Children dress code formal nights?

doogal

Doogal:

I wouldn't let the posts on this board affect your vacation plans. My family and I have also booked on the Galaxy for March, and we have two of the youngest kids yet -- 7 and 4. I've seen lots of people talke about 9 and 10-year-olds and teens going on Celebrity cruises, but have yet to see a family "dare" attempt to board with a 4-year-old. :D

Still, I'm sure we'll be fine. I'll keep an eye out on my kids, and if they misbehave, I'll reprimand them. If the 4-year-old starts to get loud in the dining room, we'll remove her and give her a good talking-to outside, where no one else will be disturbed. We'll make sure they do not go anywhere that is designated for adults only, including hot tubs and pools. We won't take the kids to the theatres. We'll make sure they don't run down the hallways or walk in the middle or block doorways or push all the buttons on the elevators. We'll make sure they say Excuse Me and Please and Thank You. We'll make sure they get plenty of rest so they are not too grumpy at nights, and therefore, more fussy.

And you know what? That's what we do pretty much everyday. We make sure the kids behave, no matter where we go. They don't run around like madmen and they definitely don't do anything as crazy as pushing elevator buttons just for fun. Whether we're dining at Morton's or Denny's, we make the kids eat with manners, and if the little one gets fussy, either my husband or I take her outside and talk to her to calm her down. We try not to take them to adult-oriented places, but when we do, we make sure they nap that afternoon so they are in a good mood. I've taken my older one to the Kennedy Center for ballets and performances, and beforehand, we talk about proper behavior, and she's so used to it by now, she knows -- certain places requires certain behavior. A couple of weeks ago, we went to Ruth's Chris for dinner on a Sat night, and our daughters were the only kids in the entire restaurant. They had their naps that afternoon, they dressed up, and I brought coloring books to keep them entertained while we waited for our food. Not a peep came out of either one of them. They said thank you and please to the waiter, and overall, behaved very well.

So if you are a parent who minds her children on a regular basis and in your daily lives (and I believe you are), then I don't believe you will have any issues on a cruise, regardless of which cruiseline you sail with. Just go and have fun -- some people will not care for kids, regardless of how well-behaved the children are, but you will encounter them everywhere you go, but that doesn't mean you will stop leaving your house, right? So go on the cruise, and have a great time! Make sure to tell us how things went!

Linda

Doogal,

Don't change your plans! You asked if we ever sensed a little hostility from other cruisers while on our cruise...and I can honestly say no. It could be that I wasn't looking for it either! Personally, as long as I feel that my children are behaving appropriately and are not somehow affecting anyone else's good time, I don't look for approval from anyone else. I realize that there will always be cranky people of all ages who wish children were not on planes, boats or restaurants. I insist that my children behave in these circumstances otherwise I remove them (though sometimes you just can't help a crying baby on an airplane!). There will always be some cranks around, especially on cruise ships it seems, but I just ignore any unwarranted dissapproving glances from them and have a good time. And for every "evil eye" you may see, there will likely be 10 approving eyes or friendly comments from a grandma who talks to your children on an elevator. It's just sad that some folks go through life looking for the negatives in any situation, instead of looking at the glass as half full.

Now, the 11 (yes, eleven) children in our group of 21 ranged in age from 7 to 17 so they are not babies or toddlers. They actually all sat together at a large table in the Millie dining room next to our "parents table" of 10 every night. I imagine that the tables of adults on the other side of their table groaned upon seeing them the first night all trooping in :eek: . The kids behaved and dressed appropriately (I think I saw a french fry fly across the table one night from a brother to his little sister and they were admonished by the parents!). The wait staff were GREAT...bringing out their food promptly, entertaining them sometimes with jokes or card tricks between courses. They often would eat more quickly than the adult table and then leave for their teen activities or to play games in the card room etc.

