Sun Lover

Who Has Taken a Tour With Curacao Actief?

I would like to hear from people who have done a tour with Curacao Actief and what it was like. I specifically am looking at the Desert & Caves Safari, so if anyone has done this, could you please let me know how it was and what you liked and disliked about it. Thanks.

just back from our AOS cruise and we used Curacao Actief for a half day snorkel trip. Anita was very communicative ahead of the trip, full of information. The arrangements for pickup worked fine (Ramsey the taxi driver actually found me before I saw him!). Anita took us to two spots where the snorkeling was fabulous. The day we were there the water was somewhat rough, Anita told us it was some of the worst she has seen, but it really did not impact the snorkeling very much. After each stop we would also stop for a little sightseeing, Anita is a trove of information on Curacao history. When we were done, she dropped us at the beach of our choice (Kontiki) where the rest of our group had spent the day. She would have dropped us back at ship if desired of course. She also arranged for Ramsey to come pick us up at our desired time. Traffic was not an isssue for us at all.

All in all, I have to give Anita and CA a big thumbs up! Highly reccomended. Any questions let me know.

bobj

We did a tour with Curacao actief last Janaury and had a great day. we will be doing the desert and cave tour at the end of January and I'll wrtie a report as soon as I get back. There are several review on this page about this company and they all will tell you how accomodating the people that organize these tours are.

Hi Johnbob7,

On their website it looks like the 1/2 day tour includes 3 snorkel sights. Did you only go to 2 because the water was rough?

Did they supply the snorkel gear or did you bring your own?

It sounds like we don't want to miss this experience!

I think a combination of the water being unusually rough and we had and member of our group that was a novice and had some trouble getting into the swing of things at first. While Anite worked with him we spent a lot of time expoloring the tug area, whcih was awesome, and it was all before the big excursion boats showed up. By the time we got to and finished with spot two, we needed to get back to the beach to hook up with our other group.

Just got pictures last night, and they confirm that it was way cool. Hope you enjoy!

bobj

Bobj,

Thanks for all the info! I just got a reply, and we are confirmed for a 1/2 day trip. It sounds way cool!

Bobj,

Thanks for all the info! I just got a reply, and we are confirmed for a 1/2 day trip. It sounds way cool!

shrek,

Please be sure to post a review of the Desert & Caves Tour. I just signed up for it for this April, and I'd love to hear what you thought of it.

Will do. We will be going in 2 weeks, so as soon as I get back I'll tell you how it went.

Will do. We will be going in 2 weeks, so as soon as I get back I'll tell you how it went.

Shrek, I just booked with Curacao-Actief.

I'll be interested in your comments.

For those of you who asked for a report on my recent tour with Curacao-Actief here it is.

We booked the desert and cave tour for four of us on Jan 31. We were met at the cruise dock at 8:30 am by Ramsay, who drives a nice taxi van and he transported us to the Curacao-Actief office where we took care of the payment details. Our guide was Han (who was also our guide last year when we did a snorkelling tour). We were transported in a beautiful open air safari type vehicle to the Hato desert ( it took about 20 minutes). We first explored a small cave that has a lake in it, and Han explained how the caves were formed and how the original island inhabitants used the caves. Then we went to the Bulls Eye, which was a flat area in the desert used by the Allies in WWII for bombing target practice. From there we went to the large cave, Kueba di Brua which was the coolest thing ever. It was huge and had stalagmites and stalagcites and rock formations and bats and Han again shared his knowledge of how the caves were formes and what they were used for. We took dozens of pictures.

We had a nice picnic lunch here, which was provided by Han, and I should mention that they also provide plenty of drinking water, as it is very hot in the desert.

After lunch we drove to Boka Ascension which is a beautiful gorge cut into the island by nature and we were able to see the sea turtles coming in to feed on the sea grass. From there we went to the Suplado crater which is a natural geyser - the waves were pretty forceful that day, and the geyser was blowing about 25 feet in the air. It was really cool. Again we took tons of pictures.

