Hal's New Dress Codes

kakalina

I work all year with a suit on

jazzyman

Why do you have to work with a suit on?

Perhaps because it is expected by your employer?

Unfortunately... for you at least... HAL expects you to dress according to your their dress code.

Your best option if you don't want to dress up is to stick with Oceana.

I would.

Stephen

Formal nights,

SemiFormal

Casual nights

(what is the breakdown)

on the 3/23/07 Volendam....anyone know?

Assuming this is a 7 day sail, you will have 2 formal nights, most likely on your at seas days, and the rest are casual, as in country-club casual, not mow the grass on Saturday casual. Semi formal and or informal are history.

Actually Carnival does a decent formal night. Everyone looks like Prom Night.

You mean ruffled shirt and pale blue tux?:eek:

Actually I was quite wrong to use Carnival as an example of a casual cruise line. I should have said NCL or RCI.

I've only done one Carnival cruise... back in 1995 on the IMAGINATION. and Formal night was taken seriously and most people were dressed as required. I enjoyed the cruise. The only down side to me was the loud music playing everyone on the ship during the day. Way too much. Other than that, no complaints at all.

Stephen

The elimination of "informal" makes sense. This one has been a source of confusion to many for years now and as formal has gotten informal enough that one need not even wear a suit, the distinction between formal and informal has basically come down to a tie. Not worth it IMHO. The truth is that formal is now "semi-formal" since jacket and tie (for men) or pantsuits (for women) are included, and some would argue it has been since business suits and cocktail dresses have been (which is a very long time). In light of the fact that formal is really semi-formal, I don't think there's a need for an informal sitting between it and casual... And that's entirely aside from the fact that it confused the heck out of a lot of people. (I know, I know, people should read the definitions in their pre-cruise documents and on the web site... But whether or not they should have been confused, they were confused.)

I don't mind that jeans are no longer included among the "no-nos" for casual nights. I don't wear them but if they are nice ones (not faded, torn, etc.) then I don't see anything wrong with people wearing them on casual nights if they want to.

I do think "printed t-shirts" could cause some trouble. What about the kind of t-shirts intended to be worn under other shirts? Those are not printed, but I certainly don't think people should wear them to dinner. The nicer kind, with pockets, I guess I can live with.

I also don't mind that the dress code no longer applies to the entire ship. In reality, it is only the "formal" dress code that only applies to the restaurants (though the guidelines do not directly say this; rather, they simply omit the previous statement about observing the dress code for the entire evening). The "smart casual" standards - no shorts, tank tops, etc. - apply throughout the public areas as well, regardless of the evening's dress code. This is very important. I don't mind if people change into "smart casual" attire after a formal dinner; what I don't want to see is the likes of tank tops at any time in the evening.

All in all, I don't think these are bad changes. The truth is, they are just reflecting the way people have been acting for a long time to begin with. A substantial percentage of people have been ignoring informal nights, wearing jeans on casual nights and changing after dinner for a long time now, and HAL never did anything about it. By not enforcing those rules, they sent the message that they didn't matter. Now they're just making it official.

By not enforcing those rules, they sent the message that they didn't matter. Now they're just making it official.

And, HAL is being smart in my opinion. They are bending to the wishes of the majority of their passengers, who ... let's face it ... are paying good money to be on a HAL ship. Do you think HAL wants to anger all of these passengers by enforcing a dress code that many of them aren't adhering to?

HAL, like all businesses, has to stay in step with the times. We are becoming a less and less formal society. Whether people like this or not is a totally separate issue. The fact is, levels of formality in our society are declining. Heck, there was a time when people had to dress to the nines to go to work. Today most offices have relaxed dress codes, and even "Casual Fridays" for people who don't regularly meet with uotside clients. So, it stands to reason that people will be less and less willing to adhere to yesterday's more strict formal attire requirements on a ship either. So, HAL is just bending a bit by putting into writing dress codes that the majority of passengers can more easily live with.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I don't mind that jeans are no longer included among the "no-nos" for casual nights. I don't wear them but if they are nice ones (not faded, torn, etc.) then I don't see anything wrong with people wearing them on casual nights if they want to.

The only objection I have to HAL's policy in this regard, though, is that they don't make mention of the condition of the jeans ... just that jeans are permissible. That's gonna open up a whole big can of worms the first time a Matri 'd tries to deny someone entry into the dining room because of the condition of their jeans. I can well see a passenger making a good argument that not letting them in was discriminatory. Therefore, I can also see the dining room staff being very hesitant to deny anyone entry into the dining room ... no matter how "sloppy" their jeans look.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Sorry ... I am really having a problem with these boards lately ... especially during certain times of the day. Posts are completely disappearing ... then when I repost the same response ... lo and behold, there are both posts.

