What ishe Correct Shade of Cunard Red?

guernseyguy

Which is the closest match to 'Cunard Red'?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the closest match to 'Cunard Red'?

• Crimson
    • Red
    • Scarlet
    • Vermilion
    • Coral Red
    • Pomegranate
    • Orange
    • International Orange
    • None of the above
    • The current colour looks fine

On another board there is a discussion about the correct shade of orange-red that Cunard used to use before recent scarlet indiscretions (even worse, for liner nuts, that colour belongs to the French). So, dear reader, from ou collective memory, which red-orange best matches the tru Cunard Red? It has been argued that 'Vermilion' is the nearest match - to my eye it lacks a litle orange - see the colour chart at the bottom of the Wikipedia entry on Vermilion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermilion

From those, which do you think is the closest to the true 'Cunard Red'. I've listed the 10 closest (to my eye) fro the Wikipedia colour chart.

Peter, London

On another board there is a discussion about the correct shade of orange-red that Cunard used to use before recent scarlet indiscretions (even worse, for liner nuts, that colour belongs to the French). So, dear reader, from ou collective memory, which red-orange best matches the tru Cunard Red? It has been argued that 'Vermilion' is the nearest match - to my eye it lacks a litle orange - see the colour chart at the bottom of the Wikipedia entry on Vermilion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermilion

From those, which do you think is the closest to the true 'Cunard Red'. I've listed the 10 closest (to my eye) fro the Wikipedia colour chart.

Peter, London

Peter,

I have swatches of the funnel paint used on QE2 in 1986 in addition to a swatch of funnel paint from the original MAURETANIA in 1934 as well as a swatch of the old QUEEN MARY's mast buff in 1936.

These swatches were taken from original paint samples and given to me several years ago by Ken Marschall.

A couple of years aho the funnel of QE2 was painted International Orange while the ship was lying in Sydney during the world cruise. Captain Mc Naught explained that he couldn't get any Cunard Red so they used the next best thing... International Orange... the lifeboat paint.

When QM2 was delivered the funnel was painted a shade of red that bears no resembalance to Cunard Red. In the colour chart it looks like Scarlet in the Shades of Red category. Why this colour was picked I have no idea. Perhaps someone high up thought it looked better than 'faded orange'. Perhaps it was a colour that can be bought 'off the shelf' without any special mixing. Personally I think it looks awful!!!!!

The swatch of paint I have from MAURETANIA is somewhere in between Coral and Amber in the Shade of Orange category. It is a pink-orange. Quite distinctive. Next time you are aboard QE2 have a look at the big model of MAURETANIA. That is what the correct colour looks like.

Stephen

Well, if what we are really after is "correct" Cunard red, I would posit that we are looking for the color of BRITANNIA's funnel c.1840. However, I do not think any of us have been around that long ;) !

So, all that said, I chose pomegranate. That looks closest on my display to what I imagine Cunard red as looking like. But it's too dark. The lighter colors all seem too pink or too orange though, and anyway you didn't list them.

I would say that, in varying degrees, Crimson, Red, Vermillion and Coral Red all have too much blue in them. Orange and International Orange have too much yellow. Scarlet is not too blue or too yellow but much too bright. Pomegranate is closer, I think, than any of those, sitting between Vermillion (too blue) and International Orange (too yellow).

But as I said, I think it is too dark. We need something lighter.

Keep in mind that this also all depends on how you are viewing it. I'm using a notebook LCD (which is generally not the best sort of display for looking at color) but it is pretty well calibrated using a colorimeter so I guess it should be more accurate than 98% of what is out there. But if I look at those swatches in Safari, and then plug the color coordinates into Photoshop, I get different colors! e.g. Pomegranate's color coordinates of 243, 71, 35 give me something much darker and less correct if I "make" that color in Photoshop.

I think we really need a color scientist in to clear all this up! Anyone who works with color knows that it can be a pretty tricky thing and it is very subjective. What looks right might not be actually right (I think there is actually a color management term for this - perceptive vs. colorimetric or something like that)!

Stephen - Is the 1986 QE2 color different from the 1934 MAURETANIA color? It sounds like it, as it does not sound much like the color I am used to seeing on QE2. If I think of the big MAURETANIA model, it definitely seems like that is a lighter color than the one we are used to seeing these days. I was never sure if that was the proper color or if it had just faded!

How about the big MAURETANIA painting, forward end of the starboard side indoor promenade on Quarter Deck (just aft of the big model)? That is definitely a much lighter, amber/coral sort of color than has been used recently. It has been a year since I've seen it but I think even lighter than the model. (Maybe the painting has faded, and not the model?)