We had also asked Han to squeeze in a short snorkel stop for us so we then proceeded on to Porto Mari, where there is a nice calm snorkel spot (perfect for all levels of snorkellers) the water is shallow and the fish are in abundance.

On our way back to the ship Han spotted some flamingos in the salt flats so we stopped and were able to get very close for some pictures.

We arrived back at the cruise ship pier at 4:05 and still had time to wander in the little market before embarking.

Once again, we thouroughly enjoyed our excursion with Curacao-actief and we think their excursions are the best ones offered, and the best value for your money of any that we have taken on all the islands. Han is an extremely knowledgable guide, and goes out of his way to make sure that everyone is comfortable, and he is always willing to adjust the schedule to accomodate our needs.

If you are looking for an excursion that goes off the "tourist track" and is a wonderful way to spend a day then I would definitely recommend any of Curacao-Actief's adventures.

Let me know if you have any questions.

We had an assortment of salads, ham, and cheese and bread, apples and oranges. It was a nice simple picnic lunch, which after the abundance of food I had been eating on the cruise ship, was a welcome change.

Shrek,

Thanks so much for posting about this tour. I've been anxiously waiting to hear how it went. Now if you don't mind, I have a few questions for you. Could you take anything with you, such as a backpack? I have one son who is a very picky eater and I was thinking of packing some snacks for him in case he doesn't really like the lunch. Did they arrange with you ahead of time where to meet them at the pier? We've gotten a confirmation of our reservation, but it doesn't say anything about meeting them and how we know who to look for. Did you wear a bathing suit under your clothes so you'd be all set for snorkeling? Did you bring towels? Was snorkeling equipment provided by them? We have Emailed them and told them we'd better end the tour at 3:30 to give us plenty of time to get back on the ship. Do you think that will give us enough time without feeling rushed? Were you able to use a restroom at some point on the trip? Were there any particular things you did that you think teenagers would really enjoy? I hope you don't mind me asking this many questions, but I was thrilled to find someone who has gone on this exact tour. The thing I like is it sounds like they're pretty flexible as far as changing the itinerary around if you want do something not included on the tour. I can't wait! Thanks so much for responding.

We each took a backpack with towel, camera, sunblock, binoculars etc. You could take the snacks along.

They sent me an email beforehand with the instructions for meeting Ramsay at the pier.

We wore our bathing suits under our clothes. We brought towels from the ship. They will provide snorkel equipment, but we brought our own.

If you plan to be back at the ship by 4pm you will have enough time to do what we did, any earlier and you will have to cut something out. We have done two tours now with them and we have never worried about getting back in time.

Restrooms were non-existant until we got to the snorkel stop. There are plenty of bushes and cactus to hide behind. Of course it is easier for the guys than the girls, but we managed.

I think the teenagers will really like the caves, and the Suplado crater and the snorkelling.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

We just returned from our cruise on the Empress of the Seas. Our tour with Curacao-actief was FABULOUS! We did the 1/2 day snorkeling trip. Our guide was Claire. She was precious.. so kind and knowledgable. We were picked up at the pier by the taxi driver, Ramsey, who was patiently waiting for us. (we were 45 minutes late since the ship was late being cleared by customs.) He took us to the office where we met Claire and paid Han for the tour. Then we were off to Tugboat. Claire was very informative; we enjoyed the drive to the site.

Once we got our fins on we were able to swim right to the tugboat. Claire had timed the trip so we would get to Tugboat before the ship tours, so there were only about 5 or 6 other people snorkeling while we were there. BEAUTIFUL snorkeling! The best on this cruise. We saw lots of parrot fish and all sorts of other fish. We were excited when we saw a spotted moray eel.

We probably were at Tugboat 45 minutes or so, then Claire drove us around the bend (with a little sightseeing on the way.) We snorkeling from there to see a spectacular sea garden! Then we kept going back toward the Tugboat again, while Claire swam against the current back to get the truck. We took our time around tugboat. That time we saw a 6-8 ft. green moray eel. That made our day! Claire was waiting for us at the original beach.

