Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mowack

Liberty 6/3 Western Caribbean Questions

Looking to take our first cruise this summer and was planning on the 6/3 western caribbean cruise on the Liberty.

A few questions to you vetern cruisers out there

1) We have a 15 year old boy who thinks the cruise will be boring. Has this been the experience for anyone out there ?

2) Looking at a category 11 suite on the Empress deck. Any information on this type of room ?? Also what location is best on this deck ?

3) My wife uses a wheelchair to get around when she would have to be on her feet for more than 10 minutes or so. What experiences should we except, both good and bad, manuvering a wheelchair around the ship ??

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob

Looking to take our first cruise this summer and was planning on the 6/3 western caribbean cruise on the Liberty.

1) We have a 15 year old boy who thinks the cruise will be boring. Has this been the experience for anyone out there ?

2) Looking at a category 11 suite on the Empress deck. Any information on this type of room ?? Also what location is best on this deck ?

3) My wife uses a wheelchair to get around when she would have to be on her feet for more than 10 minutes or so. What experiences should we except, both good and bad, manuvering a wheelchair around the ship ??

Bob

I can only answer about the boredom for your 15 year old. We used to do Disney World every year until 1998 when we took a cruise with my son who was then 9. We haven't been back to DisneyWorld since. He wants to cruise every year and has now been on about 12 cruises.

Make sure your son goes the first night for the teen meeting. He'll meet up with all the other teens and then they will hang out with each other all week.

Bill

We will be doing the Liberty in September with our kids 20, 18 and 16 they are so excited to go - they have seen the tape of our first cruise and can't wait to cruise (party)!! They think they will have a great time with tons of stuff to do. They are all girls. Let us know how it goes for you.

If your 15 year-old is bound and determined to be bored, he will be. It won't matter what venue. The western itineraries are the best choice for active teens. The ports offer many exciting excursions.

The Empress deck is a wonderful deck. Having cabins above and below makes this a very quiet deck. The suites are mid-ship forward to mid-ship. I would try to get a suite as close to mid-ship as possible but they none of them are in a bad spot.

We took my mother-in-law on a cruise. She was still recovering from foot surgery and needed to use a wheel chair often. It was very easy to navigate the ship with it. We called ahead and were able to use a Carnival wheel chair for the entire week. We have read here that other cruisers were not able to do this so you may want to call ahead and ask if they will supply one or you must bring your own.

I can only answer about the boredom for your 15 year old. We used to do Disney World every year until 1998 when we took a cruise with my son who was then 9. We haven't been back to DisneyWorld since. He wants to cruise every year and has now been on about 12 cruises.

Make sure your son goes the first night for the teen meeting. He'll meet up with all the other teens and then they will hang out with each other all week.

Bill

I am so glad to hear this! We have taken 13 vacations at Disney World with our sons over the past 14 years. This year our sons gave us a cruise for Chirstmas! After the shock wore off, I began to wonder if we really wanted to go on a cruise or would we have more fun at Disney. We decided on giving the cruise a try and the more I read the more we are looking forward to the trip.

Bob

My mom and dad have a category 11, Empress deck on the Liberty booked. My mom had a category 11 on the Valor, and she they had plenty of room. My parents chose that room because my dad had a stroke last year, and while he has recovered 99%, he still likes to have lots of space. As far as manuvering a wheelchair it should be fine. Most of the hallways are wide enough, and the deck is definately big enough!

The best advice for your son to have fun is to be open minded and GET INVOLVED in activities and such. He will meet many people his age, if he looks for them (at teen meetings, events, etc.) If he does that, he is bound to have the time of his life! A schedule of activities will be delivered to your stateroom each day, make sure to read through it - if you don't, you could miss out on many fun things to do and important info. I have been on the Liberty twice and they have great fun. The shows at night are great too! They play movies on the Lido deck by the pool every night (starting the 2nd or 3rd night?).

Have fun!

I used to be just like your son -- I was an only child and never really enjoyed the prospect of going on trips alone with my parents. But as soon as I got there I ALWAYS made new friends! I bet your son will be walking away with new pen pals and begging you to go on another cruise, especially if he gets involved in all the teen activities.

I was bored when I went on a western carribean cruise with my parents when I was 16, and I got myself into some trouble looking to be entertained. I was not a trouble child, but boredom breeds opportunity for bad behavior. The teen group on that trip was a bunch of 13 year olds who already knew each other, so that was a bust. My parents were always wanting to do "relaxing" things, which to me at the time was too low-key.

My suggestion would be to make sure you don't assume that he is old enough to go off on his own and have fun. Plan to do a few things that will get him involved and be upbeat rather than "relaxing." Go with him to check out the sports options on the ship. Meeting other teens might help, or it might not depending on the group and the shyness of your son. Definitely try to sign him up for an adventurous excursion.

Hope that helps.

HI,

Too bad you are not booked on the 6/17 Liberty . We are and I have a 15 ( turning 15 on the ship ) and 12 year old son. My kids usually check out the teen and kids area but always hang with us. But, they love to cruise the 24 hours of eating is a huge plus with them. I booked a snorkel trip with Captain Marvin in Grandy Caymen. Half the cost of booking through Carnival. I always do my own excursions. Freeport we take a taxi to the Westin where they have Ocean Motion and spot on the beach where they have banana boats rides, jet skiing, etc. They loved that. Please email me if you have any other questions. ALso, my sons loved the shows at night.