Peter,

.......A couple of years aho the funnel of QE2 was painted International Orange while the ship was lying in Sydney during the world cruise. Captain Mc Naught explained that he couldn't get any Cunard Red so they used the next best thing... International Orange... the lifeboat paint......

Stephen

Captain McNaught painted QE2's funnel in orange lifeboat paint :eek:

I bet the Winter Crossing Club don't know that!!! What a hoot and so much for Cunard tradition eh???

Ken

Captain McNaught painted QE2's funnel in orange lifeboat paint :eek:

Frankly, I think the color it is usually painted in is probably pretty close to International Orange anyway! If you did not have the two next to each other, it would probably be difficult to tell the difference.

In fact, if you were to look at the ship I think many people would probably identify the lifeboats and funnel as being the same color anyway!

I think if you showed most people a swatch of International Orange and asked them what color it was they would say "red". I used to think the Golden Gate Bridge was red - no, it is International Orange!

Most of the time when you say "orange" people will tend to think of a much yellower color like Safety Orange. Now, QE2's funnel would look very silly painted Safety Orange :eek: !

Frankly, I think the color it is usually painted in is probably pretty close to International Orange anyway! If you did not have the two next to each other, it would probably be difficult to tell the difference.

In fact, if you were to look at the ship I think many people would probably identify the lifeboats and funnel as being the same color anyway!

I think if you showed most people a swatch of International Orange and asked them what color it was they would say "red". I used to think the Golden Gate Bridge was red - no, it is International Orange!

Most of the time when you say "orange" people will tend to think of a much yellower color like Safety Orange. Now, QE2's funnel would look very silly painted Safety Orange :eek: !

Hey Doug .... how long is a piece of string - discuss !!!! ;)

I'm sitting home all day waiting for a plumber to come. So, I need something to do ;) :eek: ...

Snap .... we've got a blocked drain and are waiting for the 'Drain Doctor' !!!!

You???? ;)

I notice the old girl is already 2 hours late sailing tonight - must have some problems!!

I notice the old girl is already 2 hours late sailing tonight - must have some problems!!

She was very late arriving this morning. Cunard tried to blame it on the amount of luggage to be offloaded although I'm fairly sure that wasn't the cause.

Stephen - Is the 1986 QE2 color different from the 1934 MAURETANIA color? It sounds like it, as it does not sound much like the color I am used to seeing on QE2. If I think of the big MAURETANIA model, it definitely seems like that is a lighter color than the one we are used to seeing these days. I was never sure if that was the proper color or if it had just faded!

How about the big MAURETANIA painting, forward end of the starboard side indoor promenade on Quarter Deck (just aft of the big model)? That is definitely a much lighter, amber/coral sort of color than has been used recently. It has been a year since I've seen it but I think even lighter than the model. (Maybe the painting has faded, and not the model?)

Doug,

Correct, the QE2 red that they first used back in 1982 is considerably darker and more red than the old Cunard red.

The colour on the MAURETANIA model is probably as close as you will find to the original. It is orange with a touch of pink... somewhere between the amber and coral colours in the Orange range.

The red on that big Mauretania painting on QE2 isn't correct. It is too red.

Stephen

Doug,

International Orange IS 'safety orange'! It is the standard colour for ships where a 'safety orange' is required... ie inside lifeboats etc

Unless you are thinking of DAYGLOW Orange which is a flourescent/reflective paint. Uglier than sin!

When I first went to sea the Chief Officer gave me a painting job. He told me the colour he wanted me to fetch from the paint locker. I misunderstooood what he said and went away thinking to myself, What on earth is 'DAGO' Orange'?

Stephen

Correct, the QE2 red that they first used back in 1982 is considerably darker and more red than the old Cunard red.

It has always looked rather scarlet to me.

But of course if one looks at photos, paintings, models etc. of pre-QE2 Cunarders it has always been pretty obvious that they were using the wrong color.

The red on that big Mauretania painting on QE2 isn't correct. It is too red.

I must be getting the model and the painting confused. I envision the model as having redder funnels than the painting.

International Orange IS 'safety orange'! It is the standard colour for ships where a 'safety orange' is required... ie inside lifeboats etc

I wonder if this is a US-UK thing here?

In the US, Safety Orange is different from International Orange.

See the Wikipedia articles for Internatonal orange and Safety orange.

Day-Glo is not a color but a brand name for flourescent paint which has become genericized like "Hoover" has been for vacuum cleaners.

I think "Day-Glo orange" would probably be pretty close to what I think of as Safety Orange.

Archived