Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mountainhouse

Any problems with cameras fogging up?

I suspect Tahiti is humid enough, but not hot enough to do this. Has anyone had trouble with photo gear or binoculars fogging up when going outside from the cool, dry ship? Tnx,

We had the binoculars, digital camera & an underwater camera.

I don't recall having a fogging up problem ever and that includes the uw camera!

I don't think that the ship is THAT heavily air conditioned that there is a problem.

Dan

The only time we had a problem with cameras fogging up was in China this past summer. Ask DH about it and he didn't recall there being a problem. He's been known to use those little anti-fog wipes (for dive masks) on his lens whenever he anticipates trouble, so that might be an option as well.

Enjoy the photo taking - above or below the sea, it's all pretty incredible.

Charlie

Just got back from Tahiti last night, and yes, camera lenses do fog up when you move from the nice air conditioned cabin to the hot and humid outside air. The key is making the transition from cool to hot. I had my digital still camera as well as my underwater video system with me. The trick is allowing the camera time to transition from cool to hot. I would take my still camera and put it in the shade on my balcony for ten or fifteen minutes or so and allow it to warm to the outside temp, and sure enough it didn't fog.

The underwater video was another issue. My camera has a moisture alert. In the past, when I would have to change cassettes out in a boat open to the moist air, the camera would shut down because of the sensor which sensed moisture internally. I found that after rought a half hour, the sensor aclimatized, and I could again use the camera. The video housing was another story, however. The problem is going from the cold of your stateroom to the Polynesian heat, then into the cooler water. What I found was the best solution was to load the camera in the dryer enviornment of the cabin, then put it in the housing, but not sealing the housing, and I'd put the whole unit in the shade of my balcony for a half hour or so, and then seal it tight there. The only time I had any fogging was on a deep NITROX dive to ove 120', where the temp dropped several degrees and I noticed a little fog on the lens for a couple of minutes. The fog did go away, and the film came out great.

Our camera and binoculars always fogged up when taking them from the cabin out to the balcony. Just give the camera five min and it clears up.