if its cheaper.

Of course, if you would prefer a Caribbean cruise to a Hawaiian cruise, I would do a Caribbean cruise.

However, hands down, I would take the suite. For starters, you'll have the opportunity to see the Captain at his party for the suite passengers, a step above the party for Latitude members.

We were on the Jewel Dec 17th in a mini-suite. We sailed the POAloha last year. I think it boils down to where you want to go. If you choose Hawaii (which I would recommend if you've never been) then remember that (IMO) the ship serves mainly as a floating hotel because you'll be on shore everyday. We were. The POA was fine for us. But going in, we thought of it that way. And enjoyed every minute. The Jewel is a bit larger and newer. We liked the actual ship much better than the POA. The crew was certainly better. When we sailed the POA is had it's "American" crew for just over 6 months and they were experiencing some "issues". I assume that those issues have been worked out. IMO they were minor anyway. Both are great ships. But Hawaii is..............paradise!

Steve

Just got back from Pride of Aloha Dec 3 sailing in Hawaii and stayed in 8202 Penthouse. Very wonderful accommodations and the butler and concierge service was wonderful from renting cars, to booking reservations at specialty restaurants that said there was no availability, etc. We had friends staying above us in Penthouse 9202. Their room had a tiny side room in it with bunk beds that they used as a closet, but their deck was dramatically smaller than ours. Ours was huge and was great for private sun bathing and small evening parties. ...Any questions...please email!

Archived