Blue skies ...

--rita

The only objection I have to HAL's policy in this regard, though, is that they don't make mention of the condition of the jeans ... just that jeans are permissible. That's gonna open up a whole big can of worms the first time a Matri 'd tries to deny someone entry into the dining room because of the condition of their jeans. I can well see a passenger making a good argument that not letting them in was discriminatory. Therefore, I can also see the dining room staff being very hesitant to deny anyone entry into the dining room ... no matter how "sloppy" their jeans look.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita,

Jeans are still very much a no no. Last week on STATENDAM they were quite clear about this. No jeans in the dining room. No exceptions. The HAL press release says 'slacks'. I guess the people that cannot understand what informal means cannot be expected to understand that slacks are not jeans!

It seems like the 'majority' who dislike formal nights and have gotten HAL to eliminate informal nights are now going to push HAL to say that 'smart casual' includes jeans. I wonder how much lower the standards will go.

Stephen

Rita,

Jeans are still very much a no no. Last week on STATENDAM they were quite clear about this. No jeans in the dining room. No exceptions. The HAL press release says 'slacks'. I guess the people that cannot understand what informal means cannot be expected to understand that slacks are not jeans!

But the FAQ on the website reads like this:

"Evening dress falls into three distinct categories: Casual, Informal and Formal. Comfortable, relaxed clothing is suggested for evenings designated as Casual; however, T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours."

Nothing in there prohibits jeans on casual nights. So, if they are prohibited, then HAL is creating mass confusion here and I can understand someone becoming upset after being told onboard that they can't wear them ... especially after they packed them. I'm curious how the "Know Before You Go" brochure reads in this regard now. I seem to recall there being nothing prohibiting jeans in that document either.

Blue skies ...

--rita

It seems like the 'majority' who dislike formal nights and have gotten HAL to eliminate informal nights are now going to push HAL to say that 'smart casual' includes jeans. I wonder how much lower the standards will go.

Well, at least I know jeans ain't allowed on the QE2, huh? :) Gonna have to go shopping at some point in the next month ... gotta get some clothing suitable for that ship. :)

By the way ... how am I gonna meet up with you? I think you're onboard that TransAtlantic sailing on the QE2 as well, right?

VeniceCruiser and I will be in cabin 4063. Maybe we can hook up and enjoy a drink together?

My email addy is kry.os@verizon.net if you want to contact me.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Sorry ... I am really having a problem with these boards lately ... especially during certain times of the day. Posts are completely disappearing ... then when I repost the same response ... lo and behold, there are both posts.

I think that happens because the "Replies" counter gets behind by two posts. The third post on the new page makes all three posts display because the "Replies" counter has caught up. I've reported this and it's being addressed.

Fred

But the FAQ on the website reads like this:

"Evening dress falls into three distinct categories: Casual, Informal and Formal. Comfortable, relaxed clothing is suggested for evenings designated as Casual; however, T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours."

Nothing in there prohibits jeans on casual nights. So, if they are prohibited, then HAL is creating mass confusion here and I can understand someone becoming upset after being told onboard that they can't wear them ... especially after they packed them. I'm curious how the "Know Before You Go" brochure reads in this regard now. I seem to recall there being nothing prohibiting jeans in that document either.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I guess we have to assume that it will say 'slacks' on casual night. Only those that want to push the wrong buttons are going to act dumb and plead that jeans are slacks.

Anyhow, when they get on board and read in the daily programme 'No jeans, T shirts or halter tops' they can hardly turn up at the dining room and expect to be admitted. If HAL are going to lower the bar so much as to permit jeans then they may well just completely give up and tell passengers that they can wear whatever they like at any time and any place on the ship. If you want to wear a tux while lounging around the pool or swim trunks in the dining room at night then go right ahead.

Cruising is supposed to be en elegant experience, not a chance to dress and act like slobs because, "I paid for my cruise", or "I wear a suit all year".

Quite right to try to attract younger passengers. In a few years the regulars will be so disgusted that they won't want to sail anyway!

Stephen

Well, at least I know jeans ain't allowed on the QE2, huh? :)

You've got that right ;) !

I don't think I've even seen anyone wear them during the day.