One tip- I wish I had brought my aqua shoes or flip flops to walk from the truck to the beach .. the beach is rocky.

It was a wonderful day! Anytime I am back in Curacoa, I will definetly use Curacoa-actief!

The tour we took was their half day tour, and it was $50. I would certainly ask if they have a family special for 6!

You won't be disappointed in this tour!

Hi Everyone!

We just returned from our Maasdam cruise and spent a 1/2 day (last Sat 3/31) with Anita from Curacao Actief. We found the snorkeling at Director's Bay in Curacao to be the best we have ever experienced. We have been to Hawaii several times, Mexico and 25 cruises, and our day snorkeling in Curacao was the BEST experience ever!

Everything went off like clock work; Anita/Curacao Actief were professional and provided a quality product. We are ready to return and do a full day snorkeling in Curacao!!

Enjoy!

Kel

We just returned from a cruise on Brilliance of theSeans and spent a day on Curacao. It was spectacular and Curacao-Actief was superb. We had corresponded several times by email and our day long dive trip went off perfectly. We took our own masks but the Actief equipment was very good - especially compared to other places we've been in the caribbean. Ramsey picked us up at the pier and Claartje was our dive master. Claartje did an excellent job. She was thorough, attentive, informative, and most of all fun. While we enjoyed both dive sites, I particularly liked diving under the pier near the tugboat. It was like nothing I'd ever seen before. And we loved the dive, beach, and lunch at Cas Abao. That was the most beautiful beach we visited at any port on our 11 night cruise. The lunch was provided and was simple, ample, and tasty.

We have been on dive trips all over the Caribbean over the past 25 years and Curacao-Actief provided one of the best experiences we've ever had.

Ahhh! You are making me want to go back! It was a great day wasn't it. Next time we will definetly do an all day trip with them!

For all of those who have done excursions with them...This will be first time In Curacao.....would you suggest a half day and try and spend some time elsewhere or shopping (although not much of a shopper..prefer beaches and snorkeling)....or full day tour with Actief.....

Thanks

We took the 1/2 day tour. I wish we would have done the full day. We are like you...not much for shopping. The town is very pretty. But the snorkeling was OUTSTANDING! We learned more from our guide about Curacao than we would have around town.

You'll have fun whatever you do!

We have done two full day tours, and I would definitely recommend the full day. You can shop anywhere, but you won't regret spending the time with Curacao-Actief. There is just so much to see and do on this beautiful island.

On their website there are more than one tour... so is the whole day tugboat/snorkle tour the one everyone has gone on?

Anyone used actief lately? Since reading this thread we are looking at 1/2 day snorkel and 1/2 day land stuff. All with actief though. Any suggestions for the land part? We have all seen many caves so not as interested in that. History isn't our thing either. Nature is! The geyser sounds really interesting.

I would recommend the snorkeling tour only for strong experienced swimmers. They do not provide snorkel vests and the swim to the tugboat site from the beach can be harder than it looks.

Hi Everyone!

We just returned from our Maasdam cruise and spent a 1/2 day (last Sat 3/31) with Anita from Curacao Actief. We found the snorkeling at Director's Bay in Curacao to be the best we have ever experienced. We have been to Hawaii several times, Mexico and 25 cruises, and our day snorkeling in Curacao was the BEST experience ever!

Everything went off like clock work; Anita/Curacao Actief were professional and provided a quality product. We are ready to return and do a full day snorkeling in Curacao!!

Enjoy!

Kel

Hi Kel and Lauren! Mike and I are thinking of doing this tour on our cruise in March, so I was looking at reviews and saw yours. Great review by the way :). Hope you both are doing well and wish that you were coming with us on the Ruby Princess, March. 20th. Not a bit too late to change your mind! We enjoyed our day on the beach with you guys in St. Maarten. Hope to go back there again, but really looking forward to these S. Caribbean ports since it will be our first time there.

Take care!

