Volendam, 7/28, Alaska, first time Class A cabin.

raylor1

Hi Everyone!

Just a quick last-minute post to see if anyone has any helpful hints regarding the Volendam in general, the new tip/service charge policy (we like to tip generously when deserved), fun things in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway.

We've been on HAL to Alaska once before, took Lois Munch's '56 Chevy tour, the land tour to Mendenhall glacier in Juneau and the White Pass railroad in Skagway.

We splurged on an "A" cabin with verandah, possibly #7067. Can't wait to see it! Previously, we were outside on the promenade.

Anyway, we are reuniting with Lois for a short time in Ketchikan, with some time to spare. We've already done Creek Street. What a hoot!

In Juneau we are standing by for a helicopter tour with ERA Helicopters on a travel industry discount. We go only if there's space available.

In Skagway, we may rent a car and drive to Whitehorse, or check into a dog sled tour.

All helpful advice gladly accepted.

We are staying at the Westin Waterfront the night before the cruise!

Looking forward to your replies!

Ray & Lorna

Ray and Lorna:

I sailed in May on the Volendam also in a Cat. A cabin and had just a wonderful time.

If you are interested, I wrote a review of the cruise which is located at:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=4829

You can also see some pictures from my trip and excursions in Alaska at the webshots site below my name.

Have a fantastic cruise!

Dave

We were on the Volendam on 06-02-04 and had a fantastic time. WE were in 7065 and it was a great location right at the elavators. One nice thing about the Volendam is you leave mid week The airport isn't as crowded and only one other ship was leaving Canada Place. We did the Era glacial landing and booked it after we got off the ship. Since it was Friday there was only one other ship there and they left at 4PM. WE also arrived at each port about an hour early so we were at Juneau at 1PM and had a little extra time. We were in Skagway early so if you want to watch the ship come in to port you better get up early. We rented a car in Skagway which worked well since it was raining we just drove up the klondike highway. In Ketchkan we got the walking maps from the visitors center and did both walks. Make sure you walk to the seafood prosessing plant as there are a lot of eagles there. We saw at least thirty at about 3:30. We loved the Volendam everything is so easy to get to. Make sure you try the toco bar at the pool the frajitas are very good we didn't try it until the end of the cruise when we got tired of the lido and we wished we had tried it sooner. WE enjoyed this cruise so much we are making plans to do it again next summer . same ship, same time

Ellen:

Thank you so much for your informative discourse!

I have printed your hints for our use.

If you're going again next year, that's a five star endorsement!

We leave the house in about 7 hours at this writing.

I should go to bed, huh?

Ray & Lorna

Archived