Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

scubalisa

Conquest Review 12/31/06-1/7/07- Days One and Two

Wow! What a busy and fun time!!!

First a little background: This was our 6th cruise and our 2nd on Carnival. I went with my dh 38, dd11, dd7, and my parents in their late 60's. We celebrated my parent's 40th anniversary on board. We were in Verandah 8205, which had two bunk beds that pulled down from the ceiling and a double bed in the middle of the room. Our cabin steward was outstanding and kept bringing the kids cookies, us chocolates and ice, making towel animals, kept the room spotless, etc.

We arrived at the Port of Galveston around 11:00 A.M. Sunday and did not have to wait in a very long line. We were on board by noon, but were not able to go to our cabin until 1:30. We bought coke cards, checked our dining assignment, and went to the Cezanne for our first lunch there. I had yummy fish and chips from Sur Mer, which I thought were fabulous and had 2 more times during the week. (A note- at the beginning of the cruise the Sur Mer line was short, but got longer every day. On the last day, I waited 40 minutes in line, as they cook it when you order). My dd7 had fettuccini alfredo from the pasta station, and ate it every time she could find it there again. I thought the buffet choices were very varied, and some things were excellent (deli sandwiches, Sur Mer, hot pasta dishes, fresh fruit).

After lunch, our room was ready. It was very bright and clean, but also very tiny for four people for 7 days. My girls loved the bunks and ladders and had the time of their lives playing and sleeping up there. The comfort bedding was cushy and warm. It was just lovely, and I was sad to leave it on the ship. We enjoyed our basket of goodies in the bathroom, too. I like how the tv was up high at the girls eye level, so we could turn on cartoons for them, and read "downstairs" on that comfy bedding without it blaring in our faces.

We all explored that beautiful ship until time for the muster drill. Our cabin steward brought my little one a child's life jacket, and we were off to stand at our muster station for what seemed like a long, long time. The person on the speaker told some jokes with the instructions to break the monotony, and things seemed to move pretty smoothly. My girls were both given bracelets with their station on them to wear for the week.

After that, it was time for our first dinner! Our waitress was Maria from Bulgaria, and we ate at 6:15 in the Renior. She was so kind to our children and always so friendly and beaming every time we saw her! She usually would reccommend a few things, and she was right on every time. She did some very neat napkin tricks for the girls and invited them to dance with her all the time, which they thought was a hoot! It was a special menu for New Year's Eve. I can't remember what I ate, but I do remember that chocolate melting cake for dessert. It was fabulous, and I had it almost every night after! We got hats and blowers at dinner. They also had free champagne everywhere for the holiday at boarding and midnight.

We went to the Welcome Aboard Show, which we enjoyed very much. Mark Price is hilarious, and made the cruise so much fun!!!!! He did a funny skit about romance on a cruise. There was a comedian there who was overweight and joked about his weight, which we did not like at all.

We went to the balloon drop dance in the lobby and stayed until after midnight. It was a blast. There was champagne, confetti, streamers, balloons, etc. everywhere. Our girls got to dance on stage. I can't remember a more fun New Year's Eve! Way to go, Mark Price! We finished off our night by visiting the New Year's midnight buffet. We ate a little of this and a little of that, but were too exhausted to really enjoy anything. Then, we fell into bed and passed right out!

When we woke up the next day, we saw beautiful blue water! We went to eat at Cezanne and had French toast (yum) and bacon. They alternated French toast and pancakes each day, so we always ate French toast on those days and omelettes on the others. The kids went to the Camp Carnival for the first time and loved it.

A word about Camp Carnival: These teachers have their game on. The 6-8 teacher just had my daughter's registration form and had never seen her (My husband filled it out the previous night without her). When we walked up she greeted my daughter by saying her name and knew which foods she is allergic to from memory! My husband and I went for a 2 mile walk and then went to the spa hot tub (our favorite spot) and relaxed until it was time to pick up the girls.

We went back to the Cezanne for lunch (pizza- great), and then took the girls swimming, even though it was really too cold. They stayed in the hot tubs almost the whole cruise (with all the other kids), as the pools were not comfortable at all. We had a long nap, got dressed for our first formal night, and headed to dinner. The lobster was pretty good, but not like Princess' ones that melt in your mouth. Once again, I had the melting cake, and it was to die for.

We stayed a little while for the Formidable show, and it looked like it would be good, but we decided we really just wanted to hang out on deck under the stars while we did not have the kids. We called it an early night, as we were still tired from the night before.

More later-----

Thanks for the review. sounds like you all had a great time. 22 more days for us.

Did you like the Renoir dining room? We requested the 6:15 time, but I've read that most like the Monet room.

Thanks Scubalisa for your review. I can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip! I appreciate the tip about Sur Mer getting busier as the cruise went on. We are hoping to book this cruise soon, and I know that my 12yr. old son and I will definitely want to get some Fish and Chips. My DH and 9yr old (then) DS will also be with us. :)

Diana

We're going Easter week on Conquest with 3 kids (8,10,11). Any opinions on early or late dining? As a couple we've always gone to late. Isn't it hard to get ready on time for early? I can't decide.....help!

We're going Easter week on Conquest with 3 kids (8,10,11). Any opinions on early or late dining? As a couple we've always gone to late. Isn't it hard to get ready on time for early? I can't decide.....help!

We had early seating on Paradise when we went in July. I didn't find it hard to get ready for dinner at all. I guess it would depend on what your interests are though. What you are doing before it's dinner time. I didn't really get in any of the pools or hot tubs, so there really wasn't a lot I had to do to be ready for dinner. LOL!

Diana