We have cruised on Carnival, RC and Celebrity and have had a great time on all trips (it's all about managing your expectations!). For us now though, even with the slightly older clientele on Celebrity, we find it's a good fit for us. Better food, interesting itineraries, a more upscale feel to the ships, a classier group of passengers along with a strong program for the kids. I'd rather have a few grumpy old men/women to politely ignore (and ALOT of wonderful passengers of all ages) than a boatload of out-of-control kids or party animal adults for whom it appears they rarely travel or eat out someplace nicer than Outback :rolleyes:

Go and enjoy the Galaxy...I bet it'll be better than you expect!

Lynne

Remember the Woody Allen schtick from 'Annie Hall'

Two frumpy women are in the dining room of a resort in the Catskills. Half way through the meal one woman looks to the other and says, "The food here is simply aweful", and the other responds, "Yes, and in such small portions".

X has a noticeable (small) portion of passengers aboard that are like the above "ladies". They're even more abundant on this board. Ignore them, or pity them, their lives are miserable.

If the itinerary and price is right sail X. The ships are very nice, the service and dining is even better.

You'll be fine dressing as you've suggested; you won't be alone. Those that say otherwise, in their spirit of self-righteousness are simply misbehaving. :)

caviargal,

While I understand that your family and your son were upset by the behavior of others on the cruise, IMO they had the right to make a decision to avoid what they considered to be potential issues. It was after all, their vacation, just as it was yours.

There is no way to pre-judge whether a child will be well behaved. Why not alleviate the possibility early on than when it is too late to change tables later in the cruise? I have asked to be moved when the table of adults next to us were so loud and obnoxious as to make dinner a chore instead of a pleasure. And when dining in a restaurant at home, I will generally request a table away from families with children. That is my right as a customer, IMO.

The point is that we all have an expectation of what we want on a vacation and there is nothing wrong with making proactive changes that can make it a better experience.

Yes, there are some of us that prefer the company of adults and that does not make us bad people.

Here, I have to say that the other couples acted improperly on at least a couple counts.

>> 1. When children enter the dining room and sit down in an orderly way, there is no reason to expect that they will become disorderly. Indeed, the tangible evidence is that they are well bred, so that should be the immediate presumption.

>> 2. The manner in which the couples at the adjacent table asked to be moved obviously created a noticeable disturbance that was unsettling to other passengers in its own right. Such disruptions are also an additional burden on the waitstaff and the maitre d'hotel at a time when they are very busy trying to show all of the other passengers to their tables and get everybody settled. The proper course of action, if they really felt that they needed to change tables, would have been to tolerate the assignment for the first evening and then to call the maitre d'hotel during the next day to request a reassignment rather than to create an additional disturbance at such a time.

Again, I must say that the children that I have met cruising -- both on Princess and on Celebrity -- have consistently conducted themselves as young ladies and gentlemen. The parents should be very proud of their protege. I welcome children onboard, even at my table, any time!

Norm.

woodofpine,

if you son at 8 is wearing a white shirt, tie, and dark trousers. That's what mine wore at that age and younger; he's 10 now and wears a dark jacket, pants, white shirt and tie... the 'monkey suit' which on young boys with certain hair cuts actually looks like a monkey suit! :D

Anyone pushing tuxedos and actual suits for kids this young (as a necessity) need a reality check. Probably too much listening to the Beach Boys "Wouldn't it be Nice!".

Sorry if it offends you, but what's proper is to comply with the prescribed dress code regardless of one's age. If the cruise line intends a different standard of dress for younger children, the onus is on the cruise line to prescribe it. If the cruise line does not do so, children should conform to the same standard of dress as adults.

Now, what is the most practical way to do that? The answer varies.

>> If the child has a dark suit to wear on other occasions (there are religious groups in which the children wear suits to services, regardless of age, for example), that's acceptable for "formal" evenings because it's within the prescribed dress code.

>> If the child does not have a dark suit, it's likely that rental of a tuxedo will be less expensive than buying an inexpensive suit. All tuxedo shops do have tuxedos for children of all ages, as they rent them quite often for "ring bearers" and "junior ushers" in many wedding parties.

And, in any case, on Celebrity, a sport jacket or "blazer" is in order for the "informal" evenings.

Now, that's what is proper. What is "gotten away with" is another matter entirely....

