Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

canuk05

Warning...on Caribbean Princess

We just got of the CB Princess today (Jan28). A warning to all who have upcoming cruises on the CB. There is a strong odor of sewage. It is strongest on the Emerald Deck that we know of. Our room was E302 and our friends were in E308. We noticed a slight aroma the first day but is disappeared for several days. On the 5th day many people were commenting about the smell, while coming out of the Princess theater. There were occational wiffs i different areas of the ship. In our particular room I saw waste water bubbling up from the shower drain and the aroma was almost unbearable. This happened the sixth night and our room steward tried pouring something down the drain. It didn't help. The last night was the worst. We got up early for breakfast in order to get out of the room. After complaining to the pursers desk we were told that the ship was full so they couldn't move us. Thank goodness we were getting of the ship.

Is this new or have others had similar problems?

Uh oh, only 2 weeks to go and we are in E120. We were on the Sun Princess which had sewage smells on the outer deck that would come and go but in your cabin is a WHOLE nother issue. Hopefully as people return from your sailing they can add to this. Thanks for the heads up.

Kevin.

We were in baja 708 on the same cruise and also smelled the sewage smell. It wasn't overpowering in our area but was certainly present when we went out on the balcony on 3 different days. I attributed it to the fumes from the vent stacks being drafted back onto the ship. Certainly didn't ruin our cruise but was a minor annoyance that I would have prefered not to have smelled.

I'm not exaggerating! It may have been confined to several rooms in our area. But our friends were 2 rooms down and on the last night they also had the smell. The bubbling up through the shower drain was probably why it smelled so bad in our room.

We were on CB two weeks ago and noticed sewage smell on the Promenade Deck near the front, just aft of the Princess Theater. This would be directly below where your cabins were. We noticed the exact same thing in the same area on the Star Princess just over a year ago. May be something about the design of the Grand Class. The sewage system has to be vented somewhere.

I kept reading about this problem on the Star but now the same on the CB!:(We leave this Sat on CB and I hope on the Riviera Deck this isn't a problem. Maybe it is something that they can fix while in port. Hope, hope!

I"ve been on the CB 3 times and just got off the Carnival Holiday 2 weeks ago. On all of the cruises I've been on, I've noticed a sewage smell, at different points on the ship. Nothing as bad as what the original thread speaks to, but I have noticed it while walking down the hallways inside the ship, as well as outside the ships in certain area.

I'm guessing that every cruise ship has this issue, dealing with the volume of people it has and it's waste distribution.

We have been on the CB twice and have never noticed a sewage problem.

We leave on Sunday for another cruise on the CB, this time with a wedding party of 27, AND we are all staying on the Emerald Deck. Several members of our group have outside cabins on the same side as the OP mentioned. We also have cabins on the other side directly across from them. This is the first cruise for many people in our group and I recommended Princess and this particular cruise ship to them, so I pray there's not a problem. I plan to write a cruise review when I get back and will note any problems.

Canuk05, did you register a complaint with the Princess corp. offices when you returned? If not, I would be writing a letter as soon as possible noting all of the actions you took and reference comments made by other Cruise Critic members who were on the same cruise. It would be helpful to print a copy of their comments and include the page(s) with your letter. Make sure you send the letter to several management personnel. You may get some type of discount for a future cruise.

mfinn...I am in the process of writing a letter to Princess. As you suggested I will include the posts from here. I called Princess on Jan 29 and they told me it would be 4-6 weeks before hearing a response from them and that is by email.

mfinn...I am in the process of writing a letter to Princess. As you suggested I will include the posts from here. I called Princess on Jan 29 and they told me it would be 4-6 weeks before hearing a response from them and that is by email.

Good luck waiting for your auto response!! :eek:

We were on the Riviera Deck. I think it was on Friday that the outside vent adjacent to our cabin started to pour water on the decks below. After that I noticed a strong sewer smell in the hallway. Maintenance responded right away, working in the room where the vent was, opened outside doors to let the smell out and that was the end of it.

We just got of the CB Princess today (Jan28). A warning to all who have upcoming cruises on the CB. There is a strong odor of sewage. It is strongest on the Emerald Deck that we know of. Our room was E302 and our friends were in E308. We noticed a slight aroma the first day but is disappeared for several days. On the 5th day many people were commenting about the smell, while coming out of the Princess theater. There were occational wiffs i different areas of the ship. In our particular room I saw waste water bubbling up from the shower drain and the aroma was almost unbearable. This happened the sixth night and our room steward tried pouring something down the drain. It didn't help. The last night was the worst. We got up early for breakfast in order to get out of the room. After complaining to the pursers desk we were told that the ship was full so they couldn't move us. Thank goodness we were getting of the ship.

Is this new or have others had similar problems?

Gee, that certainly stinks...

Uh, I mean that's terrible!:D

When ships, or hotels, or office buildings have an odor due to a venting issue and the cruiser, or customer, or employee writes to the owner are they doing their community service by informing the owner of a problem or are they complaining in hopes of receiving compensation?

Just wondering how these letters read?

When ships, or hotels, or office buildings have an odor due to a venting issue and the cruiser, or customer, or employee writes to the owner are they doing their community service by informing the owner of a problem or are they complaining in hopes of receiving compensation?

Just wondering how these letters read?

I would think that anytime a letter of this nature is written it would be to inform the service provider in order to correct a problem. The service provider must then respond (offering compensation if appropriate) and correct the problem. If they fail to do so .. they run the risk of losing a customer(s).

Personally, I think if the persuer's desk was informed during the cruise ... the issue is being addressed and corrected to the best of the cruise line's ability. I'm not sure a letter is necessary ... JMHO.

I was on Lido deck, L103, we noticed a smell once and after that never noticed it.

We were on the exact same cruise as well.

We were on CB two weeks ago and noticed sewage smell on the Promenade Deck near the front, just aft of the Princess Theater. ... May be something about the design of the Grand Class. The sewage system has to be vented somewhere.

I smelled that also at that point on the 12/31 cruise. I think it is a venting problem. As for E308, there was no problem in that room on 12/31 cruise. Hope they fix it for the future cruisers.:cool:

We just returned yesterday from the CB and we had 14 cabins on the Emerald Deck. The sewage smell was very strong on the port side of the ship forward. We were in a mini-suite at the back and didn't smell it at all. Although, there was a problem with the sewage with the cabin above us and it was leaking out on their balcony. A service man had to come through our cabin to work on the issue out on our balcony. I noticed the metal grates were off of the walls several places down the hall and you could occasionally smell the sewage.

Canuk,

I was looking at the deck plan and it appears there is a ladies room right below the cabins you were in and it is right outside the theater. So you can imagine there are times when that ladies room would be used alot. Before and after a show! Still no excuse, but gives folks one more thing to beware of when booking a cabin...

We just returned yesterday from the CB and we had 14 cabins on the Emerald Deck. The sewage smell was very strong on the port side of the ship forward. We were in a mini-suite at the back and didn't smell it at all. Although, there was a problem with the sewage with the cabin above us and it was leaking out on their balcony. A service man had to come through our cabin to work on the issue out on our balcony. I noticed the metal grates were off of the walls several places down the hall and you could occasionally smell the sewage.

Yikes that doesn't sound good - I am sure they will have the problem fixed soon - and they will address it some more when they go in for a dry/wet dock and new bedding in early may