QE2, incidentally, is the one ship that still sticks with "formal" and "informal". And informal means jacket and tie. "Casual", per se, doesn't even exist; there is now an "elegant casual" which omits the tie restriction and is thus identical to HAL's "informal". But QE2's elegant casual is strictly for evenings where the ship is departing port after 6 PM.

(The less formal QM2 does have casual nights - as an example, my upcoming QM2 cruise is 3 formal, 1 informal, 4 casual.)

QE2's dining rooms still have signs outside them to the effect that jacket and tie is required for gentlemen at dinner, though this is not strictly true given the elegant casual nights that now exist on some cruises, where a tie is not required.

The bottom line, I guess, is that while dress codes are becoming more relaxed on HAL, do not expect the same thing on your QE2 crossing. Be prepared to dress up, or eat in the Lido... And then go right back to your cabin, since people do not change after dinner!

Well, at least I know jeans ain't allowed on the QE2, huh? :) Gonna have to go shopping at some point in the next month ... gotta get some clothing suitable for that ship. :)

By the way ... how am I gonna meet up with you? I think you're onboard that TransAtlantic sailing on the QE2 as well, right?

VeniceCruiser and I will be in cabin 4063. Maybe we can hook up and enjoy a drink together?

My email addy is kry.os@verizon.net if you want to contact me.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita,

Jeans on QE2?:eek: It ain't that bad. Some people will wear them during the day. I don't mind them at all...just that they should not be considered suitable wear for evenings on board... any ship!

4063. Not a bad cabin at all. Good location. Just a short walk to D stairwell.

I have your cabin number and so will give you a call. We don't have an assigned cabin yet. :-( We sail in Saga Rose in four weeks so I doubt our tickets will even arrive in time. Pier side pick up as they say.

Will e-mail when I know our number.

Stephen

Stephen, I was shocked on our recent Noordam cruise to see that on casual night the dress code did not say anything about no jeans. Just no workout clothes, shorts, tank tops or swin wear.Just read that from the daily program. We saw people in the dining room at night in jeans. Didn't like it.

Gayle

You mean ruffled shirt and pale blue tux?:eek:

Actually I was quite wrong to use Carnival as an example of a casual cruise line. I should have said NCL or RCI.

I've only done one Carnival cruise... back in 1995 on the IMAGINATION. and Formal night was taken seriously and most people were dressed as required. I enjoyed the cruise. The only down side to me was the loud music playing everyone on the ship during the day. Way too much. Other than that, no complaints at all.

Stephen

Hi --

Actually, the two Royal Caribbean cruises that I've sailed had a formal night. The most recent was a four night cruise to the Western Caribbean from FLL in September 2005. It had one formal night, and most folks that I saw were observing the "code."

Having not sailed NCL since 1990, I have no comment about them.

RCCL, however, has a traditional cruise experience with two seatings and formal nights.

I'm one of the younger set (late 20's) and have been on 1 HAL cruise before. I will be on the Noordam in March and I would be most disappointed to see denim in the dining room. I agree as a society we are dressing down BUT I really don't like the trend!! Casual dress brings casual attitudes - learned all about the research done by quite a few sociologists while in university. Anyway - I like to dress up as do my friends when we cruise. HAL administration, if you are reading this - My vote is for CLASS!!

This photo might help us clarify the dress code issue:

So this is what they mean by dressing for dinner.

Chris

Chris,

I sailed in that little MAASDAM.... on 1988 on her final passenger voyage when she was named STEFAM BATORY under the Polish flag.

On the last night a crowd of us filled the little bar up on Boat deck for a farewell.... everyone dressed formally... as they are in the photo.

Wonderful little ship. Two berth cabin... upper and lower bunks... no more than about 70 sq. ft. Single wardrobe, small stool and a washbasin. If you wanted a shower.... anytime down the alleyway. For a bath.. see the attendant and make a booking!

Stephen

My Grandfather crossed on the Maasdam at least twice in 1954.

And that looks like him in the White dinner jacket, in the middle.

Not certain, for the photo doesn't have enough resolution. But it LOOKS like him. At the time he would have been 56.

That would quite a coincidence if it is someone you know. I may be stating the obvious nad you knew this all ready, but did you know their are larger versions of the photo available by clicking on the icon just above the photo on the flickr page?

Lisa,

I've already sent an e-mail to the poster of the photo.

We'll see.

I know which sailings of the Maasdam by Grandfather was on that year (he may have been on one more, but I'm not certain) -- I have a box of tickets, menus, luggage tags, etc.

If it happens to be the same sailing, then my guess is that it IS.

Oh, and I sent a link of it to my Dad. He says it's granddad. So ... we'll see. :)

Archived