Mike and Pam

Just got back Tuesday. The tour was great, especially our guide, Howard Newton. Was on an all day drove all over, had a picnic lunch, went snorkeling at a gorgous beach and hiked all over the coast. Really had a great time and I loved Howard. Ask for him if you get a chance. He is the best.

We took the 1/2 day beach & tug boat tour with Curacao Actief last Thursday. Yvette was our guide, and she was terrific! the snorkeling was amazing - one of our group remarked that it was like snorkeling in an aquarium! There were types of fish that I hadn't seen before, and the variety of colors was marvelous! We went to the beach at Caracas bay first, where Yvette provided us with vests & fins. We had our own snorkel masks & tubes. The water was calm & it was an easy swim to a beautiful collection of coral and fish. After a nice time there we returned to land where Yvette provided snacks and drinks. Then we headed over to the dive company near the tugboat -- the access from there seems to be the easiest. A little more strenuous swim this time, but not too bad. Again, the coral and the fish were amazing! More water when we came ashore, then we headed off to Ft. Nassau, near the harbor for some amazing photo ops of the harbor and our ship the Westerdam.

We got back a little before 1:00 pm, leaving enough time to do some shopping. It was a perfect day!

We just did a half day snorkel trip with Actief, on Feb. 7th and it was really good. They met us at the ship, took us to a beach to snorkel first, then on to the sunken tugboat site, which was really amazing.

The second snorkel site requires you to at least be able to swim, as it's a pretty good distance from the actual beach, but no strong current to contend with the and tug is in pretty shallow water. We saw a spotted moray eel there, too.

You do ride in an open air pickup, with bench seats in the back, so keep that in mind when booking. He also provided a typical snack food, and lemonade and water. We enjoyed ourselves, and recommend them.

Hi Kathi, Do you know which beach you snorkeled from? Were you able to see a lot of fish from that area? We are trying to decide whether to take a tour or just go to a beach and snorkel from there. Thanks for any info you can give us.

Sue

Hi Kathi, Do you know which beach you snorkeled from? Were you able to see a lot of fish from that area? We are trying to decide whether to take a tour or just go to a beach and snorkel from there. Thanks for any info you can give us.

Sue

I'm sorry, I don't know the name of the beach. It wasn't crowded, and there were a few tables and unbrellas that had "local" folks sitting at them. There was a large parking lot, so I wonder if it wasn't some public beach? there were no facillities that I saw for bathrooms or food.

As far as where the tugboat was, we took a road (near the fort) literally until the road ended. It was right by a drydock industrial area. There was a "closed" dive shop there, but we literally saw no other people. Our guide was annoyed, as he said his car had been broken into before while he was parked there, and he sort of relies on the dive shop to keep an eye on his vehicle. He said the dive shop "opens when he feels like it". There was a rock on the beach that someone had spray painted the word "tugboat" on the rock, so folks would know they were diving in the right place. I remember he told us to swim out to the pier with the #5 on it, and then the tugboat was between the rocks and the pier. It looked pretty close, but took some time to swim out and back. Sorry, I can't give you the names of the beaches.

Anyone know how many actual potty stops for the full day Wonder of Waters tour?

Can someone please provide the website

thanks

Hi All! My husband and I are sailing in October, and Curacao is our last stop. We'll be there from 7AM-6PM.

We will actually be there on our wedding anniversary, so we want a mix between seeing the sights of Curacao as well as having some leisure time. How does this sound to those of you who have been to Curacao?

9 AM- take a taxi to Blue Bay resort to rent a cabana, snorkel, etc.

12 PM- have Curacao Actief pick us up from Blue Bay for the East and City Highlight Tour (2.5 hours). Request to be dropped of at the Kura Hulanda Museum.

After this we would take a leisurely stroll back through the city to our ship (is this possible, or should we take a taxi?).

How does this day sound? Is there anything we should consider changing?

Edited by faith413

I'd like to hear from someone whose done Curacao Actief's "East and West Island Tour." All of Curacao Actief's tours sound very interesting, but I believe this is the only one in an air-conditioned van.