Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rtrtx2

Brewed coffee really extra $$ ?

Just started to research a possible cruise on the crown princess, just came across a review that stated you must pay for brewed coffee. The only free coffee is instant coffee in the buffet area. Is this true? We have cruised many of the other lines that charge for specialty coffee, but all have had free coffee in the buffets and dining rooms. Are there any other extras that perhaps are included at no cost on RCCL, Carnival, NCL, or Disney?

Princess additional charges: Hot chocolate, cappuccino, espresso, lemonade, good coffee and anytime ice cream are all additional. You can buy a coffee card and a ice cream card which will cost around $100 for two people.

For years, the coffee in the buffet has been from syrup. Have no idea about the other lines, however my one Carnival cruise was also from a concentrate.

Not to defend Princess or anyone else, but just how would you attempt to brew coffee for close to 4000 crew and passengers on a mega ship. Just how big would that Mr. Coffee machine have to be?

They used to brew coffee.

I suspect the "bead-counters" have identified a way to make more profit. The people as non-marketeers, tforget that any organisation's biggest asset is a truly satisfied returning customer.

$100.00...that seems like alot of coffee and ice cream....is that unlimited for an entire 10 day cruise??

I found the $2 it cost for a good cup of specialty coffee was well worth it. The other coffee was pretty bad.

The free coffee from concentrate is perfectly fine for the vast majority of the passengers. If you want specialty coffee brewed from beans, you can purchase a coffee card.

There are probably many reasons cruiselines offer coffee from concentrate. Not only is brewing it less efficient but also, they have waste disposal to consider. If cruiselines are holding their prices with coffee from concentrate, that's fine with me. I'd rather pay less or a reasonable amount to cruise than have to have brewed coffee. After all, if you want brewed coffee, you have the option of paying for it.

Princess additional charges: Hot chocolate, cappuccino, espresso, lemonade, good coffee and anytime ice cream are all additional. You can buy a coffee card and a ice cream card which will cost around $100 for two people.

Just off the Island Princess last month and never saw an Ice Cream card?

The coffee card was 27.xx for 15 speciality coffees and that included all the free brewed coffee in the Pastoria (sp). Happy Cruising!

Just off the Caribbean Princess a week ago. I checked into the coffee card and it was $27 and was good for 15 specialty coffee drinks (cappucino, espresso, mocha, etc.) but was not good for a cup of brewed coffee. It was $1.25 for a large, which was much better than the syrup stuff in the buffet.

Just off the Caribbean Princess a week ago. I checked into the coffee card and it was $27 and was good for 15 specialty coffee drinks (cappucino, espresso, mocha, etc.) but was not good for a cup of brewed coffee. It was $1.25 for a large, which was much better than the syrup stuff in the buffet.

They must have just changed that as I would have cappucino and hubby would have a cup of coffee in the Pastoria bar. We have done this all last year or whenever they started the card. Happy Crusing!

We specifically asked about brewed coffee and the bartender told me that it was not included on the coffee card, I would have to pay for it even if I had the card. That was the main thing that I wanted so I decided not to get the coffee card. I spent less than $27 getting my morning coffee by the cup.

I did get a mocha in the dining room a couple of times with dessert. For $2 I though it was a real bargain!

We specifically asked about brewed coffee and the bartender told me that it was not included on the coffee card, I would have to pay for it even if I had the card. That was the main thing that I wanted so I decided not to get the coffee card. I spent less than $27 getting my morning coffee by the cup.

I did get a mocha in the dining room a couple of times with dessert. For $2 I though it was a real bargain!

Not to defend Princess or anyone else, but just how would you attempt to brew coffee for close to 4000 crew and passengers on a mega ship. Just how big would that Mr. Coffee machine have to be?

NCL offers brewed coffee in both the buffet and in your stateroom. They use Folgers (regular and de-cafe). In addition, cappuccino and espresso are also available after dinner at no charge. We were impressed, compared to years of a la carte on Princess.

If it hasn't all ready been mentioned, ice cream is only something you pay for outside of the dining room. At lunch and dinner you can have as much as you want. There's even a couple of opportunities to "create your own Sundae" on the dessert menu. And in regard to the coffee...I didn't think the coffee from the buffet was bad at all (but that's such a personal thing for people). The coffee card was great for the cafe latte and cafe mocha (they'll even do it decaf for you) and there were some other specialty coffees they offered as well. The cafe mocha was as good as ice cream!! I'd buy the coffee card again.