Norm.

I really don't know why I am getting so worked up over this. I am generally a very easy going person. I guess it's the "momma bear" coming out in me. I have never really put my children in a situation where there was a very possible chance that they would not be "wanted" there. So all this "information" that I am getting is a little overwhelming. My need to overplan everything is not working to my advantage this time. As they say

" It's too much information". I should probably just stay off the boards, go

on my cruise and have a great time.

Thanks to everyone for all the great input and words of encouragement. I really appreciate it!

Dianna

caviargal,

Again, I must say that the children that I have met cruising -- both on Princess and on Celebrity -- have consistently conducted themselves as young ladies and gentlemen. The parents should be very proud of their protege. I welcome children onboard, even at my table, any time!

Norm, I do not agree that they should have waited to be moved. When I have been unhappy with tablemates (seated with 4 honeymoon couples who spoke no English, etc) I have also excused myself and spoken right away to the Maitre'D. The first night is when he is handling all of the requests for changes. I have never had a problem.

It is nice that you have not had an issue with kids on your sailings. But I have over the course of the past 5-6 years especially.

Our early December cruise was not at all as expected. I did not anticipate so many infants and children to be aboard and many were running around with no parents in sight. Even planning to cruise when there should be a minimum number of kids aboard does not work well anymore due to the popularity of home schooling and many parents being willing to take their children out of school for vacation.

We ended up in ala carte dining every night in order to have a quiet dinner.

The family focus on most lines has caused me to choose alternate vacations.

Doogal:

I wouldn't let the posts on this board affect your vacation plans. My family and I have also booked on the Galaxy for March, and we have two of the youngest kids yet -- 7 and 4. I've seen lots of people talke about 9 and 10-year-olds and teens going on Celebrity cruises, but have yet to see a family "dare" attempt to board with a 4-year-old. :D

Linda

Our first cruise was on X's Galaxy and our son was 3 1/2. NOT A SOUL gave us the evil eye! It was during the school year and so it was only him and a 9 year old girl in the children's program (I did see some infants on board, but never heard them). All of the staff and most passengers really doted on our DS and he felt so special. He asked to meet the captain, and we were given a private short meeting with him, where the captain just scooped him up in his arms and spoke with him face to face (great photo!), and he remembers this cruise as the only one where he got to meet the captain (more than two years ago).

I wish I could post the photo of DS in his suit and tie from October (I've tried several other times without success!), but he is quite handsome. Sorry to those who think a 5 year-old is too young to wear a suit, but he's not! Maybe some are, I can't speak for someone else's child.

Doogal - if your children are polite and well-behaved, dressed appropriately and respectful, your family will have a great time! If some people don't want to sit around children, that is certainly their perogative. When I play in mixed golf tournaments, I specifically request not to be teamed with men that hate women golfers (most are pretty obvious), because I'm out there to have fun. That's my choice. So go, have a great time and take lots of photos, and make little scrapbooks for your children after the trip!

Linda,

Why not?

Celebrity's shows are very family oriented, and not overly long. Your children will love them! By all means, do take them to the shows.

Norm.

Thanks, Norm. I was under the impression that the theatres were "adult only" venues. Maybe that's just what some posters would like those of us with kids to believe ... ;)

Anyway, knowing my kids, they will probably have more fun in the Kids Club after dinner. But trust me when I say that if we do take them to the theatre and they start to get restless ... they will be out of there fairly quickly! Actually, come to think of it, you may hear my husband snoring in the theatre before your hear a peep out of our kids. :D

Linda

Personally, I've never been on a cruiseline on formal night wearing less than a tux with my wife in a gown. My daughers are in "Easter" type dresses or gown and my son at 6 was in dark pants, white shirt and tie...

and I'm "getting away with something!" :rolleyes:

I luv it!

Earth to Norm: (Spoken in Nasal Tone)

On your planet infants and toddlers wear tuxedos - or put them ashore.

