Anybody been to Cayo Levantado?

Grammar Goddess

What an informative thread. :)

It really sounds like since we are not beach goers that this would be a good peaceful day to stay on ship even though it will be our first stop. I'll keep my eye on this thread as more go to this stop and see what develops.

• 1 month later...

Thank to all of those who took the time to post a bit about Samana. I wasn't looking forward to this stop but now I am. Thanks so much... I appreciate it!

Like the poster above me though, I'd like to know if the vendors are super aggressive. They were in Costa Maya, to the point of being obnoxious, so I'm wondering how it is in Samana. Thank you! :D

Just a note about the drinks...

Real coconut milk can cause diraherra...especially multiple drinks of it. I usually try to limit to one coconut milk drink and the rest soemthing else.

Of course I'm not saying to trust the water or ice...I'm just saying that you can get a little ill from them even when the water is fine.

Vendors on Cayo Levantado island have to stay on their assigned areas (market area) but whicle you are there they will try to sell you their products. Once you are outside the shopping area they are not allowed to follow you or sell elsewhere so if you are not interested just walk away.

Snorkling in Cayo Levantado is very nice and you will be able to rent equipment on the island.

This season the island will add a canopy tour and a sea lion encounter so it should be a very fun place to go to.

Best,

Bahia Cruiser

Vendors on Cayo Levantado island have to stay on their assigned areas (market area) but whicle you are there they will try to sell you their products. Once you are outside the shopping area they are not allowed to follow you or sell elsewhere so if you are not interested just walk away.

Snorkling in Cayo Levantado is very nice and you will be able to rent equipment on the island.

This season the island will add a canopy tour and a sea lion encounter so it should be a very fun place to go to.

Best,

Bahia Cruiser

Is the canopy tour through the cruise line?

The cruise on the Pearl that Romy and I are on is the first one in the Carribean that the Pearl makes after the Pearl returns from Alaska..I don't know how many crewmembers will still be on from last years Carribean sailings...Dennis

Beside the beach is there anything else to do in Samana? If you are not going to the beach is it worth getting off the ship.

Is there a town or any shopping, my husband is interested in cigars, that would be the only reason we would get off the ship. We did not book an excursion.

• 1 month later...

Our cruise is not until May, but I am interested in knowing more about this port. Any other advice or information? I know that you generally cannot take anything to eat or drink off of the cruise ship into port. I am wondering though if that would be safer than trying the local food, if allowed. How about bottled water off the ship or canned sodas ? I'm usually not a "picky" type,but would rather avoid any gi upset if possible. TIA Grammy

We just returned from a wonderful day in Cayo Levantado, and thoroughly enjoyed the West Indian type island buffet, and had no gastro-intestinal issues afterwards. The entire buffet is $15USD/pp, and if you want a 1lb. Caribbean lobster, add another $15USD/pp. Bottled drinks are extra, limited in variety, and several dollars each ($3-4?). You can get ala carte hamburgers and hotdogs at the buffet for $4-6USD respectively.

Feel free to ask any specific questions, and I'll try to answer.

Did you take the ships excursion or did you go on your own. If you went with the ship, did they take you directly from the ship to Cayo, and how long of a boat ride was it. Was there much to do at the beach.

Glad you had a nice time.,

Did you take the ships excursion or did you go on your own. If you went with the ship, did they take you directly from the ship to Cayo, and how long of a boat ride was it. Was there much to do at the beach.

Glad you had a nice time.,

We did the ship's shorex ($33/pp), and they tender you directly from the ship to Cayo Levantado. The boat ride was all of 10-15 minutes, but the loading/unloading process adds that again. You are close enough that while sitting on the beach you can see the ship. They have continuous tenders that leave back to the ship when full, and the last one was at 5pm.

The beach was fairly manicured and very nice. They rent paddle boats and snorkel gear, but I didn't see or hear any jet ski's the whole day. The beach faces kind of a "bay area", so the water is clear and pretty calm. This is more of a "lay on the beach and relax" type beach, not a party beach. Occasionally the beach staff (designated by their I.D. badge) bring out a very cute seal and a spider monkey to take pictures with. They have there own photographer that's takes the pictures, which they sell the at a designated area not far away. They discouraged us from taking our own photos of them, but it hard to stop a crowd.

As a part of the excursion, you are allowed to use a newer (but dirty) beach chair with the plastic straps, but for $3USD you can rent a nicer one with blue fabric. Most everyone opted for the complimentary ones as there were plenty to go around and you could hunt & drag one of your choice.

