Transatlantic Cruises

ajtigger

When I first saw the 2005 transatlantic itineraries, I thought

1. So many days at sea!!!! (Star Clipper Tall Ships evidently take longer to do the crossing than the larger ships)

2. People comment a lot about the "movement" on transatlantic cruises, imagine what it would be like on these infinetly smaller ships!!

I WOULD LIKE FEEDBACK FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE DONE A STAR CLIPPER TRANSATLANTIC CROSSING.

How did you cope with the numerous days at sea? How was the "movement" situation?

Thanks for your feedback.

ajtigger

We did the transatlantic crossing on the Royal Clipper in October, 2003. The crossing was smooth as glass. We weren't exactly happy about this as we wanted a real sailing experience! We were rarely under sail as there just wasn't any wind. I understand that the April crossing was much the same way.

As for what to do with so many sea days? Enjoy the sea. Enjoy a good book. Enjoy your companions on board. The folks you are traveling with aren't the usual breed of tourists. They are generally well-traveled, educated, friendly and fun loving. You will find yourself enveloped in conversations and getting to know these people in depth. You may make lifelong friends. We encountered only one chronic complainer (and she was easily avoided). There are no Las Vegas style reviews but their are plenty of parties and events. The crew and the passengers provide all the entertainment. The captain lectures daily on sailing ships. You can stand watch if you want. You can climb a mast nearly every day. You can even watch movies on your in-room TV.

There's something about the sailing experience that's had to describe to those who haven't tried it. There is something about the sound of the wind in the rigging, the creak of the ship as it strains against the sea, and, yes, the sound of ice tinkling in my glass!

Archived