How about the service dogs Reverend-Commander Norm? The Code does not distinguish these passengers, Fido wants a tuxedo! (woof), FiFi needs a gown! (arf)... Put your leg down Fido - your wearing a tux! just like wood there! Fido - eat the children! Eat the children! - they are not wearing jackets... Does not compute!! Does not compute!!

:D :p :D

Sorry - if we damaged YOUR vacation Norm. ;)

Hello,

I thought I'd pass this along - I was shopping today at Target getting Valentine's for my ds. I saw they had suits for boys. Not bad ones at all - rayon/poly blend, Navy or black, Pants and 3 button jackets. About $45 for the set.

I got my 6 yr old ds one for our upcoming cruise and it looks great!! Really cute and fits well (at least for now ;))

I almost bought him a suit at Nordstroms last weekend for over $200! He already has shirts, shoes and ties so this was a no-brainer. Just an FYI for those shopping.

caviargal,

Norm, I do not agree that they should have waited to be moved. When I have been unhappy with tablemates (seated with 4 honeymoon couples who spoke no English, etc) I have also excused myself and spoken right away to the Maitre'D. The first night is when he is handling all of the requests for changes. I have never had a problem.

So you think that creating a major disturbance in the dining room was the right way to handle the situation???

Also, the first night normally is NOT a time when the staff are juggling seating assignments. Rather, it's a time when the staff are trying to get everybody to their assigned seats. There often are not unassigned tables to which they can move somebody.

And even if I landed with tablemates who spoke a foreign language, I would not make a scene. Rather, I would make the best of the situation and ask to be reseated in a discretee way.

Norm.

caviargal,

So you think that creating a major disturbance in the dining room was the right way to handle the situation???

Also, the first night normally is NOT a time when the staff are juggling seating assignments. Rather, it's a time when the staff are trying to get everybody to their assigned seats. There often are not unassigned tables to which they can move somebody.

And even if I landed with tablemates who spoke a foreign language, I would not make a scene. Rather, I would make the best of the situation and ask to be reseated in a discretee way.

Norm.

Norm, we shall agree to disagree on this one. I prefer to have tablemates with whom I can converse. And, I always change my tables on the first night should it be necessary and have never had an issue.

As to how "major" the disturbance was, I think one would have had to be there and not be emotionally involved to assess that objectively.

My family will be sailing on the Galaxy March 26th and I was

wondering if my 8 year old son really needs to be in a suit or jacket.

We were on RC Legend of the Seas last March and he didn't wear one.

He just wore dress shirt and tie and it was not a problem. This is our first Celebrity cruise and I know it is a little more upscale. If any one has any input, would appreciate it much.

We traveled in November on Galaxy in the Med with our 12 and 8 year old sons. My oldest son will need a suit for his Bar Mitzvah in April so I bought a very nice charcoal gray suit from Lands End (clearance) for a total of $50. My younger son who is also your son's age wore a black blazer and dark charcoal gray wool pants for formal nights, also bought on clearance from Land's End. Both boys wore nice dress shirts and ties with their formal attire. For the informal and casual nights they wore navy blue blazers (Kohls on clearance) shirts with ties or shirts without ties and khaki's. They always dressed appropriately to the requirement of the evening's dress code. I also saw another young boy on our cruise who was wearing a navy blue blazer and navy blue pants. I was talking to the mom and she said she was not going to spend a fortune on dress clothes he was only going to wear on the cruise so she "created" a suit for him using the blue blazer. He looked perfectly appropriate. No one seemed to have any negative comments on the way my boys were dressed. The only comments I heard where how nice my boys looked and how well mannered they were (at least they are in public which I'm grateful for). And we were on a cruise that the younger people really stood out.

Don't sweat it just remember to dress your son appropriately to the night's dress code, have good public manners and you'll be fine. The nasty kid haters battalion will alway find something to crank about, don't worry about them.

Eileen

caviargal,

As to how "major" the disturbance was, I think one would have had to be there and not be emotionally involved to assess that objectively.

I was not there, either. Nonetheless, if it was unsettling to passengers at another table, as in this case, it seems pretty obvious that it was much more disturbing than it should have been.

Norm.

Archived