I snorkelled out to the right (facing the water), and followed the rocks about half a mile. I saw a few colorful fish, but nothing spectacular. On my return back to the beach, I snorkeled further out away from the shore in the sandy/grassy area and saw plenty of very large star fish at depths of 8-15 feet.

Once back to the beach, there is a bar cabana within a rock's throw from the water that serves mixed island drinks, beer, water, and sodas($3-5). If you venture a two minute walk away, you can get a drink in a coconut or a carved-out pineapple ($5USD).

A short walk on a stone/concrete trail takes you through the jungle to the buffet area and then the restrooms. They have a person assigned (noted by an I.D. badge) to keep the restrooms clean, and a tip box for your dollar. Facing the restroom on the left side are 3 showers.

When you decide to go back to the tender (a 4-6 minute walk), you can take one of two different trails one that goes through about 25-35 vendors, or one that passes maybe 10 vendors. They all give you their sales pitch like Mexico, but are not "grabby" like Jamaica or St. Lucia. Up for sale are Dominican/Haitian wooden carved voo-doo items, coffee beans, cigars, necklaces & handmade jewelry, palm woven hats/baskets, and plenty of colorful unframed canvas paintings.

The entire area is secured with personnel armed with batons or shotguns, and the feeling of security is good. It appears that anyone within the confines of this entire area were "allowed" to be there, not to say there weren't a few shady characters. As we were tendering back to the ship I noted several small armed "spotter" boats off in the distance protecting our ship from potential harm.

Overall our experience was very good, and I would like to enquire about staying there at the resort (you'll see it as you tender in) for a week.

Runitsajellyfish,

Thank you so much for your detailed response. I think you answered everyone of my questions. Thank goodness you said the vendors were not as pushy as those in Jamaica... I thought I would never get away from some of them,,, it was really kind of scary.

We are in port from about 9:oo am til 6:00 pm. Do you think there would be enough time to go to the beach and then maybe visit (walk around) the town of Samana. Could you get to Samana from Cayo, or would you have to go back to the ship and then take another tender to Samana? It would really be nice to do both.

Again, thanks for all the info.

NCL's $29 excursion says Note: Barbeque and a tropical lunch is available at an additional charge. Does anyone have any idea what that charge is? Is there any other reliable food outlet, or is a private island?

NCL's $29 excursion is actually $33 (I'm looking at my receipt). The "Barbeque and a tropical lunch" you are speaking of is the same one I mentioned above ($15/pp), and if you want to add a 1lb. lobster, add an additional $15/pp. As far as purchasing food elsewhere, it didn't appear to be an option, but there is a beautiful Gran Bahia Principe within walking distance. You may want to email them as they have several restaurants. I don't believe that Cayo Levantado is a "private island", but I get the feel that it's visitors are either from the cruise ship or the resort.

bahia-principe-cayo-levantado-informacion-01.jpg

This is a picture of Cayo Levantado from the Gran Bahia Principe's website. As you can see, there's not much to it, but it's quite beautiful.

Runitsajellyfish,

Thank you so much for your detailed response. I think you answered everyone of my questions. Thank goodness you said the vendors were not as pushy as those in Jamaica... I thought I would never get away from some of them,,, it was really kind of scary.

We are in port from about 9:oo am til 6:00 pm. Do you think there would be enough time to go to the beach and then maybe visit (walk around) the town of Samana. Could you get to Samana from Cayo, or would you have to go back to the ship and then take another tender to Samana? It would really be nice to do both.

Again, thanks for all the info.

You're welcome! You would most likely have plenty of time to do both, but as far as getting directly from Cayo Levantado to Samana, I don't think that was an option. I did see some non-ship people taking water taxi's which may have been resort guest going to Samana. You may want to contact the Gran Bahia Principe resort and see if you they offer service to Samana.

Mr. Jelly...Carolyn has not uploaded any of our pictures yet..We will post some here and also e-mail you some...We will look at your pictures tonight...It was great hanging with you and Ms. Jelly....LOL....Dennis

Mr. Jelly...Carolyn has not uploaded any of our pictures yet..We will post some here and also e-mail you some...We will look at your pictures tonight...It was great hanging with you and Ms. Jelly....LOL....Dennis

We had fun with you folks too. Thanks for all the dog biscuits! We got Kenny's pictures, and we're looking forward to seeing yours too.

-Jelly