Snorkel Equipment Question

Jodygirl

DH and I are going on a cruise in a few weeks and are planning to snorkel at Grand Cayman and maybe Cozumel. I found some snorkels and masks at Target for $10-$20 for a set. Are these decent enough to use? Or should we buy the higher dollar ones or use the ones provided on the tour? I'd like to take my own, but didn't know if the Target ones would be ok. We probably won't use them again for some time. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

Jody in KS

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;24;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500  Until our first cruise on the Sensation!

Fit is the most important aspect in choosing a mask. If it doesn't fit well, the snorkeling/diving experience will be greatly lessened. Whatever mask you choose to buy, be sure to try it on first, with the snorkel in your mouth because the shape of your face will change when you have something in your mouth and the mask fit will be different.

The better quality masks have real glass lens and silicon skirts. Store them in a cool, dark place as sunlight will degrade the quality of the silicon skirt.

<font color="FF6600">

if there's a way to construe my post as non-argumentative, please do so.</font>

Cruise photos on my Home page <font color="990066">

Spring Break was on the Grand Princess </font>21, March 2004

So when is the next cruise?

• 2 months later...

We got ours on sale at K-Mart. They have the silicon skirt so we never have a problem with water. We've used them on a couple cruises and in the river and they are still fine. If nothing else, take your own snorkel, at least you will know who's mouth was on it. I'm not sure the rental ones are cleaned well. Mostly I see them dunking them in some kind of solution in a barrel but I wonder how often that solution is changed.

My husband and I purchased gear at Costco for about $37 a piece and everything was excellent....carry case, fins, mask, breathing tube... I'd never snorkeled before either but you'll get the hang of it...I'm afraid of water and it took me a good two hours before feeling confident....not to mention that I really can't swim....but then I was soon addicted....still can't swim...but can't wait to snorkel again!

Spend the money and get the better set. The Costco set isn't bad. We bought the same set at BJs for DD and she loves it. When she gets older she'll get the "good stuff"! I agree with previous poster, you never know who's mouth was on it before you or how well they sanitize in other countries. We never go on vacation without our own snorkel gear :)

i've used snorkels, masks & regulators that were not mine in the past and have been fortunate enough not to get sick. so, i guess whatever they dip those things in must work. we have rented regulators and/or snorkels in bahamas, mexico, florida, grand cayman, hawaii & dive class with no problems.

i must mention in agreement with a previous post that the fit of the mask is very important. it took me forever to find a dive mask to fit as my face is a bit narrow, i guess. anyway, when mask shopping, put the mask on your face without the strap on your head. inhale through your nose. the suction on a properly fitting mask will hold it on your face. if you do get in the water and get water in the mask, don't panic. just blow through your nose and the air inside the mask will clear it out. you also may want to get some sea drops to keep your mask from fogging up. in a pinch, saliva also works.

on snorkels, it's nice to get the ones with the valve, so you don't suck in water that splashes into a snorkel occasionally. however, when you do get water in your snorkel just do a kind of ptooey thing and it will shoot it back out. if you have your own, you can practice at home so you don't freak out the first time.

Archived