traverlers checks

Debra Lynn

Has anyone ever had a problem using travelers checks in the ports... Cozumel, Ohio Rios, Grand Cayman?

Can't speak for OR, but in CG and Coz it was a snap using travelers checks - - no problem at all. The only issue I could even imagine, is if the purchase was far less than the amount of the TC, then the change might have to be given in foreign currency if they didn't have enough $US in the register. Have a great cruise - - Bon Voyage!!

I'll ask the question. One of the reasons people use TC's is that if they are lost or stolen, they can be replaced.

If one is in the middle of the ocean on a 7-14 day cruise, where does one go to wait in line, file forms, and receive replacement cheques?

I'll ask the question. One of the reasons people use TC's is that if they are lost or stolen, they can be replaced.

If one is in the middle of the ocean on a 7-14 day cruise, where does one go to wait in line, file forms, and receive replacement cheques?

You'd have to wait until you were at a port with a phone (or use your mobile phone or ship phone with the higher charges) to report it to the issuing institution. You'd have replacements available at the next port of call that does issuing. They can do same-day re-issue. But my biggest advise to offer you is a simple one: Use the safe that's in your cabin for any valuables you don't need at a given moment. Don't carry all your TCs into port when you know you don't intend to spend over a certain amount. And, and the ealier poster mentioned, cash them onboard with the purser's office and take cash into port (it's easier to bargain with). Have a great vacation, and Bon Voyage!!

Another thought is a travel money card from AAA. You can use them at ATMs to withdraw local currency, or you can use them just like a Visa. If they are lost or stolen, they can be replaced. They have them here in the Indiana AAAs anyway. We have had good luck with them.

TC's can be a pain and you have to buy them and then turn around and cash what's left when you return. Why not use a cc? It's accepted everywhere and you have protection if it's lost or stolen. Traveler's checks are hard to replace no matter what the commercials say.

The private tour operator we had booked in Costa Rica only took cash, if you have any non-Carnival sponsored excursions you should make sure you ask this question. I wouldn't go through the hassle of traveler's checks myself. Just US dollars and CC is what I would recommend.

We have used travelers cheques on all of our cruises with no problems.

Yes, but have you ever lost them or had them stolen and tried to replace them? I'm just not sure what exactly the benefit is. They have a surcharge to purchase them, they're really not safer than cash, and if you lose them, the wait to have them replaced is a lot longer than your vacation will be. A cc can be cancelled if stolen or lost and you are protected from anyone using your card before you cancel it as well as having the ability to dispute any charge made if anything you purchase is fraudulently represented or defective. I'm not saying Traveler's checks don't work, I just dont' see the point.

TC's can be a pain and you have to buy them and then turn around and cash what's left when you return. Why not use a cc? It's accepted everywhere and you have protection if it's lost or stolen. Traveler's checks are hard to replace no matter what the commercials say.

I think everyone has their own way of doing things, if TC's dont work for you then there is no reason to use them. But if someone else finds them useful then that is what works for them. I take a mixture of all 3 and dont find any of them a PITA. TC's dont carry a fee if you by them from AAA or have a good relationship with your bank.

I think everyone has their own way of doing things, if TC's dont work for you then there is no reason to use them. But if someone else finds them useful then that is what works for them. I take a mixture of all 3 and dont find any of them a PITA. TC's dont carry a fee if you by them from AAA or have a good relationship with your bank.

And every single person that I know that has tried to replace lost or stolen ones has not been pleased. My question is what is the benefit?

Also, read my post above yours where I said "I'm not saying they don't work, but I don't see the point"

. . . they're really not safer than cash, and if you lose them, the wait to have them replaced is a lot longer than your vacation will be . . .

I'm going to continue pondering that one for a while. Maybe I'll get it later.

Have a great start to the New Year, all!!!

Granted, TCs can be a pain, but unless you tell your CC holder you're going out of the country, you may find that they're not accepted. That happened to me in Ocho Rios. Glad I brought the TCs with me!