Excuse me -- Folgers? You mean the stuff that has been pre-ground and sits in a can for years?

When I think fine brewed coffee, I think freshly ground whole bean coffee from imported roasted beans that probably costs $15 to $20 a pound and is offered in the finest restaurants...and not that Starbucks stuff.

I also like my coffee the european way, thick enough to stand a spoon in.

But, a regular cup of coffee as long as it isn't the horrible British instant out of a glass jar kind is OK by me for normal consumption. I would like all of the coffee aficianados (I really need to learn to spell that word) that think Princess coffee is so terrible to tell me what GREAT coffee they are served on other ships!

This is the first time I saw mentioned about an ice cream card??

Is there really such a thing??

A coffee card??? What's next . . a napkin card? :rolleyes:

I'm actually happy about the coffee card if it includes the Mocha's. If it's unlimited, the cruise line is in trouble! That'll save us a $100!!! We drink a lot of those.

On those lines though, I can see these 'cards' getting out of hand. Let's see, we can do food cards so you're only entitled to 3 visits to the buffet per day or . . hmm . .

I drink coffee free in the dining rooms after dinner and it is fine, I don't buy the coffee card because the coffee tastes good. I also drink a cup r two in the horizon court and don't mind it either. ;)

Just like I never order an egg crate mattress pad and never will. :D

I am definately not the coffee aficionado...but Ice Cream card you say???

I had the buffett Ice Cream:eek: can you say YUCK!! Scoops is the way to go! Death by chocolate is a must!!

I need confirmation on the Ice Cream card, how much $ for how many:p

NCL offers brewed coffee in both the buffet and in your stateroom. They use Folgers (regular and de-cafe). In addition, cappuccino and espresso are also available after dinner at no charge. We were impressed, compared to years of a la carte on Princess.

Sorry Wrong!! Stood there last year on NCL Dawn as they poured this awful concoction into the urn in the buffet and added water!:eek: Also same for the "fresh squeezed" orange juice.!!!!

On the Caribbean Princess, we drank the free coffee in the dining room and the buffets. Although we were told it was made from a syrup, we thought it tasted very good. No complaints here.

I drink coffee free in the dining rooms after dinner and it is fine, I don't buy the coffee card because the coffee tastes good. I also drink a cup r two in the horizon court and don't mind it either. ;)

Just like I never order an egg crate mattress pad and never will. :D

Yeah, well, you're a tough guy!:D :D

The quality of the coffee in the Horizon Court varies from ship to ship. On the Star, Diamond & Sun it was fine. Not gourmet, but not undrinkable burnt motor oil. On the Island it was vile.

I'm actually happy about the coffee card if it includes the Mocha's. If it's unlimited, the cruise line is in trouble! That'll save us a $100!!! We drink a lot of those.

The card buys you 15 specialty coffees. The only unlimited coffee (if any) is regular brewed coffee. Sorry!

Can anyone tell me about the quality of coffee ordered from room service? I was on the TP in 2004 and was reduced to drinking tea the coffee was so bad. At the time I wasn't aware that there were different qualities of coffee at the bars. I wish I had known. I will return this summer to the TP and maybe insted of going up to the Horizon court I will just do room service. We are early risers and enjoy our coffee at sun up. It is beautiful to see. The bars often don't open until 7. Please advise. Thanks

Thanks for all the replies! I actually thought when it was said "instant"coffee that they literally meant you got hot water and instant coffee. If most of the other lines use syrup, thats good enough for my hubby(he has never complained yet). Now the lack of free ice cream, I guess we can survive that too.

Just off the Island Princess last month and never saw an Ice Cream card?

The coffee card was 27.xx for 15 speciality coffees and that included all the free brewed coffee in the Pastoria (sp). Happy Cruising!

I just got back from the Crown Princess in November. They did offer an ice cream card. I think it was something like 25.00 per person for 10. Does anyone know the exact cost and how many are included?

By the way, there is free ice cream on the closed side of the buffet every day for one hour only. Weird flavors.....cantaloupe ice cream anyone? I kid you not!