Granted, TCs can be a pain, but unless you tell your CC holder you're going out of the country, you may find that they're not accepted. That happened to me in Ocho Rios. Glad I brought the TCs with me!

You couldn't use your cc in Ocho Rios I have used mine all over the world without any problems or is that the only place that you had a problem. I never ever had to tell my cc holder were I was going.

You couldn't use your cc in Ocho Rios I have used mine all over the world without any problems or is that the only place that you had a problem. I never ever had to tell my cc holder were I was going.

Its always good to let them know you will be on a cruise and using it at various ports. It could trigger a red flag if they see charges from various caribbean locations within a 7 day span. Some have never had a problem, others have been declined and didnt have a backup plan.

I never had a problem using our cc, but it can happen. I called home to check messages from St Thomas after a day of shopping and our credit union had a left a message saying there were some suspicious charges on our card. We had been shopping that afternoon. They didn't cut off our card, but I had to call and okay the charges. Nothing is perfect, but we carry two cards. And as for above where I said TC's aren't safer than cash, I didn't mean that cash is safer, I meant TC's don't provide the convenience some think, so, now, you can quit pondering. I also take some cash with us for tips, taxis, etc., but only a couple of hundred.

you can take them, and if a given port won't accept them, you can cash at Purser's desk b/4 going ashore.

From Carnival's FAQs:

Can Traveler's Checks be cashed on board?spacer.gifTraveler's Checks can be cashed on board at the Information Desk; since Traveler's Checks are considered as cash, there is no fee for this check cashing service and no limit to the dollar amount cashed.

Canadian Traveler's Checks can be cashed on board at the Information Desk at the current exchange rate.

I was a flight attendant from the late sixties to the late eighties and I never left home (especially on vacation or trips to Europe) without travelers checks. For the past nearly twenty years . . . especially on my cruises . . . I've never once taken a travelers check. I put cash in a leather frolder from my bank and keep it in the safe on my cabin . . . only taking out what I might need for tips, transportation and excursions that don't accept a credit card while in Port. Needless to say . . . you only need your S&S card on board ship. Though I always use a credit card for my S&S card . . . I try to pay off the balance with cash. I also only used my credit card for any purchases made in Ports.

I think Travelers Checks were fantastic in their day . . . before credit cards, debit cards and even using cash. Personally, I don't see the reason for them anymore . . . unless you don't take percautions to keep your cash, credit card, S&S card and pictured ID hidden while in Port (I wear a white pocket type thingy I got from Eddie Baurer around my neck and under my clothes).

It works for me . . . :p

Here's what I'm doing for Europe:

I'm going to CVS and getting a few prepaid debit cards that act like a MC/VISA and have the logos. Go to www.greendotonline.com for more information. Ones that can be "filled" at Western Union (grocery stores, etc.) are at www.mywiredplastic.com. You can use them in ATM's or as a "credit card".

Take ONE ashore and if something happens, you have back ups on the ship for the rest of the week. You can cancel them immediately so you can retrieve whatever's left on the card when you get home.

Keep a log of which card numbers you have and how much is on each one. They take less than 2 weeks to arrive in the mail with your name on it, but greendot will give you your card number over the phone when you do the "authorization" process to use online and over the phone until your card arrives.

These are great... you can also use one for S&S to keep that account separate and in control.

Hope this helps!

Here's what I'm doing for Europe:

I'm going to CVS and getting a few prepaid debit cards that act like a MC/VISA and have the logos. Go to www.greendotonline.com for more information. Ones that can be "filled" at Western Union (grocery stores, etc.) are at www.mywiredplastic.com. You can use them in ATM's or as a "credit card".

Take ONE ashore and if something happens, you have back ups on the ship for the rest of the week. You can cancel them immediately so you can retrieve whatever's left on the card when you get home.

Keep a log of which card numbers you have and how much is on each one. They take less than 2 weeks to arrive in the mail with your name on it, but greendot will give you your card number over the phone when you do the "authorization" process to use online and over the phone until your card arrives.

These are great... you can also use one for S&S to keep that account separate and in control.

Hope this helps!

Archived